The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Jan 7, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #2,536 of 3,535
Possibly the Japanese holiday period which I think is over on the 8th. Rinkya is not shipping until then due to holidays, but everything else works could be automation or a skeleton crew.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #2,537 of 3,535
  thanks for the tip on Tenso. but i just went onto their website (from uk internet). it says they are not taking orders, but should try their sister company buyee. any idea what happened?

Weird, I just finalized an order on Tenso, and I don't see anything on their site saying not taking orders? If you Click Holiday schedule it says they will resume taking orders on the 4th Jan, aka already resumed. Maybe I'm missing something.

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #2,542 of 3,535
I bought it at 25k
smily_headphones1.gif

The FX850 is technically stupidly good and is improving a huge amount with burn in as well. The difference between it and other totl universal IEMs remind me of the feeling I got when I first tried totl hps compared to midfi hps like HD650 and HE400. I can definitely see why some people on various sites said that they believe the FX850 is the most technically gifted dynamic IEM.

I'm not sure on that one. I think the Flat 4 Sui has better technical ability and is more neutral sounding of the two. I like both but if I had to have one I'd keep the Sui.

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #2,543 of 3,535
I bought it at 25k
smily_headphones1.gif

The FX850 is technically stupidly good and is improving a huge amount with burn in as well. The difference between it and other totl universal IEMs remind me of the feeling I got when I first tried totl hps compared to midfi hps like HD650 and HE400. I can definitely see why some people on various sites said that they believe the FX850 is the most technically gifted dynamic IEM.

I'm not sure on that one. I think the Flat 4 Sui has better technical ability and is more neutral sounding of the two. I like both but if I had to have one I'd keep the Sui.

Fair call I am open to different opinions especially since I have not heard the mentioned IEM :) On what fronts do you consider FX850 outbested by the Flat 4 sui? When set FX850 to neutral sound, I personally find little to complain of. I could live with better extension on both ends, full sized headphone like soundstage and imaging precisiob (still does extremely well as an IEM already IMO), planar-like subbass; aka things which I consider too much to ask from an IEM. Even if better than FX850, how great is the difference in SQ? I haven't heard TOTL CIEM world but I really struggle to see how much it can improve although I would be happy to be wrong because I appreciate IEMs for portability.

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #2,544 of 3,535
You know you can use any Japanese online store with Tenso, doesn't have to be Amazon, although Amazon is the easiest to use. But there are several places selling the FX850 for 24.7K. Although Yodobashi is the easiest to use besides Amazon, and they have the FX850 for 26.6K

Anyway, my massive order is en route from Tenso atm. Got the FX1100, CKR9LTD, CKR10, and FX750, FX650, weird that I didn't get the FX850 though right? Figured I will mod the FX1100 and be done with it, I might get the FX850 later just for the hell of it though.

Got my popcorns out already!

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #2,545 of 3,535
  You know you can use any Japanese online store with Tenso, doesn't have to be Amazon, although Amazon is the easiest to use. But there are several places selling the FX850 for 24.7K. Although Yodobashi is the easiest to use besides Amazon, and they have the FX850 for 26.6K

Anyway, my massive order is en route from Tenso atm. Got the FX1100, CKR9LTD, CKR10, and FX750, FX650, weird that I didn't get the FX850 though right? Figured I will mod the FX1100 and be done with it, I might get the FX850 later just for the hell of it though.

Wow... that is really massive, you will be confused where to begin with. I got FX850 and had IE800, after two weeks even now not able to understand what I like more from 850 when compared to 800.

IE800 is ultra fast when compared to FX850, the way it recovers after an hard hitting bass, for next one, is amazing. Imaging also better IE800, it is also more laid back compared to FX850.
FX850 gives good fight to IE800, it has bigger sound stage and bass hit even more harder but when it has to deliver on fast notes, it does not perform as well as IE800. 

However I made only front mod suggested by James, back mod is still pending. Without mod, FX850 is boomy and imaging is pathetic, it is like every musicians is sitting two feet away from me, with no sense of layering IMO.

Thanks to James, his suggest mod make FX850 much better.

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #2,546 of 3,535

Hmm, different strokes... I preferred the FX700 over the SUI by a slight margin, and JVCs new 11m driver is even better imo.

Maybe it was that funky after-resonance that Rin pointed out, but I wasn't that impressed by the SUI's bass.

Wow... that is really massive, you will be confused where to begin with. I got FX850 and had IE800, after two weeks even now not able to understand what I like more from 850 when compared to 800.

IE800 is ultra fast when compared to FX850, the way it recovers after an hard hitting bass, for next one, is amazing. Imaging also better IE800, it is also more laid back compared to FX850.
FX850 gives good fight to IE800, it has bigger sound stage and bass hit even more harder but when it has to deliver on fast notes, it does not perform as well as IE800. 

However I made only front mod suggested by James, back mod is still pending. Without mod, FX850 is boomy and imaging is pathetic, it is like every musicians is sitting two feet away from me, with no sense of layering IMO.

Thanks to James, his suggest mod make FX850 much better.

You're welcome!

My modded FX850 and FX1100 are currently loaned to @costas23 and @zachgraz, so expect further impressions and comparisons soon!

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #2,547 of 3,535
That is odd. I guess wait for Tenso to reply back is all I can think of. Hope it works out.
looks like tenso finally found my fx750 a few days ago... i then had them shipped right away.
hope it doesnt take too long

Quote:

the tip mod was enough to make those improvements? 
i would like to hear what you find after the back mod too

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #2,548 of 3,535
^ I'm not surprised. The tip mod acts a bit like a relief valve for excessive bass pressure. Plus, it helps to equalize outer and inner air pressure, which many listeners perceive as an enhancement in soundstage and imaging.

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #2,549 of 3,535

That is odd. I guess wait for Tenso to reply back is all I can think of. Hope it works out.
looks like tenso finally found my fx750 a few days ago... i then had them shipped right away.
hope it doesnt take too long

Quote:

the tip mod was enough to make those improvements? 
i would like to hear what you find after the back mod too

yes I find front mod does a big differences, I feel without this mod FX850 just throws all part of music to your ears IMO, bass is quite boomy and finer notes of music is also brought front. With mod, FX850 bass is tamed and imaging is better, there is more space between each instrument. But is not a day and night difference IMO, it does tune FX850 for better.

need more time for back mod, I like to spend more time with front mod before I attempt back mod, normally I take lot of time to understand sound difference and appreciate it, otherwise does not make sense troubling wallet for this hobby.

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #2,550 of 3,535
^ I'm not surprised. The tip mod acts a bit like a relief valve for excessive bass pressure. Plus, it helps to equalize outer and inner air pressure, which many listeners perceive as an enhancement in soundstage and imaging.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back