The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Feb 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #4,726 of 8,352
I too wondered about angling the drivers a little bit. The first time I took them out to put a little duct tape inside the cups I didn't get the cable all the way out of the way when I started putting the screws back in. I quickly discovered what was holding me up but the idea popped into my head to maybe try doing it on purpose to angle the driver a tiny bit and see how it sounded. Anyone tried this?

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #4,727 of 8,352
I haven't heard anything of it yet, so you should be first... :wink:

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #4,728 of 8,352
I've got a little over 72 hours of burn on mine. The sound is superb right now. The harshness of the highs is pretty much gone. The bass is just out of this world.

I love how amazing the bass is. It's only there when it's called for, unlike other consumer headphones that have bass all the time and mess up songs that don't need overpowering bass.

Just used them all day today, give or take 8 hours at work, then another hour at school while waiting for class. Very comfortable for me, with only a slight discomfort on the cartilage of my left ear after about 6 hours, but not overly painful.

My only problem is that isolation is rather poor compared to other closed headphones. I'm almost certain people in my office can hear my music at only about 40-45% volume on my iPhone, where I normally listen between 55-60%.

It's also kinda hard to get a good seal. Maybe it's just me, though. My ears seem to be at an awkward enough size to make these almost circumaural, where the pads only sit on the very top of my ear and on my earlobe, while the rest of my ears are nice and cozy inside.

Despite those issues, this is quite handily one of my very best purchases of anything this decade in terms of value for the money.

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #4,729 of 8,352
Well, I'm set up and cans are burning in now. I listened at these high volumes for maybe 5min or so added up, to make sure I didn't hear any major distortion (which is a sign of stressing the drivers to the point of failure), and 
size]
 headache! haha. I shouldn't listen that loud, don't want to damage my hearing, but it was fun 
size]

Hopefully I'm not deaf in the morning :wink:
I have a folded sheet over them (about as thick as my hand) to help block the sound but I still hear it. Oh well..
Now I just hope my computer doesn't fall asleep. I have my list of beats/electronic on continuous play. Night!

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #4,730 of 8,352
I found it useful to stick a balked up pair of socks between the cups, fold them inward to make them compact and then used an elastic around the size adjuster area to keep them closed tightly. That kept sound from leaking quite nicely, but I also stuffed them in a big container with pillows and blankets to completely block sound. Then again, these were burning in in my bedroom and I wanted to sleep :).

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #4,731 of 8,352
Quote:
I found it useful to stick a balked up pair of socks between the cups, fold them inward to make them compact and then used an elastic around the size adjuster area to keep them closed tightly. That kept sound from leaking quite nicely, but I also stuffed them in a big container with pillows and blankets to completely block sound. Then again, these were burning in in my bedroom and I wanted to sleep
smily_headphones1.gif

I was OK, I had them inside the folded sheet and put my sweatshirt on there too. Sometimes I could hear them before falling asleep but I slept through it.

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #4,732 of 8,352
So any dudes here try the Internal resonance damping mods like me over at the s400 thread?
Whatsa matter, chicken?
Lol just kidding & mentioning in case any easily bored members here wanna try something new lol..

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #4,734 of 8,352
So any dudes here try the Internal resonance damping mods like me over at the s400 thread?
Whatsa matter, chicken?
Lol just kidding & mentioning in case any easily bored members here wanna try something new lol..
I've done it... made the vocals a tinsy bit less shouty, and tightened the bass and treble by a hair... :)

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #4,735 of 8,352
Wow. Stick all the padding and tape you want on these babies...OR....order the ridiculously cheap ELE DAC. Just got mine today (after a 3 1/2 week wait from Hong Kong...but hey, free shipping-lol). I am seriously blown away. I've burned it in about 8 hours and it just keeps getting better. Resolution, sound stage, deep black background. If you don't try this you don't know what you're missing! 16 friggin' bucks for this little cheap looking piece of heaven.

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #4,736 of 8,352
Unfortunately exactly what i worried happened: the bass is significantly reduced with HM5 pads over stock :/ the bass is what makes these cans fun for me. I'll try the tape mod now

Edit: Tape mod helps, but i wouldn't mind even more bass :) somebody got the ultimate basshead mod for me?

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #4,737 of 8,352
Someone just did that, and made hm5 bassier than stock! :basshead:

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #4,738 of 8,352
Quote:
<snip> OR....order the ridiculously cheap ELE DAC. Just got mine today (after a 3 1/2 week wait from Hong Kong...but hey, free shipping-lol). I am seriously blown away. I've burned it in about 8 hours and it just keeps getting better. Resolution, sound stage, deep black background. If you don't try this you don't know what you're missing! 16 friggin' bucks for this little cheap looking piece of heaven.

I'm going to take this comment with a grain of salt and wait till the honeymoon phase is over with ya..
cool.gif
Fell too often for comments like these, and members posting a more nuanced post after a few days/weeks after their first post. :p  Saves me money you know.
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #4,739 of 8,352
Wow. Stick all the padding and tape you want on these babies...OR....order the ridiculously cheap ELE DAC. Just got mine today (after a 3 1/2 week wait from Hong Kong...but hey, free shipping-lol). I am seriously blown away. I've burned it in about 8 hours and it just keeps getting better. Resolution, sound stage, deep black background. If you don't try this you don't know what you're missing! 16 friggin' bucks for this little cheap looking piece of heaven.
wow it looks similar to the muse dac,
Less featurws but more streamlined.
Anyone have comparison comments on these.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #4,740 of 8,352
I've done it... made the vocals a tinsy bit less shouty, and tightened the bass and treble by a hair... :)

Looks like the s500 has better conditions then & I suppose it may be the housing was initially designed for those bigger drivers in the s500 and the s400 driver is not totally optimal for the headphones.
Pretty impressive nonetheless.

Does anyone know if the s500 will ever hit the states?
The only good thing is that the Japanese yen keeps falling so price should fall on all Japanese headphones. .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back