The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #12,886 of 22,434
Maybe a bit 'cold' is a better description. Certainly hyper-detailed, so might come off as that to me. Warming up the sound with amp and/or cables helps for my subjective tastes.
I’ve been using it with the HeadAmp GSX Mini which is pretty warm and the pairing is lovely. I am considering adding a tube pre-amp to the mix just to warm up the midrange a little more

What did you find best results with?

Nov 21, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #12,887 of 22,434
I think Susvara is even more detalited than my 1266 Phi but for me it's too much... And they don't have this insane bass. Yeah slighty warm setup is best for 1266.
Maybe a bit 'cold' is a better description. Certainly hyper-detailed, so might come off as that to me. Warming up the sound with amp and/or cables helps for my subjective tastes.

Nov 21, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #12,888 of 22,434
I’ve been using it with the HeadAmp GSX Mini which is pretty warm and the pairing is lovely. I am considering adding a tube pre-amp to the mix just to warm up the midrange a little more

Did you try Pro ICan with better tubes?

Nov 21, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #12,889 of 22,434
Did you try Pro ICan with better tubes?

I generally don’t want to overspend at the moment which is why I’d prefer to stay with the HeadAmp, and just add a cheaper, warm pre-amp to the mix. Maybe something like the Cayin HA1A Mk2?

Nov 21, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #12,891 of 22,434

On the SS side, probably the V281 or upgraded Wells Milo. Both are on the warmer side, plenty of power. But haven't had either of those in a while so going on memory. For tubes I've had two that worked well for my tastes, an older ampsandsound SE-84 (EL-84 based) and their Mogwai SE. Surprising me right now is the $300 Drop THX 789. I only bought it to test something with, but for $300, it's more than good. Not reference by any means, but way more enjoyable than I would have thought.

Nov 21, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #12,893 of 22,434
On the SS side, probably the V281 or upgraded Wells Milo. Both are on the warmer side, plenty of power. But haven't had either of those in a while so going on memory. For tubes I've had two that worked well for my tastes, an older ampsandsound SE-84 (EL-84 based) and their Mogwai SE. Surprising me right now is the $300 Drop THX 789. I only bought it to test something with, but for $300, it's more than good. Not reference by any means, but way more enjoyable than I would have thought.
Like for MIlo, excellety paring with 1266!

Nov 21, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #12,894 of 22,434
Hi Ciggavelli, Wondered if you have done a comparison between the Standard WA33 and the EE JPS version on the WA33 forum ? Would be great to know if the much higher additional cost is worth it !
I haven't done a formal review, but the WA33 EE JPS is better in every way. The WA33 standard is amazing in its own right, but the WA33 EE JPS pushes it up another notch. There's more weight, the soundstage is a bit larger (you really feel like instruments are all outside of your head), the bass hits a little harder, and the treble is a bit sweeter.

Prior to the EE JPS, I was a little disappointed in my Susvaras. I loved the TCs, but the Susvaras were missing something. I was going to sell them, but decided to wait until the EE JPS arrived. I'm so glad I didn't sell them. The Susvaras sound amazing out of the EE JPS. They scaled up very well. The TCs also scaled up, but I've always liked them. I was just pretty blown away with the differences between the Standard and EE JPS with the Susvaras.

Now, is the increased price worth it? It was for me, but objectively, it's not 2 times better. It's better, for sure, but from a pure dollar amount, you're paying twice aw much for the EE JPS, but not getting twice the performance boost. I would say you get 1.5x of an increase though.

I don't regret my EE JPS purchase at all. Would I have bought the EE JPS first, knowing what I know now? I definitely would, but I don't regret buying my WA33 standard first though. It introduced me to the sound of the WA33. The $8K list price is easier to swallow than the $17K price of the EE JPS. $17k is a lot to spend on an an item you have never heard. So, it's probably more responsible to buy the Standard first...hahaha. But if you want the best of the best, the EE JPS is the amp to have

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #12,895 of 22,434
I haven't done a formal review, but the WA33 EE JPS is better in every way. The WA33 standard is amazing in its own right, but the WA33 EE JPS pushes it up another notch. There's more weight, the soundstage is a bit larger (you really feel like instruments are all outside of your head), the bass hits a little harder, and the treble is a bit sweeter.

Prior to the EE JPS, I was a little disappointed in my Susvaras. I loved the TCs, but the Susvaras were missing something. I was going to sell them, but decided to wait until the EE JPS arrived. I'm so glad I didn't sell them. The Susvaras sound amazing out of the EE JPS. They scaled up very well. The TCs also scaled up, but I've always liked them. I was just pretty blown away with the differences between the Standard and EE JPS with the Susvaras.

Now, is the increased price worth it? It was for me, but objectively, it's not 2 times better. It's better, for sure, but from a pure dollar amount, you're paying twice aw much for the EE JPS, but not getting twice the performance boost. I would say you get 1.5x of an increase though.

I don't regret my EE JPS purchase at all. Would I have bought the EE JPS first, knowing what I know now? I definitely would, but I don't regret buying my WA33 standard first though. It introduced me to the sound of the WA33. The $8K list price is easier to swallow than the $17K price of the EE JPS. $17k is a lot to spend on an an item you have never heard. So, it's probably more responsible to buy the Standard first...hahaha. But if you want the best of the best, the EE JPS is the amp to have
Hi Ciggavelli, Thank you very much for your very helpful reply and and your experiences with the standard WA33 and the EE JPS version. Very much appreciated.

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #12,896 of 22,434

I just got my wa33 jps non EE, and this post doesn't help me at all LOL!

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #12,898 of 22,434
You can at least claim it's 100000x better than a WA22.

WA22 is still a good amp, when paired with nice tubes! I think I actually prefer the Utopia with the wa22 over the 33.

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #12,900 of 22,434

Users who are viewing this thread

Back