The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Jan 8, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #2,552 of 3,535
Say... Why does it seem like everyone on this forum seem so against EQing? I just don't understand... You are literally few clicks from turning FX850 from unimpressive to DAFUQ DIS IEM IS DA BEST... I understood why the HP folks don't EQ much because, I dunno, full sized cans never sounded quite right when EQed. However, the FX850 just sounds so natural when EQed as if it was their original sound. The frequency curve of the FX850 is extremely easy to EQ to flat response too!

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #2,553 of 3,535
Well I am not against EQ but if it could make the fx850 sounds much preferable and can tame the wild bass~why not? Mind to share your EQ settings you used for your Fx850? Might as well trying it out for myself :)

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #2,554 of 3,535
  Say... Why does it seem like everyone on this forum seem so against EQing? I just don't understand... You are literally few clicks from turning FX850 from unimpressive to DAFUQ DIS IEM IS DA BEST... I understood why the HP folks don't EQ much because, I dunno, full sized cans never sounded quite right when EQed. However, the FX850 just sounds so natural when EQed as if it was their original sound. The frequency curve of the FX850 is extremely easy to EQ to flat response too!

I think we've had this discussion before. 
wink.gif
  Can't speak for everyone, but here are my reasons:

First of all, I'm not opposed to EQ at all. However, ...

1. ... many DAPs have poor EQ implementation, so you'll need something like Rockbox, or an IOS / Android based source for really high quality EQ.
  2. ... if you're using your IEMs with several DAPs and / or a stationary source, getting the same EQ on all of them can be a pita.
  3. ... modding will change the signature consistently and once-for-all, no matter what source you use.
  4. ... modding can achieve more than EQ, e.g change transients or equalize air pressure.

On the other hand, some issues like e.g. treble spikes are much easier to correct with EQ than modding. 

Bottom line, I think the most important thing is to stay open-minded und simply try out what works best for you. 
smile_phones.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #2,555 of 3,535

I think we've had this discussion before. 
wink.gif
  Can't speak for everyone, but here are my reasons:

1. ... many DAPs have poor EQ implementation, so you'll need something like Rockbox, or an IOS / Android based source for really high quality EQ.
  2. ... if you're using your IEMs with several DAPs and / or a stationary source, getting the same EQ on all of them can be a pita.
  3. ... modding will change the signature consistently and once-for-all, no matter what source you use.
  4. ... modding can achieve more than EQ, e.g change transients or equalize air pressure.

On the other hand, some issues like e.g. treble spikes are much easier to correct with EQ than modding. 

Bottom line, I think the most important thing is to stay open-minded und simply try out what works best for you. 
smile_phones.gif

Top answer all of which I perfectly understand although only thing I will add is EQing on top of the modding provides an even better result! 
biggrin.gif

I am only slightly frustrated because I feel the community should be made more aware of this IEM because they are technically stunning (only when set neutral tho) especially at the price it is going at IMO. It really has been a while since I was this impressed by a purchase in the 200 dollar range. There's sooo much I can express about the things I am impressed about the FX850 but I will keep it to myself for now since it will turn out as an essay LOL.

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #2,557 of 3,535

My modded FX850 and FX1100 are currently loaned to @costas23 and @zachgraz, so expect further impressions and comparisons soon!

thanks james, now I have to post something right? :wink:

James and other people already pointed out the differences between fx850 vs fx1100 so I will keep it short here. My comparison is done with both fx850 and fx1100 modded

The energy of the fx850-highs is skewed towards the mids in the fx1100. The highs on the fx1100 are great, smooth and well extended. The fx850-highs are also great but can be tiring sometimes.
Mids are more forward on the fx1100 and vocals are more present with the fx1100. The fx850-vocals can sound further away and not as energetic as on the fx1100. Vocals are very smooth on the fx1100 but are a bit drier (which I like) compared to the very smooth fx850-vocals. 
Bass is a bit punchier and faster on the fx1100. This is very funny cause the stock fx1100 have more bass bloat than stock fx850.
Clarity and transparency is the same I think, though maybe a tad better on the fx1100 due to the more forward mids.  
Is the fx1100 twice as good as the price suggests -> no way! differences are really minimal as mentioned before. They practically sound very very similar.

So for me the highs and mids are the fx1100s forte compared to the fx850. James' mods take care of the bass, so the bass is not a factor for me here. 
I like the fx1100 more!

This is how james ranked the phones and I 100% agree:

Originally Posted by james444 

FX1100 (modded) > FX850 (modded) >> FX850 (stock) > FX1100 (stock)

I don't really like them stock, as they just have to much bass which is tiring. The fx1100 even more so than the fx850 (in stock form). On first listen I didn't like the stock fx1100, it has bass bloat from here (Austria) to Japan and sounds muffled.  

