The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Jun 28, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #1,441 of 3,535
Possible a dumb question, but the FX850 is my first pair of IEMs with MMCX connectors. Any advice on how to plug and unplug them in as safe a manner as possible? From what I've read MMCX connectors are kind of delicate and applying a light amount of force doesn't seem sufficient. I'm not quite comfortable applying more.

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #1,442 of 3,535
  Possible a dumb question, but the FX850 is my first pair of IEMs with MMCX connectors. Any advice on how to plug and unplug them in as safe a manner as possible? From what I've read MMCX connectors are kind of delicate and applying a light amount of force doesn't seem sufficient. I'm not quite comfortable applying more.

You have to be somewhat forceful when taking off the connector. Use some finger muscle. Just make sure when you are taking out the cable to have a firm grip of the housing and the cable by the very edge of the connection. Also be careful you are taking out the cable directly out instead of at an angle.. You should be fine, I know it is unnerving when you do it for the first time but it will come off with a bit of force..

Think kinda like a jar of pickles that has a tight seal on it..Just a bit of lesser force than that but you get the idea.

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #1,443 of 3,535
I just got mine last week. I'm breaking them in (by listening) and I'm loving them hooked up to my Cypher Labs Theorem 720. I just ordered a balanced cable and am curious to see if this improves an already excellent-sounding IEM.

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #1,444 of 3,535
  Sorry, not following.  850 has wider than 1p2?  How about the quality of the bass?  Which has better mids presentation and clarity?  How about the treble?  Looking forward to your impressions Ivabign, we know you are the  bass guy.  
popcorn.gif

Sorry about that - I got pulled into family business - I hate when life intrudes on my music!

1p2 is wider - quality is different - bass is pretty amazing on the Tralucent - but it needs more power to get cranking whereas the 850 plays solid low end with minimal volume... my main problem is I have a lot of trouble finding a place in the house to let these IEMs burn in - and lately I haven't had time to listen to my headphones - the last few days have been busy...

The 850 is great - the 1p2 is greater - definitely an example of diminishing returns though - I paid $350 out the door for my 850's - they are a great deal... a great deal at $400 and above.

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #1,445 of 3,535
I'm owning Earsonics Sm64, Phonak 232, and honestly i've been interested in this thread bout Fx850. I wonder if Fx850's performance seems to be the same taste with SM64 (great bass, tight and warm)! and how bout treble of 850? can it be compared to treble extension of Phonak 232?

I'm using Ipod Classic gen 7 as my main dap, so is it available to drive Fx850?

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #1,446 of 3,535
Well, I'm pretty set on getting these, but my only concern is wearing them when working out/lying down. A guy who has a pair of these says he has to lie straight for them to stay in.

Jun 28, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #1,447 of 3,535
Well, I'm pretty set on getting these, but my only concern is wearing them when working out/lying down. A guy who has a pair of these says he has to lie straight for them to stay in.

You would not want to use these at the gym. They are on the heavier side and use a shallower insertion so they would likely fall out.
These woodies are large and in charge. No chance of lying on your side. I've fallen asleep once (edit: on my back) with them on accident and luckily didn't move at all.
If those are the two places you listen, then I would recommend looking into other options.

Jun 28, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #1,448 of 3,535

My better half pulled out with force the right earphone while i was listening to them. The cable has left in her hand and the earpiece stayed in my ear. Now the right connector is more loose compared to the left one and sometimes gets disconnected with minimal force, to a point where I I fear losing the right piece if Im not careful. Hopefully it's the cable that got messed up and not the earpiece.

Jun 28, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #1,449 of 3,535
You would not want to use these at the gym. They are on the heavier side and use a shallower insertion so they would likely fall out.
These woodies are large and in charge. No chance of lying on your side. I've fallen asleep once (edit: on my back) with them on accident and luckily didn't move at all.
If those are the two places you listen, then I would recommend looking into other options.

Lol, large and in charge. I like it. Mannnn, but these are the one! lol. I was suggested this though -
There is a workaround to keep the earphones from protruding straight out from the ears, simply reverse sides, IE: right phone to left ear and vice versa. Then replace the cable using proper L/R orientation. The phone bodies will then lay back agains the backside of the ear. Wearing them in this manner, I get a much better seal also.
Ron

Jun 28, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #1,450 of 3,535
Lol, large and in charge. I like it. Mannnn, but these are the one! lol. I was suggested this though -
There is a workaround to keep the earphones from protruding straight out from the ears, simply reverse sides, IE: right phone to left ear and vice versa. Then replace the cable using proper L/R orientation. The phone bodies will then lay back agains the backside of the ear. Wearing them in this manner, I get a much better seal also.
Ron

If you wear them over the ear then do what you're describing without needing to switch channels. Sure they'll lay back, but I can't imagine it would be comfortable still on your side. YMMV.
They surprise me every time I put them on. I would definitely recommend them, but never for gym use. They wouldn't really shine in that environment anyway do to poor isolation. Wearing them feels a lot like an open back full-size can.

Jun 28, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #1,451 of 3,535
If you wear them over the ear then do what you're describing without needing to switch channels. Sure they'll lay back, but I can't imagine it would be comfortable still on your side. YMMV.
They surprise me every time I put them on. I would definitely recommend them, but never for gym use. They wouldn't really shine in that environment anyway do to poor isolation. Wearing them feels a lot like an open back full-size can.

Meh, bout ready to pull the trigger, lol.

Jun 28, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #1,452 of 3,535
I manage to lay on my side with these over ear, lean my head on my arm at the edge of the pillow, hero's headphone not contacting pillow,world for most bizarre shaped iems.
Have had these for a while, have liked but not loved them. Was using decent sources...Fiio X3, alone or with ALO X3, or iPod touch, found it a bit "thick" sounding, not as open as I would like (the Sony H3 hybrid was much better in this regard). Changed source, iBasso DX90, better, not quite there for me. I recently got a UE900, comes with an airplane adapter that cuts back output, also good for high output headphone amps. Last piece of the puzzle, have a Ray Samuels HR-2 near my bed, great for full size phones, uneven for iems as you'd expect. Just plugged the woodies into my HR-2 through the attenuator,holy macaroni!! (had a very similar reaction to the Thinksound On1 before and after getting the Geek Out 1k,the On1 through the GO1K knocked me out in a way it hadn't before with lesser sources). The woodies became open, wide, slightly les lush instrumental timber, but more than rich enough. Synergy, synergy,synergy, makes such a difference.

Jun 28, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #1,454 of 3,535
  I'm owning Earsonics Sm64, Phonak 232, and honestly i've been interested in this thread bout Fx850. I wonder if Fx850's performance seems to be the same taste with SM64 (great bass, tight and warm)! and how bout treble of 850? can it be compared to treble extension of Phonak 232?

I'm using Ipod Classic gen 7 as my main dap, so is it available to drive Fx850?

I have the SM64 and the FX850's and I would say that from a treble perspective the SM64's are a bit more refined and smoother. On the other hand, overall the FX850's are my go-to IEMs for all around listening as I find them more detailed and fun to listen to. The bass is deeper and more pronounced on the FX850's.

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #1,455 of 3,535

Users who are viewing this thread

Back