The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Jul 3, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #1,487 of 3,535
My regular size is medium, but using Large on the 850,
To get a better grip on the woods :)

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #1,488 of 3,535
  Hi guys,

Reading about all the goodness
L3000.gif
 about these IEM's I decided to take a plunge. I'm torn between FX750 and 850 though. Funds are secondary consideration, but the form factor is. Currently I'm using Klipsch X-10. These are really small, light and comfortable to use, but have tendency to slip out when on the move. I'm not talking jogging or such, just doing some chores around the backyard. Also the cable cable on these is very microphonic.
  I assume that the drivers are identical and so can anyone in here say that 750 and 850 sound the same, or is there a difference in sound because 850 has larger enclosure? Looking at the side by side pics it seems like the increase in size was dictated by fitting the connector, but is the internal chamber bigger as well, giving the 850's the sound people here rave about?

Drives are not identical.
That of FX850 has a greater diameter, 11mm vs 10mm.

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #1,489 of 3,535
Anyone has both the DN-1000 and the FX850?
How do you think they compare? I just got my FX850 and had a short listen, probably only 20 mins. I think they are quite similar. However,  I do think the soundstage of the 850 is much wider and the clarity is better. Instruments sound more realistic and mids are more forward. I don't know how to describe the bass and treble tho. Maybe I will have to spend more time with it. Listening to music with lots of focus on instruments are definitely very enjoyable. Definitely a step up. What do you guys think? 
Then my Clip+ plays Daft Punk's Derezzed....dat bass..now I understand.
I don't wanna take them off..
I have both and enjoy them each for different reasons. I will say this if you listen to the dn1000 in low noise low volume they sound amazing! I'm still surprised. I use both with with my Sony f887 and e12. On the go or at work I use my 850's. When I'm home and need a bit more I isolation while significant other sleeps 1000s, I listen and feel like I'm falling/floating in the music pretty cool. And the clarity is superb. I love both

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #1,490 of 3,535
The natural sound of the 850 is really fantastic open and not overly bright, thick but not muddy, textured with great dynamics, bass extends well and is controlled, I've stuck with stock cables for now bcuz it's sounds great, and I'm broke lol but can't wait to try with nice cables and mayb a class a, ifi, t1 both :grin:

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #1,491 of 3,535
50-hour mark impressions:

The burn-in change is interesting for me. At this point of time the thick bass actually subsided for stock tips while not on the Ortofon tips. With this I would actually DQ out the Ortofon tips much to my surprise.

And thanks to ericp10's recommendation for the cheap Fiio RC-SE1 SPC Cables, I managed to grab one out of curiousity and they do scale well with the DX90, bass is more tight while the mids gets a lil more refined. FX850 actually performed well for male vocals over female vocals which I found to be opposite for FX700 on an Ortofon tips, but with that said I am not missing the sounds of FX700 at all.

(P.S Although fiio cable does make the FX850 a lil too bright on inferior sources such as my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition)

I swapped the Left and Right connectors and used them over-ear with adequate comfort and all is well.

Although I am just curious here, did anyone else faced the problem where other MMCX connectors cannot connect to the FX850 (which has quite a deep socket)

My first pair of Fiio Cables had connection problem on the left side where it just cannot enter the FX850 socket. Fortunately second pair after an exchange on-the-spot works fine.

I am worried that the 93spec cable will have this issue also. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will fit when it comes..

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #1,492 of 3,535
50-hour mark impressions:

The burn-in change is interesting for me. At this point of time the thick bass actually subsided for stock tips while not on the Ortofon tips. With this I would actually DQ out the Ortofon tips much to my surprise.

And thanks to @ericp10's recommendation for the cheap Fiio RC-SE1 SPC Cables, I managed to grab one out of curiousity and they do scale well with the DX90, bass is more tight while the mids gets a lil more refined. FX850 actually performed well for male vocals over female vocals which I found to be opposite for FX700 on an Ortofon tips, but with that said I am not missing the sounds of FX700 at all.

(P.S Although fiio cable does make the FX850 a lil too bright on inferior sources such as my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition)

I swapped the Left and Right connectors and used them over-ear with adequate comfort and all is well.

