The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #556 of 8,352
Quote:
Well, ericp10 hit the bullseye on these!  Got both pairs today, they shipped on the 14th....$23 X 2 from Amazon!  Listened to 50 of my test tracks and its enough to blow me away.  They are a bigger, better, full size sounding FXD80, sound great even before burn in.  I am using my home gears now, check my sig.  These rival the HD650's, maybe better, from a couple of years ago, right out of the box.  I am listening to one pair, couldn't wait, while the other pair is on burn in.  I am going to do a driver transplant into the HS600 frames as soon as I get my Shure 840 ear pads to see if they are going to fit on the HS600.  The HS600 have 40mm drivers, and fit around ear.  If all goes well with that I will braid my DHC cable for the modded HS600.

Open box sound is fantastic, but I am listening to wav files on my home gears, using "standard pronounced crossfeed" in jRiver Media Center 16.  The crossfeed gives an enhanced space that makes the soundstage huge on headphones, very, very nice, makes headphones sound like a stereo speaker system.

More impressions in a week or two after some serious "bass and drum" burn in!

Glad you liked the headphones cute. I thought you would. These are a winner. Now I'm hoping that JVC make like a 50mm (or bigger) full-size headphone using this new carbon nanotubes technology. I was watching "Game of Thrones" (seasons 1 and 2) on these most of the week and was blown away by the sound. Thank you to headphone companies that have finally decided to give us devoted audio hobbyists more bang for our bucks. This is how you keep a devoted and loyal customer base. Happy listening! 
beerchug.gif

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #557 of 8,352
Don't know if the bass is changing or I'm getting more used to it, but I'm really liking these! I'm not terribly impressed with the headband, and I'm looking forward to velours to improve the pad comfort, but soundwise these are terrific.

My second pair should come today or tomorrow. Not even sure why I ordered the second pair (other than the Amazon deal), so I'm glad I like them as much as I do!

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #559 of 8,352
Quote:

Glad you liked the headphones cute. I thought you would. These are a winner. Now I'm hoping that JVC make like a 50mm (or bigger) full-size headphone using this new carbon nanotubes technology. I was watching "Game of Thrones" (seasons 1 and 2) on these most of the week and was blown away by the sound. Thank you to headphone companies that have finally decided to give us devoted audio hobbyists more bang for our bucks. This is how you keep a devoted and loyal customer base. Happy listening! 
beerchug.gif

Carbon Nanotube technology is the future of headphones.....kudos to JVC for being the first!

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #560 of 8,352

Quote:

beerchug.gif

Carbon Nanotube technology is the future of headphones.....kudos to JVC for being the first!

Indeed, especially for the price, I wonder if every company will try even harder to compete for the top rank. Just like any other company i.e. amd vs nvidia. I just hope the new over ear headphone will be similarly priced, maybe up to 100 bucks is what I would pay for it. 

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #562 of 8,352
Quote:

Indeed, especially for the price, I wonder if every company will try even harder to compete for the top rank. Just like any other company i.e. amd vs nvidia. I just hope the new over ear headphone will be similarly priced, maybe up to 100 bucks is what I would pay for it. 

There's an over-ear Nanotube headphone out or are you just implying about the future?

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #565 of 8,352
Quote:

BTW I know ericp said he was able to fit these over-ear but I'm confused at how this is possible.  The opening is 1 1/4".  Maybe Verne Troyer... but even then maybe not.  I have average sized ears for someone my size (I'm a pretty small guy, 55-56 cm, 6 3/4 hat size) and the pads do *cover* my ears, just barely, but there's no way in hell they're even come close to fitting inside.

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #566 of 8,352
Quote:

BTW I know ericp said he was able to fit these over-ear but I'm confused at how this is possible.  The opening is 1 1/4".  Maybe Verne Troyer... but even then maybe not.  I have average sized ears for someone my size (I'm a pretty small guy, 55-56 cm, 6 3/4 hat size) and the pads do *cover* my ears, just barely, but there's no way in hell they're even come close to fitting inside.

I have average size ears and the only other pair of close to on ear headphones I own are the Focal Spirit One.  My ears barely fit inside the Focal's.  You can see the size difference in the picture but the JVC's are definitely on ear.

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #567 of 8,352
Quote:
Well, ericp10 hit the bullseye on these!  Got both pairs today, they shipped on the 14th....$23 X 2 from Amazon!  Listened to 50 of my test tracks and its enough to blow me away.  They are a bigger, better, full size sounding FXD80, sound great even before burn in.  I am using my home gears now, check my sig.  These rival the HD650's, maybe better, from a couple of years ago, right out of the box.  I am listening to one pair, couldn't wait, while the other pair is on burn in.  I am going to do a driver transplant into the HS600 frames as soon as I get my Shure 840 ear pads to see if they are going to fit on the HS600.  The HS600 have 40mm drivers, and fit around ear.  If all goes well with that I will braid my DHC cable for the modded HS600.

Open box sound is fantastic, but I am listening to wav files on my home gears, using "standard pronounced crossfeed" in jRiver Media Center 16.  The crossfeed gives an enhanced space that makes the soundstage huge on headphones, very, very nice, makes headphones sound like a stereo speaker system.

More impressions in a week or two after some serious "bass and drum" burn in!

Thank you for your impressions. As I am bit of old school, jRiver Media Center 16 sounds next to Martian to me. I do use crosfeed from head-fi member XNOR in foobar2000 and will have Jan Meier's Portable kit amplifier with crosfeed ready in couple of days. Are you perhaps familiar with any of the mentioned crossfeed options? Were it not for the crossfeed of some description, I would not have bothered with any cans that are not AKG K 1000, due to their completely unrealistic recreation of soundstage - regardless how good they can be in any other department. What I particularly like in f2K crossfeed besides sounding like a stereo speaker system is much improved intelegibility in lower registers. Normally, listening with headphones without crossfeed and comparing the same track being played on loudspeakers invariably sounds thin to me on the cans - no reasonable amount of EQ could cure this. With crossfeed - bliss. Does this description ring any bell regarding your  jRiver Media Center 16 ?

I asked Dsnuts back in the thread how JVC HA-S500 sound on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZzFruQCofM

I assume he listened "straight" without crossfeed, saying the soundstage was not that great. Please answer how does it sound using crossfeed , particularly regarding soundstage ?

Looking forward to your mods with bigger earpads etc too !

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #568 of 8,352
Wayyy off topic but is anyone here interested in getting the v moda 100's? Just a heads up it's available for pre-order with some special discount on shields. So go go go, and maybe we might get a A/B with the S500s soon ha. That thread is hilarious, so much internal fighting over PPUs.  Puts this civilized and laid back thread to shame, we need some drama yo.  LoL

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #569 of 8,352
I am thinking about them but I will wait for some reviews to flow in. I am sure they will be great sounding headphones. They better be with all the press it is getting here at headfi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back