The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #11,926 of 22,443
I'm glad you defined Recall for me as I never really knew what it meant. I appreciate that.

Go back in the thread and you will see Joe addressed that and said that the amount of defective O rings were a small amount of the total amount shipped.

No need to be condescending or obnoxious. I'm sorry some one pissed on your corn flakes.

Nobody is condescending here, my O-ring is broken as well, as is my pad. For both I am expected to pay hundreds of dollars for replacement after exactly twelve months. I worked MY ASS OFF in long night shifts to get the money for the tc together. If you are lucky - good for you - but do not start this "for me all works and therefore you shut up" crap.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #11,927 of 22,443
Nobody is condescending here, my O-ring is broken as well, as is my pad. For both I am expected to pay hundreds of dollars for replacement after exactly twelve months. I worked MY ASS OFF in long night shifts to get the money for the tc together. If you are lucky - good for you - but do not start this "for me all works and therefore you shut up" crap.

You're incorrectly reading into what I'm saying. I didn't say it works for me and so f*uck everyone else. That's your interpretation.

What I said is that how do you say something should be recalled for a defect when you have zero idea what percent are defective? I have no affiliation with Abyss. Your'e welcome to your opinion just as I am. It seems to me that Abyss has been very good a taking care of individual owners issues. I guess that's not good enough for you.

If mine breaks, I'll order another headband. That's life. crap happens.

Aug 27, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #11,928 of 22,443
It seems to me that Abyss has been very good a taking care of individual owners issues. I guess that's not good enough for you.

I was told that my badly glued pad which broke after a year is considered a wear and tear item which needs to be repurchased for $440. The pad was a bit faulty from the beginning but I did not do/say anything because I was totally sure they would take good care of me. Go figure.

I also would not mind buying a headband for $220 if I chose to do so at that moment. Doing so after again one year because of some o-ring ... not so much.

It is great that you will "just buy another" if it happens ... good on you, mate! Really good! But for me, in 2020, I cannot do this. So .... no, it is not good enough.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #11,929 of 22,443
I was told that my badly glued pad which broke after a year is considered a wear and tear item which needs to be repurchased for $440. The pad was a bit faulty from the beginning but I did not do/say anything because I was totally sure they would take good care of me. Go figure.

I also would not mind buying a headband for $220 if I chose to do so at that moment. Doing so after again one year because of some o-ring ... not so much.

It is great that you will "just buy another" if it happens ... good on you, mate! Really good! But for me, in 2020, I cannot do this. So .... no, it is not good enough.

I emphasize with the problems you have, but my comments and yours are not about the same thing. Yes you’ve had a couple of issues, and yes you have the right to be upset.

However, I’m only commenting on the fact that no one can say that a product should have a recall without first knowing the percentage of defects. So for this you need to know the total sold, and the total defective. Then figure out the percentage.

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #11,931 of 22,443
The new headbands are hand made in small batches. While they are a bit behind we plan to begin shipping preorders next week as they become available.
The current ETA shown is for new orders.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Aug 28, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #11,932 of 22,443
I emphasize with the problems you have, but my comments and yours are not about the same thing. Yes you’ve had a couple of issues, and yes you have the right to be upset.

However, I’m only commenting on the fact that no one can say that a product should have a recall without first knowing the percentage of defects. So for this you need to know the total sold, and the total defective. Then figure out the percentage.
I agree here and there.

Regardless, Abyss is only bringing bad optics upon themselves.

Aug 28, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #11,933 of 22,443
I agree here and there.

Regardless, Abyss is only bringing bad optics upon themselves.

Not really. It’s a handful of members on the forum that Have had an issue and state how there should be a product recall when they have no idea what the percentage of failure is. It’s a
kin to calling fire in a movie theater.

Maybe the percentage is high, and maybe the percentage is low. But none of us know so there’s no reason to disparage the company.

Aug 28, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #11,934 of 22,443
On the other hand what percentage does constitute a recall issue? There’s no general acknowledged figure so it’s up to the individual company.

Aug 28, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #11,935 of 22,443
my take is, Abyss knows they have a good product and a good fan base, and they do things by the book.

I don't expect nor demand special service or preferential treatment, but it is always nice when a company takes the initiative to go that extra mile. I've had a few vendors which have gone out of their way when they absolutely did not have to, but that little bit of extra service from them went a long way in customer satisfaction, peace of mind, and repeat patronage.

A few folks here have issues with broken O rings. For those affected, how many have Abyss reached out to first or initiated "first contact"? we do know Abyss does read this thread; again I do know they're not expected to, but it would be a "nice" gesture if they reached out and said hey sorry to hear about that, it's a rare incident, we can't do a freebie but maybe a 20 buck off discount voucher would help? A little goes a long way.. If the number of o ring issues are small, then it really wouldn't hurt to try and make good on it. And another guy here had issue with his pads but from what was communicated to me, the response he got from abyss could have been better.

Personally, I was disappointed that I didn't get the extended warranty given I sent in my request form about 2 to 3 months past the 3 month from purchase eligibility period. As mentioned previously, I didn't even know about it nor did my local dealer inform me. I think there are some here who also did not know about it as well. Till now I don't understand the logic behind this requirement.

Again, its not that we are expecting favours or special treatment. If you've had abyss go the extra mile for you, then great. Just expect that it isn't extended to everyone, and realize it's not their obligation to anyways. God knows I love my TC Phi, and if the stars align, in all likelihood I'll be ordering the wa33 jps edition from them soon.

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #11,938 of 22,443
I know that this has probably been mentioned somewhere in these 796 pages, but, I don't want to sift through this whole forum.

What are some budget amps that will push the Abyss 1266 Phi TC? By budget, I mean $500 or so. I'm leaning towards a JDS Labs Element II or a THX XXX 789 because I know that they have enough power. I know that every amp has its own unique flavor which is why sometimes having enough power doesn't mean that it'll sound it's full potential. I'll gladly work towards upgrading my amp/dac setup over the next year or so but want something to hold me over until then because I'm looking to get an Abyss by October or November. My current amp, the Rupert Neve RNHP, isn't strong enough to push the Abyss and I want a budget friendly solution until then.

Sorry if this has been asked time and time again. Just a girl trying to find some answers, here. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps out.

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #11,939 of 22,443
I know that this has probably been mentioned somewhere in these 796 pages, but, I don't want to sift through this whole forum.

What are some budget amps that will push the Abyss 1266 Phi TC? By budget, I mean $500 or so. I'm leaning towards a JDS Labs Element II or a THX XXX 789 because I know that they have enough power. I know that every amp has its own unique flavor which is why sometimes having enough power doesn't mean that it'll sound it's full potential. I'll gladly work towards upgrading my amp/dac setup over the next year or so but want something to hold me over until then because I'm looking to get an Abyss by October or November. My current amp, the Rupert Neve RNHP, isn't strong enough to push the Abyss and I want a budget friendly solution until then.

Sorry if this has been asked time and time again. Just a girl trying to find some answers, here. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps out.

The Schiit Lyr can drive them...plenty of power on tap and an amp that kicks like a mule.

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #11,940 of 22,443
What are some budget amps that will push the Abyss 1266 Phi TC? By budget, I mean $500 or so.
The Schiit Lyr can drive them...plenty of power on tap and an amp that kicks like a mule.
There was someone in this thread a long while back who loved the Lyr 3 with his 1266. I've used the Cayin iHA-6 and it sounds great. $700 new I believe so if you can find one used it would be within your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back