The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 16, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #541 of 8,352
Quote:
Something different now shows up....

Whatever the hell that means.....lol.

It means that you will have to sit tight, it might come tomorrow, :p. Well, being serious I think you'll get it either tomorrow or ...well :S anyways I bet it'll be in your hands tomorrow.

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #542 of 8,352
Quote:
Danny you get your velours yet?

Just got them in today.  Took me about 5 minutes to get them on.  Practice from some of my other headphones helped out a lot.  I cannot hear any difference in sound, if there is, it's minimal.  Comfort wise, it's grand.  I can say that these are first on ears that I won't mind wearing on a regular basis because of the spectacular sound and fantastic comfort.  I'm gonna go mow the lawn with them on right now and test them out.  

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #543 of 8,352
Must say, I have on Beck's Sea Change, which is an impeccably produced album with some lush arrangements.  Been really loving it with these.  

Putting aside picking over this or that, with the Dragonfly driving these it definitely produces a lovely analog-type sound.  Kinda forgot I was wearing headphones there for awhile.  

It these ever come stateside and can be had for $50 shipped this will probably become my default choice for getting friends/family into head-fi.  Probably the best thing about these guys is they have no glaring faults, most things are minor.  The biggest might be due to their small size the presentation is rather intimate.  They're neutral *enough*.  

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #544 of 8,352
Sock mod was a no go. The pleather pads are so damn slippery I couldn't get the rolled sock to stay in place when the were rolled thick enough to support the clamp pressure. Fabrication time. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #545 of 8,352
Quote:
Sock mod was a no go. The pleather pads are so damn slippery I couldn't get the rolled sock to stay in place when the were rolled thick enough to support the clamp pressure. Fabrication time. 

haha I forgot to mention that since the ear pads are so small on portables that a thick pair of socks might not work. I got some thin black ladies panty hose/ socks from the $1 store to use on my monoprice MHP-839s and it worked flawlessly. You have to use something thin to insert the tight end of the sock into the gap between where ear pads and the headphone meet so it stays in place. (So basically you are just slipping/ inserting the socks over and covering the pleather pads.... just like how you would do it for the original pads) 

LoL

Have fun. And feel free to experiment, don't be shy ha.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #546 of 8,352
I figured out a way that works for me. I took some pictures but I keep getting ( error loading images).

Edit: Had to re-install a certain flash player.

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #547 of 8,352
Much better. Now to make it look decent. I definitely need some different socks.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #551 of 8,352
hmmmm i see what you did there Norml, did you just roll the socks to prop up the cup area, or did you stuff it with cotton, etc to make it more soft? Interesting might have to try that out, since thats gonna be like sock velours on top of the pleather pads...... pad on top of pad. LoL

NOW for the million dollar question, are they comfortable/ sound different with your sock mod???

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #552 of 8,352
Quote:
Much better. Now to make it look decent. I definitely need some different socks.

Did you cover the entire speaker unit with the sock as well, or are the earpads just that thick... or are you pad stacking?
Those that wish for clearer/more forward mids can look into finding ways to bring your ears closer to the drivers.

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #554 of 8,352
Quote:
hmmmm i see what you did there Norml, did you just roll the socks to prop up the cup area, or did you stuff it with cotton, etc to make it more soft? Interesting might have to try that out, since thats gonna be like sock velours on top of the pleather pads...... pad on top of pad. LoL

NOW for the million dollar question, are they comfortable/ sound different with your sock mod???

You are correct. I cut the foot off the sock, rolled it down, then used the flap (the uncut end) to pull over the pleather pad and most of the housing. The opening of the sock is big enough to fit my ear. The sound hasn't changed because the pleather pads are still in the same place on my ear but the top of my ear isn't being smashed into my head anymore. It's not the most stable mod but I have an idea to take care of that. Something to keep me busy while these are burning in.

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #555 of 8,352
Well, ericp10 hit the bullseye on these!  Got both pairs today, they shipped on the 14th....$23 X 2 from Amazon!  Listened to 50 of my test tracks and its enough to blow me away.  They are a bigger, better, full size sounding FXD80, sound great even before burn in.  I am using my home gears now, check my sig.  These rival the HD650's, maybe better, from a couple of years ago, right out of the box.  I am listening to one pair, couldn't wait, while the other pair is on burn in.  I am going to do a driver transplant into the HS600 frames as soon as I get my Shure 840 ear pads to see if they are going to fit on the HS600.  The HS600 have 40mm drivers, and fit around ear.  If all goes well with that I will braid my DHC cable for the modded HS600.

Open box sound is fantastic, but I am listening to wav files on my home gears, using "standard pronounced crossfeed" in jRiver Media Center 16.  The crossfeed gives an enhanced space that makes the soundstage huge on headphones, very, very nice, makes headphones sound like a stereo speaker system.

More impressions in a week or two after some serious "bass and drum" burn in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back