Modded however, they are the best phones I heard. but the differences between the two are really minimal in modded form. They are there however. I 100% agree with user musicinmymind at what he wrote about the benefits of the mods here:

yes I find front mod does a big differences, I feel without this mod FX850 just throws all part of music to your ears IMO, bass is quite boomy and finer notes of music is also brought front. With mod, FX850 bass is tamed and imaging is better, there is more space between each instrument. But is not a day and night difference IMO, it does tune FX850 for better.

Now that I know I prefer the fx1100 but have the fx850 I can't decide what to do . Shall I sell the fx850 and buy the fx1100 and lose lots of cash for those little differences? I think no, however my favorite Radiohead-song "weird fishes" never sounded better as on the modded fx1100.

If you have the fx850 and love it stay with it and don't read much or even listen (especially music with vocals!) to the fx1100. It could just make the great fx850 a little less great for you.
If you have neither and have the cash and prefer mids over highs just get the fx1100. If you prefer highs over mids and more V-shaped signature, then take the fx850 even if you have the cash.

So is it worth to upgrade from fx850 to fx1100 for me? -> Yes ... Not really.... or maybe .... no, definitely not I love my money more ... I don't know and need more time to think about it.. 

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #2,558 of 3,535
looking forward to receiving my 850s tomorrow. I had the hifiman re600s for a brief stint and while liked the sound, couldn't really bond with the earphones in general. these seem more substantial in every way

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #2,559 of 3,535
Someone here said that you can change product price on the package if you use tenso.

Can someone please confirm this.Maybe someone who has used this service before ?

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #2,560 of 3,535
  Someone here said that you can change product price on the package if you use tenso.

Can someone please confirm this.Maybe someone who has used this service before ?

I used tenso sending the jvc 850s and a packet jvc eartips. They sent me 2 different packages and charged me for the 2 packages individually. they marked the full price on the earphones, so now im paying the full import/handling. I don't recall an option where you could choose your own value. This was my first time using Tenso, maybe I missed that, or you have to personally ask them?

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #2,561 of 3,535

Yes, You can change the value of the parcel. For example, my country would tax me if my value of item is over 180USD. So there is an option for you to change to maybe lets say, 120 USD to prevent it from getting tax. But if the parcel is ever get lost, they will only compensate what YOU have written (120 USD in this case) not the 180 USD. You can also change the declaration too, like Personal effect or Sample. So use at your own risk. 
  I used tenso sending the jvc 850s and a packet jvc eartips. They sent me 2 different packages and charged me for the 2 packages individually. they marked the full price on the earphones, so now im paying the full import/handling. I don't recall an option where you could choose your own value. This was my first time using Tenso, maybe I missed that, or you have to personally ask them?

Actually you could combine both the item together before you ship it. But every item will be charge 300 Yen (Not sure am i right?). On shipping weight would be reduce by a small margin for your case. Unless you bought many stuff and combining it.

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #2,563 of 3,535
I think we've had this discussion before. :wink:   Can't speak for everyone, but here are my reasons:

• ... many DAPs have poor EQ implementation, so you'll need something like Rockbox, or an IOS / Android based source for really high quality EQ.
  • ... if you're using your IEMs with several DAPs and / or a stationary source, getting the same EQ on all of them can be a pita.
  • ... modding will change the signature consistently and once-for-all, no matter what source you use.
  • ... modding can achieve more than EQ, e.g change transients or equalize air pressure.

Bottom line, I think the most important thing is to stay open-minded und simply try out what works best for you. :smile_phones:  

Apparently, you can change impulse response via DSP, but I don't know if it can be done just via EQ or what it takes. The reading was a little over my head.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #2,564 of 3,535
Apparently, you can change impulse response via DSP, but I don't know if it can be done just via EQ or what it takes. The reading was a little over my head.

Yep, it's called a convolver. It basically performs real-time convolution of sound according to a given impulse response. Here's from the description of foobar's convolver:

This DSP component takes impulse response and does a
fast convolution of the sound data with that impulse
response.

Basically, it allows quick computation of any combination of
linear effects, such as equalization, echo, flange, reverb,
phase shift and so on. It can transform the sound to exactly
the image you would get as where the impulse response was
recorded, allowing you to get an accurate reproduction of
a big theather or stadium.

I don't know about any other mobile implementation besides V4A though. And it's not interactively adjustable during playback like EQ, you choose a target IR and that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back