The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 24, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #12,931 of 22,482
You make me feel extremely nervous about my purchase!

FWIW, I bought the 1266 TC and the Susvara at the exact same time. While the Susvara is more comfortable, I find myself reaching for the TC more now that I have the ear pad and head position dialed in.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #12,932 of 22,482
After figuring out the best rotation of the ear pads, it’s very easy and simple to adjust the fit and therefore adjust the bass levels.

I listen to my TCs throughout the week. It literally takes me less than 30 seconds to fit. It’s not difficult at all (at least for me).

The hard part is just figuring out the initial rotation and fit of the earpads. It took me like a week of experimenting before I found the best fit for me. Yeah, that’s some effort, but it definitely pays off. After that, small adjustments per genre are quick and easy

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #12,933 of 22,482
lol don't be. Mine is the OG 1266. Much has changed since then, that headband overhaul included.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #12,934 of 22,482
I played with fit for a couple of days. Now I just pop them on, no adjustments needed. If I want to add or subtract bass I rotate pads one spot. Of course everyones head is different.

Nov 25, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #12,935 of 22,482
Same here. Under 10 seconds to adjust the fit. I do find myself adjusting/tweaking it further occasionally during the listening session though, but I don't mind doing that.

And yes, the new headband is a huge improvement, once you have found the right size O ring.

Nov 25, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #12,936 of 22,482
This is the headband made by a leathermaker from Rome. The Abyss writing was done by laser and not pressure and I wanted only one snap button, instead of the two screw, absolutely perfect. :gs1000smile:

Attachments

• img-2010.jpg
    img-2010.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 0
Nov 25, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #12,937 of 22,482
Mom, how ugly she is! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!:o2smile:

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #12,939 of 22,482
This is the headband made by a leathermaker from Rome. The Abyss writing was done by laser and not pressure and I wanted only one snap button, instead of the two screw, absolutely perfect. :gs1000smile:

Get a few more made and send them to us! Do they have other colours available?

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #12,940 of 22,482
Get a few more made and send them to us! Do they have other colours available?
I'm not the headband but a leathermaker from Rome. But I believe that any good leathermaker can do it, it is certainly not difficult. It is enough to have the measurements of the original and the craftsman will be able to replicate it faithfully. Then as regards the colors, I think there is no problem. Everyone can have it done as he wishes. They are only 2 coupled strips of leather, nothing particular that a good craftsman cannot do. This artisan from Rome made it in a few hours, all you need is the machinery to work the leather.

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #12,941 of 22,482
Hey guys. Currently working on a prototype of comfy headband for the 1266. Super premium leathers on both sides, slick upper leather in various colors, suede leather for the lower side, totally hand-stitched. Form factor is now settled (see pic below). We - me the designer and my Leather man, are exploring different foams to place in-between the layers of leather for maximum comfort. We are also exploring on-demand vegan tanning with different manufacturers for the lower leather as vegan tan prevents from allergies but this is quite difficult to source small volume. Stay tuned :wink:

Attachments

• 75471076-7652-4176-9019-D18FCFF1A750.JPG
    75471076-7652-4176-9019-D18FCFF1A750.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #12,942 of 22,482
Hey guys. Currently working on a prototype of comfy headband for the 1266. Super premium leathers on both sides, slick upper leather in various colors, suede leather for the lower side, totally hand-stitched. Form factor is now settled (see pic below). We - me the designer and my Leather man, are exploring different foams to place in-between the layers of leather for maximum comfort. We are also exploring on-demand vegan tanning with different manufacturers for the lower leather as vegan tan prevents from allergies but this is quite difficult to source small volume. Stay tuned :wink:
I did not know people be allergic to leather, good to know.

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #12,943 of 22,482
I did not know people be allergic to leather, good to know.
Some people are allergic to the dyeing of the leather when these leathers are chrome-tanned, not to the leather itself. Long story short, these allergies are due to the presence of chrome. Statistics say that around 10% of a population may declare such allergies. When a headband is placed on bold-head, risks increase. That's the reason why vegan tanned leather is a must-have but vegan-tanned suedes doesn't come as standard in the market. Moreover, when suede leathers are vegan-tanned, they may leak their dyeing and leave some traces. Not good at all for the customer experience... As a result, a vegan-tanned suede with specific treatment to fix the dyeing must be manufacture on-demand. But it is worth to do since the touch of suede leather on skin is cool, and helps to prevent heavy headphone to slide.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #12,944 of 22,482
Yes, unfortunately I did sell my WA33 to @JLoud.
This was THE worse decision I've ever made and very much regret doing so, but at the time I think I was using the WA33 so much that I'd just grown tired of it and needed a change. I should've just stop listening to it for a while instead of selling it, then I would've realized and appreciated it again.

I can feel you here. You get so used to what you have, you can lose an appreciation for how good it actually is. That is, until you hear something else that's a lot worse. I've definitely regretted selling a few things in my audio life!

Nov 26, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #12,945 of 22,482
I’m on the cusp of selling my WA33. The introduction of Wells Milo is pushing me. Only thing is the Woo looks beautiful. Only time I use it is with the 1266.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back