The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Jan 1, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #2,477 of 3,535
never hear of Carbo Tenore  does it scale to level of JVC-850's?

Best tonality I've heard from any IEM, except for in the mid-range compared to my FitEar ToGo! 334. Dynamics (with limited dynamic range compression recordings) are definitely behind the FX850 and the build quality is poor, but I can live with that. In my opinion the Carbo Tenore is so good I've sold all of my TOTL phones (TG334, K3003i, EM6, etc.) If you want to call me the Carbo Tenore will cost you $36.70 with free shipping from Amazon (link here).

Would the Tenore make a good throw around and gym pair of earphones?

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #2,478 of 3,535
As promised to T.R.A.N.C.E, compared the entire JVC series here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/746615/legend-r-vs-k10-brief-review-and-27-others-now-incl-entire-westone-w-um-series-and-jvc-fx-series/105#post_11178667

This was a surprising series- they all sounded quite different!

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #2,479 of 3,535
Thanks for the comparo! Your impressions were exactly in line with what others have also found.

You know what no one has done though, a proper comparo of CKR9, CKR9LTD and CKR10 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #2,480 of 3,535
Well, maybe you should chip in on that one :)

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #2,481 of 3,535
  As promised to T.R.A.N.C.E, compared the entire JVC series here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/746615/legend-r-vs-k10-brief-review-and-27-others-now-incl-entire-westone-w-um-series-and-jvc-fx-series/105#post_11178667

This was a surprising series- they all sounded quite different!

Wow, you actually liked the stock 1100 better than the 850.
eek.gif

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #2,482 of 3,535

eek.gif

Yep. The mids on the FX1100 were very well done, and in general the FX850 sounded thinner and sharper. The two sounded very different, but still with the same signature. The FX750, though, was an entirely different ballgame.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #2,483 of 3,535

If your pair is well built, i'm not careful with mine and have had no problems. So potentially, yes imo. But if they aren't on the good side of the QC process, people have had problems with kid gloves. Hard to recommend in that sense, but potentially yes.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #2,484 of 3,535

Shure se215 are my throw around and gym headphones...Tenore look frail at the cable and where they connect, but I guess photos could be deceiving

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #2,485 of 3,535

eek.gif

Yep. The mids on the FX1100 were very well done, and in general the FX850 sounded thinner and sharper. The two sounded very different, but still with the same signature. The FX750, though, was an entirely different ballgame.

Well, different strokes for different folks. The FX850 are already decidedly bassy and warm. I'd honestly never have expected them to make the FX1100 even warmer.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #2,486 of 3,535

Well, different strokes for different folks. The FX850 are already decidedly bassy and warm. I'd honestly never have expected them to make the FX1100 even warmer.

I'm not a fan of overly warm signatures- the 850 and 1100 fall in that category for sure. But when comparing the two, I was looking at other factors. Given these other factors, I'd also bet that modding or EQ, to remove the warmth, will bring the 1100 to a higher level than the 850. Was that your experience?

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #2,487 of 3,535
  I'm not a fan of overly warm signatures- the 850 and 1100 fall in that category for sure. But when comparing the two, I was looking at other factors. Given these other factors, I'd also bet that modding or EQ, to remove the warmth, will bring the 1100 to a higher level than the 850. Was that your experience?

It was, and if we're primarily consider their potential, our conclusions aren't far apart.

However, if we're looking at stock signatures, I'd say the 850 is a classic v-shape, low range a bit overdone but forward highs for counterbalance. The 1100 cut the highs and boost the low range even more, which to my ears not only throws them out of balance, but makes them sound downright congested from midbass to lower mids. But then again, I'm used to rather balanced phones, that's just my preference, give or take a few db here and there.

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #2,488 of 3,535

It was, and if we're primarily consider their potential, our conclusions aren't far apart.

However, if we're looking at stock signatures, I'd say the 850 is a classic v-shape, low range a bit overdone but forward highs for counterbalance. The 1100 cut the highs and boost the low range even more, which to my ears not only throws them out of balance, but makes them sound downright congested from midbass to lower mids. But then again, I'm used to rather balanced phones, that's just my preference, give or take a few db here and there.

Yup- I heard all the same things you heard. But I thought that the highs were a bit overdone on the 850, and docked it some points for that. I also added points to the 1100 for its mids. Despite all that the 1100 does better, their points nonetheless ended up quite close, because of the super-excessive warmness of the 1100. But as I wrote- I'm guessing someone does actually like this?

Anyway, I did not put as much weight into their signatures. Let me just say this- if I were to buy either of them, I wouldn't listen to either of them stock.

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #2,489 of 3,535

never hear of Carbo Tenore  does it scale to level of JVC-850's?

Best tonality I've heard from any IEM, except for in the mid-range compared to my FitEar ToGo! 334. Dynamics (with limited dynamic range compression recordings) are definitely behind the FX850 and the build quality is poor, but I can live with that. In my opinion the Carbo Tenore is so good I've sold all of my TOTL phones (TG334, K3003i, EM6, etc.) If you want to call me the Carbo Tenore will cost you $36.70 with free shipping from Amazon (link here).

Well, it isolates pretty well (depending to some extent on ear tips of course), but I would expect it to break easily (has no cable strain reliefs). Anyway, if it doesn't work out, perhaps your finances can survive a loss of $36.70!? 
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #2,490 of 3,535

Yup- I heard all the same things you heard. But I thought that the highs were a bit overdone on the 850, and docked it some points for that. I also added points to the 1100 for its mids. Despite all that the 1100 does better, their points nonetheless ended up quite close, because of the super-excessive warmness of the 1100. But as I wrote- I'm guessing someone does actually like this?

Anyway, I did not put as much weight into their signatures. Let me just say this- if I were to buy either of them, I wouldn't listen to either of them stock.

I've only heard the FX850 but I think that was what made me sell my copy in the end. Some pages ago I was whining about the FX850 living on the very edge of distortion. I guess that was my way of expressing my troubles with the treble. I do look forward to hear the FX1100.

If anyone has a used FX1100 for sale, please PM me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back