The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Jan 31, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #4,696 of 8,352
I really enjoy my R1s, but I wouldn't say that they sound a heck of a lot like the S500s. Which is good, for me, since the S500s are too aggressive for my ears. In fact, lately I have been enjoying them far more than the S500s. People say that mids are recessed but I wouldn't say they're any more recessed than the S500. It does have a lot of bass, which again some have complained about, but I enjoy them immensely.

That said, I have absolutely no experience with the others you mentioned so can't give a particularly informed or unbiased opinion 
redface.gif

I do know a few people have complained about driver flex, but I guess I was lucky enough not to receive a unit with that problem. Brainwavz QC does sound like it can be a little spotty, but they are apparently really good with sending replacements.

My only complaint with the R1s is that the wire is a real pain, but of course they now offer an updated model with memory wire in it. Some also complain that the shape isn't exactly ergonomic, but I never found it an issue.

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #4,700 of 8,352
Quote:
Given the mhc1's infamously bad cable, I doubt they'll be a very good IEM for working out and running. They are touted for their excellent sound, though.

+1

No way MH1c are good for exercise lol

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #4,701 of 8,352
Quote:
Given the mhc1's infamously bad cable, I doubt they'll be a very good IEM for working out and running. They are touted for their excellent sound, though.

Aye. It's the only reason I left it off my list.

The GR02 BE's also get a ton of praise sound-wise, but I'm not a fan of that form factor. Reminds me of the AKG IEM's I had, and those were not comfortable at all and kept falling out.

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #4,702 of 8,352
Quote:
So now that I'm set with my portable on-ear for studying, I need a good IEM for running and working out. Which IEM, out of these four, would have a similar sound signature to the S500's? Something that has similar bass, good mids, and maybe a little easier on the highs of an out-of-box S500.

MEElec M6
Shure SE215
Soundmagic E10
Brainwavz R1

I'm leaving out the FX40 since I hear it has even crazier highs than the S500. Comfort is also a big plus. I'm a huge fan of the SE215's form factor, though I don't mind the bullet-like E10.

i have to sat the jvc ha fx3x. I just git the fx3x and and the fxd70, which dsnuts sais is closer to s500

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #4,703 of 8,352
To me the closest sounding IEM to the S500s are the FX40s. The sharpness and harshness definitely smooth out with burn in.

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #4,710 of 8,352
Quote:
What about Manowar?! Iron Maiden is also one of my favorite bands lol. I love Kiss as well, but I thought they were more 70s.

Hail Gods of war!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back