The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Jan 3, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #2,506 of 3,535
  Wearing the cable over ear definitely changes the sound quite substantially. IMO, there is less bass impact and narrower vertical soundstage, but wider horizontally.  

I haven't noticed a change in sound, but I have noticed how much better they sound without the cable microphonics being audible. They also don't fall out as easily. I need to replace the stock cable though, the V-split is a little too close when wearing over-ear. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #2,507 of 3,535
  Anyone have any tips for getting a good seal with the spiral dot tips? I have odd sizes earwholes. What I mean by this is medium sized tips are always just barely big enough, so it is a lot of work getting a perfect seal. Large tips are always WAY too big for me. I'm not used to tips like this that require shallow insertion and it takes me a while to get a good seal every time. I'm not even entirely sure I am getting a good seal.

You're using them with shallow insertion, not deep insertion right? That's when they're just barely in your ear, just enough to form a seal. The medium are a little big for me, but fit shallow insertion just fine. The large also fit shallow but fall out after a little while, maybe you should try that if you haven't already?

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #2,508 of 3,535
  Wearing the cable over ear definitely changes the sound quite substantially. IMO, there is less bass impact and narrower vertical soundstage, but wider horizontally.  

that is exactly what I hear, when using the fx850 over ear with my sony H3 cable! much more enjoyable due to less bass and wider soundstage with better instrument separation.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #2,509 of 3,535

that is exactly what I hear, when using the fx850 over ear with my sony H3 cable! much more enjoyable due to less bass and wider soundstage with better instrument separation.

That sounds like a great cable, is it a lot longer than the stock FX850 one? 

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #2,510 of 3,535
  Try wearing the cable over the ear, but without swapping left and right earpieces. Results in a completely different angle between nozzle and ear canal (and housings protrude a lot less btw).

For some people, this works better than cable-down or over-ears with swapped earpieces.

I haven't noticed a change in sound, but I have noticed how much better they sound without the cable microphonics being audible.

I too notice a change in soundstage.

Obviously user feedback on this won't be consistent though, since impressions may change depending on how the nozzle exits are angled against one's ear canal.

They also don't fall out as easily. I need to replace the stock cable though, the V-split is a little too close when wearing over-ear. 

Are you sure about that? Upper cable length is 37cm (14.5") on my pair, if I move the chin slider all the way down to the Y-split.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #2,511 of 3,535
  That sounds like a great cable, is it a lot longer than the stock FX850 one? 

I'm not sure if it is the sony H3-cable, that contributes to the sound quality improvement. I think it is the cable, but it may be just the fit, as I have a great and secure fit over ear with the sony H3 cable and the fx850. the cable is around 125cm long.

james tried the same combo and didn't notice a great difference, so it may be primarily the better fit with the cable, than the cable itself.
the sound of the fx850 is highly dependable on fit, tips and mods and every little change can change its sound dramatically. 

however, it is always good to try for yourself as everybody will hear things differently. I agree with james at what he writes here:

Obviously user feedback on this won't be consistent though, since impressions may change depending on how the nozzle exits are angled against one's ear canal.

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #2,512 of 3,535
When I lay flat on my back with the 850+Spinfit tips, the weight of them bends them down slightly, which gives me a crazy even-wider soundstage.  It`s quite awesome . .  

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #2,514 of 3,535
Hey guys, does anyone use comply tip T500 for the Fx850 before? I feel that the bass of the Fx850 become much lesser and the vocal don't sound as sparkly/sharp (not sure how to describe it,but it does't hurt my ear at all) as compared to the stock Spiral dot tips. Can anyone clarify it? 

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #2,516 of 3,535
  Hi there,

i can get the x850 for £175 or the fx1100 for £350,- then add another 20% import tax.

is the price difference really worth it?!

I would appreciate any help

you can also get a used , like new RE-600 from here (i saw one FS here 1 month old) for 120 pounds, if you like its balanced sound.

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #2,517 of 3,535
  The 850 to me is both warm and cold. The bass is pretty large and it isn't unrefined, it just has a little bit too much upper bass which comes off as bloaty and as warmth. The treble to me isn't bright/edgy/sharp, there's just a small peak in the lower treble and it rolls a little too much (like a lot of JVCs tend to do). The FX850 isn't very well balanced, it's a little skewed in places that slightly hurt its overall sound. Namely upper bass and upper midrange (emphasis), but with EQ or mods to tame the bass quantity it's a very pleasant and refined IEM. Though closing the rear port entirely makes them sound unnatural with a smaller soundstage. They aren't perfect, they're like a slightly obnoxious friend with a lot of charming qualities. The upper bass appears to add a veil to the sound, but make no mistake -- the FX850 is has lots of resolution which is very obvious when you fix the bass.

Well I certainly second that with emphasis on "lots of" and "when you fix the bass"! Very well written by the way!

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #2,518 of 3,535
  Well I certainly second that with emphasis on "lots of" and "when you fix the bass"! Very well written by the way!

Thank you, my comments on certain aspects of the frequency response is based on the graphs from Goldenears by the way http://en.goldenears.net/53678. Not only the graphs, but also tweaking my 250 band equalizer in winamp to see where problem areas are. Just so people know I'm not just making stuff up that simply sounds good 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #2,519 of 3,535
Hi all i listen to slot of hardrock and metal. Do these iems fit me? Thanks alot!!!
Example of bands i listen to:guns n roses, ac dc, nirvana, metallica
Cheers

I listen to many of those groups too...I feel you would enjoy them greatly

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #2,520 of 3,535
Hi there,

i can get the x850 for £175 or the fx1100 for £350,- then add another 20% import tax.

is the price difference really worth it?!

I would appreciate any help

Definitely not - the 850 is better in every way IMO.
I suspect that the 1100 is simply a kind of price point product,
to drive more people to buy the 850 750 etcetera

Users who are viewing this thread

Back