The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #12,902 of 22,424
Blasphemy!!!!!!

LOL...I kid I kid!

You know what's blasphemy?
I actually think there may be a bit too much bass and mid bass on the Utopia with the WA33... LOL!

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #12,904 of 22,424
You know what's blasphemy?
I actually think there may be a bit too much bass and mid bass on the Utopia with the WA33... LOL!
Wait 'til your tubes have sufficient burn in.
I found the Utopia to scale exceptionally well with the WA33. I actually bought the WA33 based on listening to it (in home) paired with the Utopia.

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #12,905 of 22,424
Wait 'til your tubes have sufficient burn in.
I found the Utopia to scale exceptionally well with the WA33. I actually bought the WA33 based on listening to it (in home) paired with the Utopia.
HEY, I believe you already get rid of the WA33. No? :)

First gen WA22 is very good for it's price (close to a couple of premium tubes). Not sure about the current gen 2.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #12,906 of 22,424
HEY, I believe you already get rid of the WA33. No? :)

First gen WA22 is very good for it's price (close to a couple of premium tubes). Not sure about the current gen 2.
Yes, unfortunately I did sell my WA33 to @JLoud.
This was THE worse decision I've ever made and very much regret doing so, but at the time I think I was using the WA33 so much that I'd just grown tired of it and needed a change. I should've just stop listening to it for a while instead of selling it, then I would've realized and appreciated it again. I'm sure both, the 1st & 2nd generation WA22's are excellent sounding amps, but even though I've never heard either, I'd rather put my money towards a WA33 again knowing what I'd be getting out of it.

Nov 23, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #12,909 of 22,424
Had anyone here tried the topping A90 with thr TC? I know it's a cheap amp, but still wondering if it's detail and resolution is anything serious with the TC?
I have...enough power to drive them...but I came away disappointed. They held them back from what I'm used to with these headphones...they can scale and scale and the A90 doesn't let them hit their stride.

Nov 24, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #12,910 of 22,424
Finally I got my 1266 this afternoon :relaxed:
Wow wow wow looks and feels great! SOLID
Unfortunately, my amp RME ADI-2 PRO will arrive next week :triportsad:
I will keep admiring the beauty of the 1266 till I receive the amp.

Meanwhile, can someone tel me about the fit and the tilt methods and how it affects the sound?More bass, less bass, better soundstage...etc.
if the sound changes with the position dramatically, how Abyss manages to measure the performance. I mean what is the optimum position that was used to take the final FR measurements for the 1266?

Surprisingly, the 1266 is comfortable and secure on the head. I think that I can wear it for 2 hours straight with no issues.

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #12,911 of 22,424

Meanwhile, can someone tel me about the fit and the tilt methods and how it affects the sound?More bass, less bass, better soundstage...etc.
if the sound changes with the position dramatically, how Abyss manages to measure the performance. I mean what is the optimum position that was used to take the final FR measurements for the 1266?

Surprisingly, the 1266 is comfortable and secure on the head. I think that I can wear it for 2 hours straight with no issues.
Congrats! You won't regret it. See this post for the Abyss videos on getting started and adjusting the fit.

Nov 24, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #12,912 of 22,424

I also find it quite comfortable, I can wear it for hours on end with no discomfort.

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #12,913 of 22,424
I like that you know you can wear it for two hours comfortably, and you don't even have an amp yet. :jecklinsmile: Think how comfortable it will be with music. And did you get any funny looks wearing it while NOT listening to music.

Nov 24, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #12,914 of 22,424
Today my Wells Audio Reference Milo showed up and it amazing. If you can’t get WA33 because of cost maybe regular Milo is a good option. It’s 10 watts at 46 ohms and has prat. It almost has a tube sound. It’s faster then WA33 which is more romantic. If your budget is 8000 go WA33 if that’s going to be your only headphone.
A night and day difference was Kennerton Thekk I found the sound more exciting then the Woo. No I wouldn’t sell my WA33 as it has that tube magic but I see myself only using WA33 for my 1266 TC.

Nov 24, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #12,915 of 22,424
I only heard Milo "almost reference" and yes, it's very good synergy but my GS-X mini is more universal.

For more warm HP like D8000 or LCD-4 Milo is not the best choice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back