The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Jun 27, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #1,426 of 3,535
Just bought mine today!

Seems that just like the FX700. It loves the Ortofon Silicon Tips.

Compared to the stock tips, it helps widens the soundstage and adds a touch of airiness to it that in conjunction adds more space and dynamics to it.

This is apparent when I compared it to the FX700 on the same pair of silicon tips.

Still burning in and these do sounds great and the overall resolution and soundstaging is a step-up from the FX700.

Of course the pictures, last but not least! Hope these sounds even better with burn-in given!

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #1,427 of 3,535
  The FX850 has the best stage out of the ones I mentioned but if you want imaging it has to go to the Primo8...I find the ATH-IM03 with upgraded cable brings the ATH-Im03 to very similar levels of imaging as the Primo-8 however.. The Primo8 has the more forward midrange but also require a wider bore tip to bring out the highs more so in the mix of the sound...  Considering even with the upgraded cable for the IM03 this combo will be $100 less than the Primo8. The better value is the IM03 but only with the upgraded cables. I will explain more here. 

The IM03 without the cable upgrade is leans toward a warmer sound signature, Imaging and overall sound is not as good without the cable. Still sounds good but with the AT-HDC5/1.2 cable from AT it brings them to a level that many guys will probably not believe. In fact I recently let a good buddy borrow my IM03 with the cable installed on them and he was so impressed he will most likely buy a pair.. Some guys might actually prefer the sound of the AT-Im03 with cable upgrade over the FX850 depending on preference. They do lean more toward a neutral signature but not overly so. It has a silky smooth sound with great imaging that guys will definitely enjoy..

Primo8 imagery is excellent but require some tip rolling for optimum sound.. The IM03 has the better treble presence and has the edge for silkiness smoothness but the Primo 8 on sheer sound layering and imagery is more reference in sound quality. I think either way for imagery you can't go wrong.

Thank you very much. How much less of a stage does the 03 have and how's the bass on it compared to the JVC? And oh! What would be the best portable amp with either the 03 or JVC? Multiple recomendations welcome.

Jun 27, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #1,428 of 3,535
I would consider the FX850 to have a large wide stage for in ears. Comparable to a lot of full sized headphones in stage actually. The IM03 stage is more medium wideish.. Music has proper spacing and depth so it don't sound off or congested in any way.. Bass I would say is around 2-3dbs less than the FX850 but still provides excellent punch and detail in the bass arena. Sub bass of the FX850 is stronger of course being a dynamic but again the Bass BA of the IM03 does a very nice job for the sub bass as well as having excellent speed and layering of the bass..This leads to a more neutral tilt in sound FR but still very musical and enjoyable because of the smooth fatigue free detailed sound of the IM03.. As for portable amps..I use my 2quickstep but really any portable amp with solid dynamics that don't add too much coloration to the source will do.

I would research your portable amps and as soon as I get my scientific experiment in the cheap made in China amps I will be getting sometime this year. I say this as deals extreme stuff gets to you as they put the stuff you buy on a boat it seems. I have no idea when and if they will ship my amps to me. Love waiting forever for cheap goods from China. I will report how they do with the FX850. So far the Topping NX1 seems to have a lot of potential for a $35-$40 amp. Lol. I would read up on them amps. 

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #1,429 of 3,535
Jun 27, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #1,430 of 3,535
The 850 has one of the widest sound stages of any can I own, save the 1p2 - it must have to do with the vent - it is also the only headphone I own that everyone in the house can hear my music playing - it doesn't feel as sealed as other headphones I own - there is a huge sense of space....

Jun 27, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #1,431 of 3,535
  The 850 has one of the widest sound stages of any can I own, save the 1p2 - it must have to do with the vent - it is also the only headphone I own that everyone in the house can hear my music playing - it doesn't feel as sealed as other headphones I own - there is a huge sense of space....

Sorry, not following.  850 has wider than 1p2?  How about the quality of the bass?  Which has better mids presentation and clarity?  How about the treble?  Looking forward to your impressions Ivabign, we know you are the  bass guy.  
popcorn.gif

Jun 27, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #1,432 of 3,535
Sorry, not following.  850 has wider than 1p2?  How about the quality of the bass?  Which has better mids presentation and clarity?  How about the treble?  Looking forward to your impressions Ivabign, we know you are the  bass guy.  :popcorn:

I think he meant, it has the widest of any iems he owns, except the 1p2.

Jun 27, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #1,433 of 3,535
I think he means it has one of the widest soundstages but the 1Plus2 still bests it in that area. The 1Plus2 most definitly wins out still in clarity. The 850s mids are a bit more forward with the 1Plus2 having a cleaner sound across the entire spectrum.

