The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 30, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #21,496 of 22,486
Hmmm, sounds like the typical "you win some, you lose some, can't get everything at the same time" which is present at all times in this hobby. Thanks.

May 30, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #21,498 of 22,486
Mitch filter would fix that midrange problem more than cable or even amp imho
Not so close. Addressing the issue with a tube amp is a real solution.

May 30, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #21,500 of 22,486
Maybe i shouldnt have said amp as the amps i was thinking typical ss amp lol. I do not have sc cable but i doubt the change is bigger than the filter as its changing more than actual frequency response..cable would be the last option to add after the tube and filter

May 30, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #21,501 of 22,486
Message to Phi and TC owners.

An active member of the french forum "tellementnomade.org" has shared an EQ setting for the Abyss Phi based on several measures he made. I tried his EQ despite having a TC and Oh my, the output is spectacular. Totally.
- Trebles are now sweet as honey but still vivid,
- Mediums have presence like never before,
- Trebles and mediums are balanced perfectly,
- Scene is totally insane! Depth is not a strength of my XI Audio combo. The EQ generates an impressive holographic scene, not kidding.

All in all, the Abyss hasn't lost a dime of its original personality but some < how to name them if Joe is reading this post > are corrected, let's say for my taste.

I have auditioned this EQ with Audirvana coupled with a professional Parametric EQ plug-in called FabFilter Q Pro 3. If you play music with Audirvana, just forget Apple's Parametric EQ. It's just a crap. I have experienced it. If playing with Roon, can't say what the output will be.

Post on the EQ for Abyss : http://www.tellementnomade.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=21753&start=930#p759802
Menu of EQ settings for Abyss and other headphones : http://www.tellementnomade.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=21753
Fabfilter (30-days free evaluation version) : https://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-q-3-equalizer-plug-in

• 1100 Hz | -5.00 dB | Q: 3.00 (Bell)
• 2025 Hz | +3.00 dB | Q: 3.00 (Bell)
• 5000 Hz | +3.00 dB | Q: 4.00 (Bell)
• 6100 Hz | -4.00 dB | Q: 5.00 (Bell)
• 7200 Hz | +3.00 dB | Q: 5.00 (Bell)
• 8200 Hz | -3.00 dB | Q: 5.00 (Bell)
• Global Output : -3.00 dB

If like me you perceive that the bass sort of are bleeding, apply this additional settings. The gentleman who produced these additional EQ settings took into account the measures brought by "hifinews.co.uk" for the TC :

• 35 Hz | –2 dB | Q=2.5 (Bell)
• 150 Hz | +2.5 dB | Q=2 (Bell)
• Global Output : -3.00 dB (of course)

just wanted to bring attention to this post from some time back.
this is actually a really nice EQ. i flip back and forth between this EQ and mitch's filters (neutral).
i feel what the EQ above does is it brings out the mids really well and solves the recessed echoey hollow sound with vocals. it also takes some edge/zing off the top and at the same time not mucking about with the low end too much. the EQ also preserves dynamics quite well; otoh my experience with the filters, although it is definitely more pleasant sounding, but it can occasionally sound a tad bit flat too. Filter 3 (bass/treble extension) doesnt sound as good to me as filter 1 (neutral).
with the EQ/filter, either is better than without IMO.

if you haven't given the EQ above a go, please do. it is free and easy to compare with and without.
plug in the values to Roon, pull down the preamp gain line to -3dB so all the peaks are below 0.
save the setting as eg TC EQ.
then clear all settings (reset) and start with a blank sheet with no EQ.
go to headroom DSP section and apply a -3dB headroom. save setting as eg TC no EQ.
play some music and just flip back and forth between the saved settings.

May 31, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #21,502 of 22,486
Can't afford the superconductor cable ? Make your own :jecklinsmile:
IMG20230601005215.jpg
IMG20230601004815.jpg

May 31, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #21,503 of 22,486
May 31, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #21,504 of 22,486
Very interesting, I would like to see your diy SC cable info as well.

I just received the SC cable, second hand. Thanks @sloomingbla for the deal. Great seller, would definitely buy from again.

Just plugged in the cable. Pretty much everything everybody says about it is true. Soundstage is bigger, or rather more captivating. Treble seems the same level, but maybe a touch more clear. Mids elevated, mostly mid-bass. Bass goes deeper and tighter also. This gives the impression the treble is less, it's just more evened out with the extra mids. Really, it makes the overall presentation more than a subtle difference. The mid to treble difference makes it less treble heavy, much more evened out (I already said that...). Overall, it seems more powerful, more effortless. I kept the volume of my Riviera AIC-10 the same, just powered it down to swap the cable. Seems louder overall. Wow, the bass! More of that awesomeness..

I had to go and order the SC speaker tap adapter to complete the package. With that, everything in and out of the Riviera will be JPS Aluminata or Superconductor. Power cable included. Damn, I'm spending too much again. Can't help it... Thanks for this cable deal sloomingbla, awesome!

Last note. It seems all of the improvements this cable brings is without any trade-off. Unless you like treble heavy..

May 31, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #21,505 of 22,486
Really enjoying Van Morrison's "Into The Mystic" now. Been a favorite of mine for decades now.

I should say I wish I upgraded to this SC cable years ago. I'm still loving my Phi from 2017. Where I do wish I upgraded long ago, this deal came at a time where I was listening to music less than before. So, maybe it came at the right time to renew my enthusiasm. Wonderful thing, this upgraditis...

May 31, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #21,506 of 22,486
Jun 2, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #21,508 of 22,486
^^ That right there lol. I have weights in my lifting room so I just go back and forth from those and the TC.

The extra heat generated helps TC chuck out even more bass, far more than baseline. IDKY it needs heat but it does. Can't really have these in a cool place with AC to relax, in my experience. Kills the tensioning.

Jun 4, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #21,509 of 22,486
It's just so incredibly amazing what the right synergy can do. I plugged Freya+ today back to my system and was trying different combinations with Susvara. The latest combo of tubes I landed on was Linlai E-6SN7 driving PSVane 6SN7-SE. This combination was kind of ok, but a bit lame with Susvara. I started thinking that TC is more aggressive by nature. I plugged in TC and it's completely different experience. I don't recognize this to be the same tube combination and the same system. I've never heard such a difference between these headphones.

With Susvara I prefer driving tubes with LISST, as that makes the setup more aggressive which nicely gives Susvara some grunt. With TC it's a bit different. Too aggressive setup with TC becomes tiring very quickly (excluding some genres that are very tame by nature). This tube combination however, is strange experience. I think I have never heard soundstage this big from headphones. What surprises me most is that Susvara couldn't come near. My guess is that one of the reasons is that TC is not only more aggressive, but it's also more forward. These tubes are both big bottles and they both make soundstage bigger their own ways. With Susvara the music just start to sound lame, but with TC it magnifies everything, still keeping gain levels and soundstage very natural.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #21,510 of 22,486
Really enjoying Van Morrison's "Into The Mystic" now. Been a favorite of mine for decades now.

I should say I wish I upgraded to this SC cable years ago. I'm still loving my Phi from 2017. Where I do wish I upgraded long ago, this deal came at a time where I was listening to music less than before. So, maybe it came at the right time to renew my enthusiasm. Wonderful thing, this upgraditis...
Ah, complete the upgraditus with the 300B to reach realization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back