The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 21, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #706 of 8,352
Quote:
This thread might save me a lot of money.  After years using IEM's I fancy some change and like to try now some proper headphones.  I thought I get the v-moda M80 but then I discovered this thread.  Carbon nanotubes....cool!  The price is also right and the reviews are pretty good too reading between the lines  :wink:

Re the above eBay earpads I just like to point out that in the description it says  that they might be seconds with possible defects.  I hope it works out for those who already ordered them.

As someone who bought the SA500's and the M-80's within a week of each other, I am glad you think you would be content with the former. Don't try on the M-80's. Hint: even without burn-in the M-80s sound way better. But hey, it also costs 3x as much ($50 vs $150) and ignorance is bliss.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #707 of 8,352
Quote:
Your Crazy!

thanks! 
bigsmile_face.gif

cant wait for my S500, once they are here i will give them "Burn Them To Hell",  2 weeks of non-stop , then i will report back.
L3000.gif

My journey to buying cheap IEMS is over., way?  =   FX40
Almost 100% sure nothing under $20 bucks sounds better.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #708 of 8,352
Quote:
As someone who bought the SA500's and the M-80's within a week of each other, I am glad you think you would be content with the former. Don't try on the M-80's. Hint: even without burn-in the M-80s sound way better. But hey, it also costs 3x as much ($50 vs $150) and ignorance is bliss.

That's interesting... Dsnutz posted some impressions way back against the M-80s in favor of the S500s.  

I have no dog in this fight.  I do admit my favorite purchase of recent is the GR07 Mk IIs, but these are a not too distant second (going off sonics alone).

I probably would be more interested in the M-100s so I'll keep an eye on those.

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #709 of 8,352
Well I think it is more dependent on what genres people listen to more than anything. The M-80s are a nice can for certain but I find the bass a bit lacking on them as well as the top end, kinda soft in these regions.. The HA-S500 make up for that for me..I think the HA-S500 will shine with synthetic music more vs natural being the strong suit of the M-80s. But then again the HA-S500 does everything I have just fine..Just my opinion of course but I think the HA-S500 is more versatile than the M-80s..

For gaming and movies. There is no comparison really..

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #710 of 8,352
Initial impressions...like a half hour's worth.
Really like what I am hearing so far. At this point, I would say the bass is a little more pronounced than the rest of the frequency range, but I still think the mids/upper mids are a little more "there" than in my WS55. Right out of the box, these are fantastic trance cans. This track sounds epic on them!

I started my Fuze+ (which I never use because the controls utterly suck) running the  AState-of-Trance-500 studio album through the S500's....that should loosen up the drivers, I think. Of course, just getting the stupid thing to initialize the database, and get it to repeat all and shuffle, was enough to almost make me want to throw the Fuze+ against a wall....lol.

Before that, with a couple other players, I did some shuffling through some of my favorites, and at this point, yeah, the bass is a bit stronger than the rest, but not overpoweringly so. To be honest, even if they didn't change at all, just a slight bit of EQ could make them "just right" for my ears, so i have high hopes and already am glad I made the purchase.

So this makes a 3rd headphone recommendation from Dsnuts that has worked out for the best, I think.
beerchug.gif

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #712 of 8,352
Actually I don't find them bass heavy at all anymore. After burn-in they seem to have settled down a lot and to my ears they are pretty balanced. The bass definitely has punch, but I don't find it overpowering at all now.

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #713 of 8,352
Quote:

I really have to stress this as well and I'm neither here nor there on burn-in most of the time.  Some things I swear make little difference, this is one that really does.

As things stand now these seem to be far more neutral than out of the box... still a bit boosted in the bass, but in a very coherent/musical way and the mids/treble seem mostly flat to my ears, no peaks/valleys.  They straddle the line nicely between what I'd call musical/fun and accurate with no glaring faults.

I am using the velour pads that I purchased from ebay.  They tame the bass, and let the mids/trebble open up.....they place the drivers further away from my ear.  I sense a bigger soundstage as well.  If I push them closer to my ears, the bass increases to where it was with my leather and stock pads.  I actually had to EQ the bass back up at 31hz and 60hz a few db.  I someone would like less bass and more of the mids and treble they would be worth a try.  I still have a lot of burn in planned, so I'm not done with changes yet!  Rolling different ear pads, kinda like changing silicone tips on IEM's.

I also had to set my crossfeed settings lower, but the soundstage IMO had definately increased, more like the FXD80 now!  Need to listen more and evaluate my impression!

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #714 of 8,352
Quote:
If you want heavy bass, there's no denying the S500's excel but, IMO, overpower the other frequencies. I do think it's a good pair, especially for the price.

Seriously, they tame/tighten up considerably with heavy burn-in.  I wouldn't really call them bass heavy at this point, but mildly boosted.  But earlier on the bass definitely dominated.

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #715 of 8,352
Well, all of this info about the burn-in is good to hear.  I just have mine in a cabinet in my desk shuffling iPod songs non-stop.  My velours should arrive today as well, so I may throw those on there to see if they change the sound.

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #716 of 8,352
Quote:

I am using the velour pads that I purchased from ebay.  They tame the bass, and let the mids/trebble open up.....they place the drivers further away from my ear.  I sense a bigger soundstage as well.  If I push them closer to my ears, the bass increases to where it was with my leather and stock pads.  I actually had to EQ the bass back up at 31hz and 60hz a few db.  I someone would like less bass and more of the mids and treble they would be worth a try.  I still have a lot of burn in planned, so I'm not done with changes yet!  Rolling different ear pads, kinda like changing silicone tips on IEM's.

I also had to set my crossfeed settings lower, but the soundstage IMO had definately increased, more like the FXD80 now!  Need to listen more and evaluate my impression!

I just purchased the last two pair from the previous auction that I listed.......here is a link to a new auction if anyone is still interested.....these are different than the HD25 velours that dsnuts is using....these can be installed in 15 seconds, nice fit, changes in sound listed above....if you want better mids/more treble energy, and less bass they are worth a try....half the price of the HD25 velours!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-FIT-ATH-Audio-Technica-ESW9-ES7-FC7-Headphones-/261086139773?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3cc9f2557d

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #717 of 8,352
I ordered a pair to see if there is any difference in sound from what I have..

The treble on the HD25 pads= awesome but it makes sense to have a wider holed.. IF one wants a more bassy one the HD25. . Lesser Bass these Ath velours less. Tuning with pads..I like where this thread is headed so far..I like to think you guys all have a great positive energy from these so far..These headphones have made me some friends online..

I can't stop listening to my music on these. It is so nice... 200hours
atsmile.gif

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #718 of 8,352
Quote:

That sounds like step in the right direction - I bought the same velour pads as you and to hear they tame overly agressive low end is music to my ears.
Can't wait to get my pair, both headphones and pads, though!

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #719 of 8,352
OMG - just received an email from my friend who helped me with the Amazon purchase for $23 and my credit card was officially in knock out for another 12 or so hours at the time - I would have missed the deal without his help.

THEY ARE HERE

I was building Jan Meier's portable kit amp and whenever soldering SMDs I switch the phone off - did not get the call.Guess I will have to wait till tomorrow...

I will try to put some burn in time on ultrafreshly built amp - now it is exactly 1 hour 20 minutes from when it was  turned on for the very first time.  Frank Zappa's Does Humor Belong In Music off CD was a treat - this little baby ain't kidding. Very tight tolerances and high quality parts I used no doubt have a positive effect, but this amp is no slouch in any case.

Enjoy your music !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back