The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #12,288 of 22,482
What environment are you listening in? Very humid, hot, or cold? I have never had an issue like that.

Oct 7, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #12,291 of 22,482
Just a dry office environment. My ears get warm and it creates a humid micro environment within the ear pads. Do people normally loosely fit the headphones over their ears?
Never heard that before. Check out the video on Abyss YT page re: fit. Yes, loose.

You need to take them off before you get in the shower.
LOL

Oct 7, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #12,292 of 22,482
Abyss recommends a very loose fit. Not sealed, just barely touching your ears.

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #12,293 of 22,482
Do you often get moisture build up or condensation on the driver grills after each listening session? Can this cause any issues to the drivers in the long term?
Yes, but not every time. On particularly hot and humid days, I’ve had condensation on part of the grills where my earlobes closest to the casing. Real water droplets on the surface. Doesn’t seem to affect anything.

I contacted Abyss, they said that no need to worry about the inside, it won’t accumulate as it’s a moving part in an open environment. Just take off the pad and wipe the surface condensation away. If I recall correctly, I’d been told to pay special attention not to touch the mesh between the grill. It’s delicate and part of the driver. There is no way to repair the mesh other than replacing the driver assembly.

Oct 8, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #12,294 of 22,482
Yes, but not every time. On particularly hot and humid days, I’ve had condensation on part of the grills where my earlobes closest to the casing. Real water droplets on the surface. Doesn’t seem to affect anything.

I contacted Abyss, they said that no need to worry about the inside, it won’t accumulate as it’s a moving part in an open environment. Just take off the pad and wipe the surface condensation away. If I recall correctly, I’d been told to pay special attention not to touch the mesh between the grill. It’s delicate and part of the driver. There is no way to repair the mesh other than replacing the driver assembly.

Thanks for the advice

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #12,295 of 22,482
Hey, could you point me in the right direction of what kind of cable adapter that is you have plugged into the back of the TT2? I want to give this a try.

IMG_0936.jpeg

Nordost is making one too. It's the same quality, as their Heimdall 2 line of cables and it doesn't cost a fortune.

Oct 8, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #12,296 of 22,482
Hey Guys,

i have now about 150 Hrs of listening with my new 1266 TC and want to upgrade my Dac/Amp.
My current Amp is the thx789 which works fine (considering the money it costs its amazing) with the Sabaj D5 as a dac.
The problem is that if i go over about 60% volume on my thx the high s becomes to strong so i cant enjoy my music...

Im looking for a Tube amp thats smoths out some of the highs but i want still the raw power in the low end like the 789...
I cant afford the WA33 to be completly honest thats way out of my budget and the smaller one from Woo Audio seems to dont have the full power in the low end...

I would like to spend between 2k and 4k (cayin ha-300 seems nice).

After that purchase i will buy a nice SS for my 1266 to finalze my setup but i really love the tubiness on my stereo system so i would like to get that with my headphones..

What are youre recomendations?

Oct 8, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #12,297 of 22,482
For everybody with the new headband, does it bunch up in places and curl in the middle? I feel like I installed it correctly (it wasn't very easy though...), but it just looks off (frankly, bad). It appears like it is curling and bunching up because it is stretched too tight. I dunno, maybe it's because of the extra padding in the middle.

Oct 8, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #12,298 of 22,482
For everybody with the new headband, does it bunch up in places and curl in the middle? I feel like I installed it correctly (it wasn't very easy though...), but it just looks off (frankly, bad). It appears like it is curling and bunching up because it is stretched too tight. I dunno, maybe it's because of the extra padding in the middle.

Same here, honestly a rather disappointing piece of industrial design.

Also, the new headband - at least with the supplied O-ring set - does not allow the frame to be fully extended as I was used to, hence I get some pressure from the pads on my ears, and the overall comfort is actually WORSE than with the original headband ...

Oct 8, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #12,299 of 22,482
Same here, honestly a rather disappointing piece of industrial design.

Also, the new headband - at least with the supplied O-ring set - does not allow the frame to be fully extended as I was used to, hence I get some pressure from the pads on my ears, and the overall comfort is actually WORSE than with the original headband ...
I'm glad I'm not the only one, but it's disappointing that this is the new design. I also felt pressure on the pads that I didn't before. I hope that goes away as the o-rings gradually stretch, but who knows. I may have to go back to the old headband actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back