The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #9,961 of 22,424
I can't wai for the Formula s and Powerman to arrive.

Jan 11, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #9,962 of 22,424
Looking into Joining Abyess's Club Guys :ksc75smile: can you guide me and teach me about Abyess Phi TC?

i have owned Utopia and Susvara before, i would say their Treble was a dissapointment for me, i love sparkly Treble.

i used to have HE-6 with speaker amp, not the best mids, but the bass and treble was to die for. yet again the mids were a joke lol

i own DAVE (wasnt my cup of tea) i loved Hugo over it, because i listen to J-pop EDM Electronic. with J-pop i need good mids/vocal ofc, so i went utopia, bass and treble left me wanting more. so i went susvara, which kind of felt bland/plain

i stopped for a year, now thinking of Hugo TT 2 + M-Scaler (should be top tier setup) and maybe an amp? if i decided to go with Abyess Phi TC.

rn i have TH900, with whatever dac/amp

if i will go back and spend 25-35k USD, i hope Phi TC will be worth it.

can you compare the Treble Sparkle of Abyess Phi TC with Susvara and Utopia (which again were a joke level, i am being honest)

i love bright and sparkling treble, at least Treble should be extended to the max in some totl headphones, which isn't the case sadly.

btw i live faraway so going to shop and testing will require me to fly lol.
You
is Xi Audio Formula S a good SS Amp for AB TC? or not enough power?

You should check into the Headtrip II headphone amp if you are looking for state of the art for the Abyss TC.

Jan 11, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #9,963 of 22,424
You should check into the Headtrip II headphone amp if you are looking for state of the art for the Abyss TC.

oh thanks for the recomendation, seems like an end game SS amp for the TC. looking forward to have it.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #9,965 of 22,424
Looking into Joining Abyess's Club Guys :ksc75smile: can you guide me and teach me about Abyess Phi TC?

i have owned Utopia and Susvara before, i would say their Treble was a dissapointment for me, i love sparkly Treble.

i used to have HE-6 with speaker amp, not the best mids, but the bass and treble was to die for. yet again the mids were a joke lol

i own DAVE (wasnt my cup of tea) i loved Hugo over it, because i listen to J-pop EDM Electronic. with J-pop i need good mids/vocal ofc, so i went utopia, bass and treble left me wanting more. so i went susvara, which kind of felt bland/plain

i stopped for a year, now thinking of Hugo TT 2 + M-Scaler (should be top tier setup) and maybe an amp? if i decided to go with Abyess Phi TC.

rn i have TH900, with whatever dac/amp

can you compare the Treble Sparkle of Abyess Phi TC with Susvara and Utopia (which again were a joke level, i am being honest)

i love bright and sparkling treble, at least Treble should be extended to the max in some totl headphones, which isn't the case sadly.

btw i live faraway so going to shop and testing will require me to fly lol.

If you're top priority is top-end sparkle, I think you need to take a slightly different tack than most people are suggesting. I think the 1266 TC is a solid option for you (I'm someone who enjoys the brightness of the LCD-XC), but only if you play to it's treble in the rest of your system. I'd suggest the HeadAmp GS-X MK2 or a similar neutral to bright SS amp with over 5W into a 42 ohm load. There aren't really that many brighter amps at the high-end these days (everyone chasing that tube sound), so it may be hard to do better than the GS-X.

You seem to already be gravitating towards a brighter DAC, so I'd just focus on finding a brighter amp to pair with it. The 1266 TC's slightly V shaped FR should do the rest (Think HE-6 on steroids. All the good, but better, plus mids that are at least great if not world-beating).

Jan 11, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #9,966 of 22,424
Very, very well recorded...

Screenshot_20200111-230414_Roon.jpg

https://tidal.com/track/75502314

Jan 11, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #9,967 of 22,424
I don't know what to recommend necessarily, but for that kind of cheddar it can't be hard to find something.

Sparkly treble -- Stax 009S and top shelf amp?

Jan 11, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #9,971 of 22,424
I have 009s and Kgsshv Carbon.

But it did not have sparky treble but nuanced one.

I would recommend Rasl Sr1a which sound fast and open.
I would argue some might characterize the 009 treble as 'sparkly'. All that extension and air. To each his own of course.

Jan 12, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #9,974 of 22,424
Could agree with Raal for treble, i enjoyed auditioning that one. Unfortunately sounds wrong with any song with a significant grounding in sub bass. Depending on your musical preferences that could be fine though.

Jan 12, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #9,975 of 22,424
If you're top priority is top-end sparkle, I think you need to take a slightly different tack than most people are suggesting. I think the 1266 TC is a solid option for you (I'm someone who enjoys the brightness of the LCD-XC), but only if you play to it's treble in the rest of your system. I'd suggest the HeadAmp GS-X MK2 or a similar neutral to bright SS amp with over 5W into a 42 ohm load. There aren't really that many brighter amps at the high-end these days (everyone chasing that tube sound), so it may be hard to do better than the GS-X.

You seem to already be gravitating towards a brighter DAC, so I'd just focus on finding a brighter amp to pair with it. The 1266 TC's slightly V shaped FR should do the rest (Think HE-6 on steroids. All the good, but better, plus mids that are at least great if not world-beating).

i do care about mids and bass ofc, and want overall good experience as well. so i am thinking Headtrip II or Xi Audio Formula S + their power supply. GS-X MK2 is good but i think the previous options are a bigger upgrade across the spectrum. i know i might get good bright Treble but the bass quality and mids will be not as good as end game system sadly and will make me wanting more.

that being said i can get it as side amp at some time to toy with, and a tube amp too. all mood dependant. thanks for the suggestion ofc.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back