The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 8, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #12,316 of 22,424
Sorry you took our response [below] that way, probably should rephrase if it paraphrases like that.

"It’s a slow go having these made in small batches. As the world is nowadays everything is behind schedule. Will ship once we have.
Thanks!
The ABYSS Team"

Please realize we're doing our best to have the new headbands made quickly, just that demand is greater than supply. These are hand-made in North America using top shelf materials by a leathersmith who makes fine leather goods for a living.

The thin leather on the new headband should stretch out over time. We initially tried one on a stand and the leather ultimately stretched out in a few days to a slight curve toward the top (assuming trying to stretch by extending the top).
If you're replacing a well healed old style headband and are accustomed to a good amount of stretch, the end rings can be replaced with whatever length that fit your needs. The current rings are urethane, durometer 70, dash number 213, 1/8" thick, 15/16" ID, so shoot for slightly higher, maybe 215. Buna-N or Viton material will also work and are more common. This, or we have a few various sized rings around for the asking.
Thanks for responding. I did interpret that response differently than you may have intended.

I will wait a few days and see what happens with the headband. If that doesn’t work I’ll look into larger O-rings.

But, right out of the box, the headband is not of the same quality that I’m used to with Abyss gear. I feel like the top potion and the bottom portion should be attached more tightly, as after inspection there appears to be a lot of air between the top and bottom and that is why it bunches up and curls.

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #12,317 of 22,424
For everybody with the new headband, does it bunch up in places and curl in the middle? I feel like I installed it correctly (it wasn't very easy though...), but it just looks off (frankly, bad). It appears like it is curling and bunching up because it is stretched too tight. I dunno, maybe it's because of the extra padding in the middle.
I too have the same issue with it kind of bunched up...it doesnt bother me too much but I do find that the new headband does cause the HP to sit higher up on my head which is a bit of an inconvenience

Oct 9, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #12,318 of 22,424
If you're replacing a well healed old style headband and are accustomed to a good amount of stretch, the end rings can be replaced with whatever length that fit your needs. The current rings are urethane, durometer 70, dash number 213, 1/8" thick, 15/16" ID, so shoot for slightly higher, maybe 215. Buna-N or Viton material will also work and are more common. This, or we have a few various sized rings around for the asking.
Maybe it's an idea to include 2 or 3 sizes for customers to try and get the best fit? I assume an O-ring is not very costly and it would save customers a lot of trouble trying to find one themselves. The specs you list above mean absolutely nothing to a layman like me. :)

Oct 9, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #12,319 of 22,424
I decided to use that length end loop, knowing the soft leather will stretch and conform over time. I placed a final prototype on a 1266 on my desk on a stand (hanging on the headband), and measured the amount of stretch day by day. One day to the next it would drop down a bit, then I would pull open the top frame some more to stretch it, and next day it would drop a bit more, until the leather reached its endpoint of stretch. Chose the end ring length going from that final point. Understood though that when new it's not the same as the well healed one you just removed. Bit of a catch 22. Sort of like a new shoe, it has to break-in.

The way it's assembled is for comfort, when worn it has more of a curved hammock shape rather than flat, better at spreading weight over the top of your head. What surprises me is the initial quality assessment, imo placing the 2 side by side there's no comparison, the new headband is far higher quality (just ask a woman). ABYSS_SMILEY_tiny.png I get it though, we all have our 1266 set, and now it's reset. Maybe replacement headbands should be one size larger (amounts to 0.05"/1.2 mm longer). Tiny changes length make a big difference in how it hangs.ABYSS_SMILEY_tiny.png

Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Oct 9, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #12,322 of 22,424
I decided to use that length end loop, knowing the soft leather will stretch and conform over time. I placed a final prototype on a 1266 on my desk on a stand (hanging on the headband), and measured the amount of stretch day by day. One day to the next it would drop down a bit, then I would pull open the top frame some more to stretch it, and next day it would drop a bit more, until the leather reached its endpoint of stretch. Chose the end ring length going from that final point. Understood though that when new it's not the same as the well healed one you just removed. Bit of a catch 22. Sort of like a new shoe, it has to break-in.

The way it's assembled is for comfort, when worn it has more of a curved hammock shape rather than flat, better at spreading weight over the top of your head. What surprises me is the initial quality assessment, imo placing the 2 side by side there's no comparison, the new headband is far higher quality (just ask a woman). ABYSS_SMILEY_tiny.png I get it though, we all have our 1266 set, and now it's reset. Maybe replacement headbands should be one size larger (amounts to 0.05"/1.2 mm longer). Tiny changes length make a big difference in how it hangs.ABYSS_SMILEY_tiny.png
Thanks for clarifying. Many users, myself included, use the Room's stand from headphone auditions in Amsterdam, and thus are not hanging the TC by the headband, but on the frame. That would mean it would take much longer for the shoe to break in, I guess...

Oct 9, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #12,325 of 22,424

Actually I just like that the death-metal logo is gone

Oct 9, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #12,329 of 22,424
Any impressions on TToby + TC 1266?
Any improvements compared to TT2 XLR balanced output?
I want to match TC 1266 with TT2 and I don't like the form-factor of Formula S or WA33. (and I don't have enough space on my desk)
I want to stack TT2 + HMS + TToby.
I have already seen this review on Diana Phi + TToby
https://headfonics.com/abyss-headphones-diana-phi-review/2

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #12,330 of 22,424
If anyone is interested in a great deal on the Phi CC (2018 edition) in the EU let me know. I got mine from another Head-Fier, has some wear marks but is in an otherwise great condition and comes with a 4.4, 6.3 and XLR cable. I might be posting it for sale soon but would be happy to sell it off the bat if someone would like one!

Will post photos if anyone is interested :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back