Although I am just curious here, did anyone else faced the problem where other MMCX connectors cannot connect to the FX850 (which has quite a deep socket)

My first pair of Fiio Cables had connection problem on the left side where it just cannot enter the FX850 socket. Fortunately second pair after an exchange on-the-spot works fine.

I am worried that the 93spec cable will have this issue also. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will fit when it comes..

beerchug.gif
 Glad it worked out for you. I haven't went back to the stock cable yet. I never had a connection problem, so it sounds like you might just have gotten a faulty cable (it happens). Happy listening.

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #1,494 of 3,535

Finally received my 93spec cables from Stage93.

Initial sound impressions is that these make the FX850 sounds smoooooth.. transients and especially speed was improved even when coming from the Fiio RC-SE1; although I do miss the crunch in the vocals of the Fiio RC-SE1, the overall glossiness of the sound leaves little to be desired.

The treble shimmers with sparkle but never harsh and was in fact smooth and fatigue-free. Presentation-wise these also widen the last inch of the soundstaging extension; or more like removing the last bit of veil at the outer-most of the FX850 that was comparatively audible on the stock cable.

There were times when I wished the FX850 to be more emotion-evoking but the smoothing sound just puts that to the back of my mind when the next track starts to play.

So far I am liking what I have heard and found it interesting that how the FX850 reacts well to different cable from stock to fiio rc-se1 to 93spec. I may get the 93pc cables and/or Double-Helix Hybrid Symbiote Litz Cable / Plussound SPC cables.

It would be a fun date with cables for FX850.

However that would be slowly over time as the JH13fp is probably going to get all my attention when it comes back from repair. =)

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #1,495 of 3,535
I'm not one to get into a lot of adjectives to describe sound, so the way I can describe the FX850's, that I've had for about a week, is that they exceeded my expectations and give a level of satisfaction approaching my LCD-2 fazors. So, given that, for comparison's sake, the setups, home versus mobile, are:

Laptop -> JRiver (ASIO) USB -> Schiit Gungnir  -> Schiit Mjolnir -> Moon Audio Black Dragon balanced cable -> LCD-2 Fazor
Laptop -> JRiver (ASIO) USB -> Cypher Labs Theorem 720 dac/amp -> Moon Audio Black Dragon balanced cable -> FX850, or
Galaxy Note 3 -> USB Audio Player Pro -> Cypher Labs Theorem 720 dac/amp -> Moon Audio Black Dragon balanced cable -> FX850

While the FX850 is the lesser of the LCD-2, soundwise to my ears, its awfully damn good for less than half the price. The FX850's sound better to me than my Sony MDR-1RBT (wired), HiFiMAN RE-400's and Thinksound TS02 in the mobile setups. I haven't try the FX850's in the home setup because I don't have the cable.

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #1,496 of 3,535
Ordered a silver cable right after I bought e fx850 cos its a bit too warmth for me....but now after 4 weeks of usage w a double flange, am loving e sound more n more each day n dun feel like I need e silver anymore. Cant wait to see how much better it can get w e cable. Still cant use then w complys which I find most comfortable as e bass gets too kuch w them n e highs too recessed.

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #1,499 of 3,535
Ordered a silver cable right after I bought e fx850 cos its a bit too warmth for me....but now after 4 weeks of usage w a double flange, am loving e sound more n more each day n dun feel like I need e silver anymore. Cant wait to see how much better it can get w e cable. Still cant use then w complys which I find most comfortable as e bass gets too kuch w them n e highs too recessed.

Fiio SPC brings out the vocal a little, while my 93spec improved its speed and transient response with best treble sparkle among the 3 BUT could do more with the vocals as I sometimes wished they could be slightly more forward but thats just personal preference.

Depending on my budgets I may pull the trigger on the 93pc premium copper and a hybrid (either the 2x2 hybrid braided from Nocturnal Audio or the true fusion hybrid wiring type from Double Helix)

Meanwhile I could only alternate between Fiio and 93spec for vocals and instrumental tracks respectively.

Jul 6, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #1,500 of 3,535
These are still getting better and better! :grin: so glad to find out about these on here. Thanx to everyone posting impressions keep them coming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back