The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #11,956 of 22,482
Cayin it is, then!

Thanks for all the help, guys. It's been hard finding amp recommendations within this budget but I'm fairly positive that the Cayin will be a good choice.
If it's just to "hold you over"... The Cayin iha-6 is a good choice. Especially if you can pick one up second hand. I too started out with the Iha-6. But it wasn't long (few months) before I was demoing amps that could really deliver the performance the TCs require.

With the help and encouragement of other users... I landed on the SimAudio Moon 600i speaker amp. I wish you could have seen the look on the salesman's face when he heard that I wanted to plug my headphones into a speaker amp via the speaker taps... It was priceless... He too was blown away by what he heard from the Abyss/Moon combo. There was simply no going back to the Iha-6.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not knocking the Cayin amplifier... It is what it is... A budget amp. But eventually you are going to need a special kind of power. Like myself, many find the fix in a high quality speaker amp.

Congrats on your new path to audio bliss... There's no going back now.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #11,957 of 22,482
If it's just to "hold you over"... The Cayin iha-6 is a good choice. Especially if you can pick one up second hand. I too started out with the Iha-6. But it wasn't long (few months) before I was demoing amps that could really deliver the performance the TCs require.

With the help and encouragement of other users... I landed on the SimAudio Moon 600i speaker amp. I wish you could have seen the look on the salesman's face when he heard that I wanted to plug my headphones into a speaker amp via the speaker taps... It was priceless... He too was blown away by what he heard from the Abyss/Moon combo. There was simply no going back to the Iha-6.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not knocking the Cayin amplifier... It is what it is... A budget amp. But eventually you are going to need a special kind of power. Like myself, many find the fix in a high quality speaker amp.

Congrats on your new path to audio bliss... There's no going back now.

Thank you. I actually already find a lot of bliss in my Focal Stellia and my Sennheiser HD800S, but, I want that rollercoaster ride which is the Abyss TC. As much as I love my current headphones, they aren't really end game for me, because to me end game has to be something more profound and earth-shattering. I might be able to place an order on the Abyss in as little as 2-4 weeks, depending. Not gonna lie, 2020 slowed me down a tad bit. I'm currently rocking a full time work-from-home job and two side jobs that I also do from home. The profit margin is what is allowing me to get my dream Abyss 1266 Phi TC, but, I just can't drop several grand on an amp at this time. Hopefully the Cayin will hold me over just fine. I see people running the Abyss off of $200 and $300 amps and being satisfied. Might not be the best of the best, but, it's better than nothing.

Sep 1, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #11,958 of 22,482
Hi,
Lately I have been experiencing intermittent cut off from one driver in my Abyss 1266 TC. This happened quite randomly. The HP is always connected to the Nimbus HPA US4+. I was told by the guy at the shop that all I needed to do it was to turn up the volume for a few seconds and both drivers should be working fine after that. He said something about "waking up the sleepy driver"? :thinking: I tried it and it seemed to work but my question is if this is normal? I have never experienced this is with my 1266 Phi. Any thoughts?

Sep 1, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #11,959 of 22,482
Type the word 'sleep' in the search field of this thread and you will find some similar stories. I hope you will find a useful answer there. I have not personally had issues with this.

Sep 1, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #11,960 of 22,482
Hi,
Lately I have been experiencing intermittent cut off from one driver in my Abyss 1266 TC. This happened quite randomly. The HP is always connected to the Nimbus HPA US4+. I was told by the guy at the shop that all I needed to do it was to turn up the volume for a few seconds and both drivers should be working fine after that. He said something about "waking up the sleepy driver"? :thinking: I tried it and it seemed to work but my question is if this is normal? I have never experienced this is with my 1266 Phi. Any thoughts?

Lol this seems like deja vu.

I had the exact same problem with my TC. No, it is not normal. I had mine sent back to Abyss recently. I don't have the exact details, but the guy replying my emails said their service side repaired and tested it, and from the description of the problem I gave, he postulated there was a loose connection somewhere. My TC came back after 2 months and is working fine now.

AV One? If it is still under warranty, they can send it back on your behalf. If out of warranty, I think u have to ship it back yourself.

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #11,962 of 22,482
Just received the new headband! Nice and plush vs old. My biggest interest in te new headband was the detachability.

Context: I have never found the Abyss HP comfortable. The strap running straight across just does not work for me because it creates a pressure spot where the band touches and this leads to a headache if I have them on for more than an hour or two. So for my head, the headband design is a big fail. I have tried various ways of overcoming this pain point. I would have sold the TC a long time ago if it didn't sound so good.

Anyways, when the new strap came out, I saw new opportunities to create a comfortable strap with the detachable feature. What this has allowed me to do is use 3 larger rubber rings on each side to attach the headband. This works perfectly, won't harm the finish of the HP, and looks somewhat respectable. Importantly, with this tweak, the Abyss spreads the pressure point across the top of my noggin, not just in one tiny spot.

Love the sound of these TC's and NOW, I like wearing them too :)

Attachments

• bands full view.jpg
    bands full view.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 0
  • bands close up.jpg
    bands close up.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 0
  • new bands.jpg
    new bands.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 0
Sep 1, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #11,963 of 22,482
I got a Riviera AIC-10 on loan while my new WA33 Elite/JPS edition gets made.

Man, the AIC-10 is a great match with the TCs. It has the power I was used to with my wa33. It’s a dead silent amp. The soundstage is very good. I need some more time with it, but the AIC-10 is just as good as the wa33 standard, and perhaps better (we’ll see as I continue listening).

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #11,965 of 22,482
Go for the mini I don't know if it's better then the Cayin but I remember it sounding awesome with the 1266 tc. It's easier for warranty repairs.

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #11,966 of 22,482
Go for the mini I don't know if it's better then the Cayin but I remember it sounding awesome with the 1266 tc. It's easier for warranty repairs.

I've been lurking on your posts on another site for ages now and really respect your headphone collection.

I have my eyes set on a ZMF Verite after I get the Abyss in a few weeks. Wish I enjoyed the Empyrean as much as you seem to because I just wasn't crazy about it and sold it. I'm looking for something ultra detailed and with a bass slam, which I'm hoping the Abyss and Verite give me once I acquire them.

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #11,967 of 22,482
I've been lurking on your posts on another site for ages now and really respect your headphone collection.

I have my eyes set on a ZMF Verite after I get the Abyss in a few weeks. Wish I enjoyed the Empyrean as much as you seem to because I just wasn't crazy about it and sold it. I'm looking for something ultra detailed and with a bass slam, which I'm hoping the Abyss and Verite give me once I acquire them.
The bass on Abyss is bass head territory but with sound quality. Verite does smack it isn’t bass light . The Empyrean I only enjoy at louder volume as it’s to subdue at lower it has to do with its bass output that I like so much. Only 2 headphones I have that are not in bass love is LCD 4 and HEkse those are just bass sq. My TH909 have the most slam of the group.

Sep 3, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #11,969 of 22,482
did someone hear the 1266 TC with the Formula S and with the GSX mini ? Im looking for a new upgrade for my new 1266 and those too are always recomendet.

Im looking for a warmish sound signature like some of the woo audio stuff but i cant afford a wa33 jps edition xD

Another question, can someone direct me to the site where someone was giving a adive regarding the position of the earpars for starters ? I really like it if i angle the 1266 a bit forward but i dont know what pad position should be fine for that kind of listening maybe some of you can recomend me a position and i will try it out :D

Thanks in regards

PS: Im building my own custom made headphone stand for the 1266 i will post a picture once its done :D

Sep 3, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #11,970 of 22,482
Check out these two videos for positioning of earpads etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back