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #1,434 of 3,535
  I would consider the FX850 to have a large wide stage for in ears. Comparable to a lot of full sized headphones in stage actually. The IM03 stage is more medium wideish.. Music has proper spacing and depth so it don't sound off or congested in any way.. Bass I would say is around 2-3dbs less than the FX850 but still provides excellent punch and detail in the bass arena. Sub bass of the FX850 is stronger of course being a dynamic but again the Bass BA of the IM03 does a very nice job for the sub bass as well as having excellent speed and layering of the bass..This leads to a more neutral tilt in sound FR but still very musical and enjoyable because of the smooth fatigue free detailed sound of the IM03.. As for portable amps..I use my 2quickstep but really any portable amp with solid dynamics that don't add too much coloration to the source will do.

I would research your portable amps and as soon as I get my scientific experiment in the cheap made in China amps I will be getting sometime this year. I say this as deals extreme stuff gets to you as they put the stuff you buy on a boat it seems. I have no idea when and if they will ship my amps to me. Love waiting forever for cheap goods from China. I will report how they do with the FX850. So far the Topping NX1 seems to have a lot of potential for a $35-$40 amp. Lol. I would read up on them amps. 

Sweetness. Will have to do some research on amps for sure. I'd like something to also be able to power a full size can like the coming HE400i. Wait, should I just get the tips from these and get a different IEM? That seems to be the magic to these.

Hell yeah!

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #1,435 of 3,535

I'll add this to my favorite comparative quotes:

"Think TH600/TH900 in an earphone and you might have a good idea what I am talking about here"
"Walks all over the RE600 in terms of scale"
"More enjoyable than Fitears 334"
"Better sounding than IE800"
"Kept the FX850 and sold the K3003"

Sold the K3003? Wtff.

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #1,436 of 3,535
Sorry to hear about Ivabign's insertion trouble and Dave74's delivery complications, bummer.

... I've been listening to the Fiio silver cable and for under $30, this cable is a no brainer. A bit microphonic but small, light, good looking and most of all, very nice sounding indeed! Thanks to Ericp10 for his great recommendation. Great find!

Talking about cables I will be getting two cables to play with the FX850

(namely PlusSound Silver + 1% Gold Litz and Stage93's 93SPEC Premium Silver Cable which I will be buying the former at near cost price and the latter is reasonably affordable without breaking the bank or/and costs more than FX850 itself)

I will do a field report once I managed to get my hands on them and do a mini shootout against the stock cable (which I heard its actually an SPC cable if you haven realized)

ericp10 Do you think the FX850 were just as or even a lil more responsive to sound changes from tip-rolling and swapping (in terms of presentation)? Because thats what I perceived and I liked it this way as its little things like this that gave the woodies the last stretch of versatility to fit what would perceive to be the best sound of the JVC Woodies.

Jun 28, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #1,437 of 3,535

How's paring your iCAN with FX850? I heard that there's hissing since FX850 is quite sensitive ..

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #1,438 of 3,535
Talking about cables I will be getting two cables to play with the FX850

(namely PlusSound Silver + 1% Gold Litz and Stage93's 93SPEC Premium Silver Cable which I will be buying the former at near cost price and the latter is reasonably affordable without breaking the bank or/and costs more than FX850 itself)

I will do a field report once I managed to get my hands on them and do a mini shootout against the stock cable (which I heard its actually an SPC cable if you haven realized)

ericp10 Do you think the FX850 were just as or even a lil more responsive to sound changes from tip-rolling and swapping (in terms of presentation)? Because thats what I perceived and I liked it this way as its little things like this that gave the woodies the last stretch of versatility to fit what would perceive to be the best sound of the JVC Woodies.

I can't say much about tip rolling because I didn't really do muc of that with the FX850. The stock tips are so perfect for this earphone to my ears. I did try the Ue900 on it once but I can't remember the results.

Jun 28, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #1,439 of 3,535
I can't say much about tip rolling because I didn't really do muc of that with the FX850. The stock tips are so perfect for this earphone to my ears. I did try the Ue900 on it once but I can't remember the results.

It would be great if you were able to try the Ortofon tips with it and do an A/B. I am hoping for a second opinion about it, they improved the way woodies seats snug in my ear canals for me.

Sound-wise too as I hope I din sound insane that a tip could change its presentation so much, these compliments the stock tips well with the contrast.

(P.S. Just placed an order for the 93spec cable for FX850 and hope to post the impressions on the forums sometime soon. ☺)

(P.P.S. What size of stock tips do you usually use?)

Jun 28, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #1,440 of 3,535
  How's paring your iCAN with FX850? I heard that there's hissing since FX850 is quite sensitive ..

This was probably the case with the original version with no gain switches. The amp can throw out 400mW of power and I can see how with the original version using more sensitive iems would have caused some hiss in the background. The one I got is a newer updated one with 3 gain switches on the bottom front of the ICAN. I just use the amp on the lowest gain and the  FX850 sounds too great on the amp with a very clean sound.. My most sensitive iems, ZA Doppios I tried last night and have never heard them sound as good on anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back