The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 8, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #12,302 of 22,434
Hey Guys,

i have now about 150 Hrs of listening with my new 1266 TC and want to upgrade my Dac/Amp.
My current Amp is the thx789 which works fine (considering the money it costs its amazing) with the Sabaj D5 as a dac.
The problem is that if i go over about 60% volume on my thx the high s becomes to strong so i cant enjoy my music...

Im looking for a Tube amp thats smoths out some of the highs but i want still the raw power in the low end like the 789...
I cant afford the WA33 to be completly honest thats way out of my budget and the smaller one from Woo Audio seems to dont have the full power in the low end...

I would like to spend between 2k and 4k (cayin ha-300 seems nice).

After that purchase i will buy a nice SS for my 1266 to finalze my setup but i really love the tubiness on my stereo system so i would like to get that with my headphones..

What are youre recomendations?
I would suggest the Woo WA5le. I used it with my TC for about a year. Plenty of power(8 watts). Really nice amp. I sold mine with upgraded tubes for $2500. New stock is like $3800. But Woo has a Black Friday sale every year with 10% off.

Oct 8, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #12,303 of 22,434
Let us know how you like the Superconductor, I am on the fence to buy one. :)
I would really like to know as well. It is a big investment without ever hearing it personally.

Oct 8, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #12,304 of 22,434
I would really like to know as well. It is a big investment without ever hearing it personally.
I highly recommend it. There is great synergy with the WA33 and Chord Dave too. It's definitely a step above the standard cable (which is also good, just not as good)

Oct 8, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #12,305 of 22,434
I highly recommend it. There is great synergy with the WA33 and Chord Dave too. It's definitely a step above the standard cable (which is also good, just not as good)
Thanks for the input. I'll have to put one on my "to get list."

Oct 8, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #12,306 of 22,434
This new headband is super trash.:deadhorse:

It gave me a slight headache, and that never happened with the old one. The clamping pressure is just more pronounced.

I want my money back or for them to replace my new one with the old version (which I hope they still make; though it’s not on their site anymore:sweat:)

Oct 8, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #12,307 of 22,434
This new headband is super trash.:deadhorse:

It gave me a slight headache, and that never happened with the old one. The clamping pressure is just more pronounced.

I want my money back or for them to replace my new one with the old version (which I hope they still make; though it’s not on their site anymore:sweat:)
Mmm I ordered one some time ago but no idea when it might arrive. Maybe I should stick with my zmf pilot pad mod..

Oct 8, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #12,308 of 22,434

I would also vouch for the SC cable. Its smoother and more organic sounding than the stock cable. Its pricey but not out of line with other TOTL cables. Luckily I managed to find a used one which swung it for me.

Oct 8, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #12,309 of 22,434
Mmm I ordered one some time ago but no idea when it might arrive. Maybe I should stick with my zmf pilot pad mod..
Yeah, I felt like I ordered mine as soon as it was up on the store, and I just got it.

I emailed Abyss about why I hadn’t gotten mine, while other people have, and they were like, “well as you know the world is different now. We’ll send you it when it is ready”

Oct 8, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #12,310 of 22,434
I would also vouch for the SC cable. Its smoother and more organic sounding than the stock cable. Its pricey but not out of line with other TOTL cables. Luckily I managed to find a used one which swung it for me.
I wan't used SC cable too, damn!

Oct 8, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #12,311 of 22,434
Too expensive for a cable imho.. Pass for me. Yeah, I know, my loss.. :)

Oct 8, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #12,313 of 22,434
Yeah, I felt like I ordered mine as soon as it was up on the store, and I just got it.

I emailed Abyss about why I hadn’t gotten mine, while other people have, and they were like, “well as you know the world is different now. We’ll send you it when it is ready”

They really need to hire someone with better customer relation/service skills. That kind of tone is unnecessary and uncalled for, and the same goes for some of their replies in this thread.

Oct 8, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #12,314 of 22,434

I'm also getting more clamping pressure. Someone posted before to try a larger O ring size. I've been looking for some replacements on Amazon and eBay.

Oct 8, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #12,315 of 22,434

Sorry you took our response [below] that way, probably should rephrase if it paraphrases like that.

"It’s a slow go having these made in small batches. As the world is nowadays everything is behind schedule. Will ship once we have.
Thanks!
The ABYSS Team"

Please realize we're doing our best to have the new headbands made quickly, just that demand is greater than supply. These are hand-made in North America using top shelf materials by a leathersmith who makes fine leather goods for a living.

The thin leather on the new headband should stretch out over time. We initially tried one on a stand and the leather ultimately stretched out in a few days to a slight curve toward the top (assuming trying to stretch by extending the top).
If you're replacing a well healed old style headband and are accustomed to a good amount of stretch, the end rings can be replaced with whatever length that fit your needs. The current rings are urethane, durometer 70, dash number 213, 1/8" thick, 15/16" ID, so shoot for slightly higher, maybe 215. Buna-N or Viton material will also work and are more common. This, or we have a few various sized rings around for the asking.

Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back