The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Jul 1, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #1,471 of 3,535
  Listening to my preowned well burned in (260 hrs) 850s has been a revelation.  after replacing the stock cable with the Filo silver upgrade cable, the bass was
tamed and the whole SQ well balanced.  hearing things i never heard before in well listened recordings.  Psytrance just explodes in new gestalts of sound,
rock guitars have color and body, and voices sing like angels.  a true breakthrough product!  how did i live without them?  they synchronize well with DX90 and
benefit greatly from amping.  using E12 gives them power and grace. about to try RS amps with them for some more refinement and class A goodness.
Kudos to JVC for hitting one ou of the ballpark with the 850s.

beerchug.gif

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #1,472 of 3,535
  Is anyone selling a spare pair of those Spiral Dot tips, sized Medium? 
L3000.gif

Trying to avoid paying $40 for tips... 

I am in the same boat as you!  Unfortunately I need a pair of mediums also.  

I was trying to avoid buying just that tiny package from amazon jp.  Maybe we could go in halves?  Split the cost of them, you get 3 pair and I get 3 pair?

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #1,475 of 3,535
Is there any tips that help take the bass down a notch? I love the sound of the FX850, but due to the elevated upper bass quantity it can get clausterphobic sounding and mask details. I tried taping the vents but it effects the naturalism of the sound a tad, so I'm not sure I want to go that route.

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #1,476 of 3,535
I'm thinking bout pairing it (850) with some stuffs like: ICAN nano, headstage arrow 4t, jds labs c5 and objective 2, ... etc..
Anyone who tried pls give me some advices, thanks

The 850s pair well with the iCAN Nano. The 3D effect lifts the details and treble a bit and also makes the sound even more spacious.

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #1,477 of 3,535
  Is there any tips that help take the bass down a notch? I love the sound of the FX850, but due to the elevated upper bass quantity it can get clausterphobic sounding and mask details. I tried taping the vents but it effects the naturalism of the sound a tad, so I'm not sure I want to go that route.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/703874/jvc-ha-fx850-iem-woody/105#post_10347472

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #1,478 of 3,535
I use my FX850 with Magni/Modi and I was considering replacing the Magni with the O2 just for the FX850's sake. It's useable with the Magni though, super low noise floor so hiss isn't an issue but the volume pot is a tad much. Fortunately with my Magni I can get the pot just above channel imbalance without being too loud for the FX850 at 90/100 computer volume. I can only imagine the O2 would work better with the FX850 due to it's lower gain.

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #1,482 of 3,535
Hi guys,

Reading about all the goodness
L3000.gif
 about these IEM's I decided to take a plunge. I'm torn between FX750 and 850 though. Funds are secondary consideration, but the form factor is. Currently I'm using Klipsch X-10. These are really small, light and comfortable to use, but have tendency to slip out when on the move. I'm not talking jogging or such, just doing some chores around the backyard. Also the cable cable on these is very microphonic.

To remedy that (so I thought) I bought V-Moda XS over ears. Sonically I feel they are a step backward compared to Klipsch, very comfortable, but again they do not stay on my noggin when I move around. I tried to bend the headband a little, but the clamping force made them uncomfortable. Damn.

So back to IEM's - it seems like JVC FX sound signature would fit my sonic preference (Ultrasone Edition 9 is what I settled for after long journey of discovery after at least a dozen of cans I've owned - so I'm certified sub-basshead). I'm gravitating towards 750's because they are smaller and lighter than 850 and that makes me think that they would fit (and hopefully stay in) better. Lack of removable cable doesn't faze me at all.

I assume that the drivers are identical and so can anyone in here say that 750 and 850 sound the same, or is there a difference in sound because 850 has larger enclosure? Looking at the side by side pics it seems like the increase in size was dictated by fitting the connector, but is the internal chamber bigger as well, giving the 850's the sound people here rave about?

Please, help, my finger is hovering on "Add to Cart" button.

BTW the source will be iBasso DX90. 

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #1,483 of 3,535
As many have said, they sound similar but there's just that bit of extra refinement in the FX850s, also a different flavour in bass, slightly less subbass iirc. Whether it's worth the premium is up to the individual imo.

The 850s also give you the extra option of going custom cables, like the mentioned Fiio ones.

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #1,484 of 3,535
there is a shirt clip on the 850...
but no earclips :p

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #1,485 of 3,535
Can I ask what tips is everyone using? I am using the medium stock tips and I find the insertion quite shallow as well. It sounds good tho, I remember seeing someone recommend shallow insertion on these in the thread. Anyone tried other tips with deeper insertion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back