The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #9,782 of 22,424
Here's my config, this gives the best balance of evrything for me :

Thanks much for that!
I've had them spread out wide, but never really played about with the angle of the metal braces. I hope it works for me. Am going to give them a try later tonight.
Cheers dude!

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #9,784 of 22,424
Listening to a few more songs. Thats killed two birds with one stone. Much bigger soundstage and better quality bass. Tight and not boomy.

Very dramatic difference.
Glad it worked out :D.

Now you can begin to discover the magic of the abyss. Enjoy!

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #9,785 of 22,424
Glad it worked out :D.

Now you can begin to discover the magic of the abyss. Enjoy!

Maybe I need some superconductor cables to achieve some of that magic too.. And maybe change out the Wa22 for 33, and try a NOS dac + dedicated streamer.

Oh dear me..

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #9,786 of 22,424
Maybe I need some superconductor cables to achieve some of that magic too.. And maybe change out the Wa22 for 33, and try a NOS dac + dedicated streamer.

Oh dear me..

ROFL.

Every little bit does allow the abyss to extract more. But I'm sure it sounds plenty good already on a wa22 :)

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #9,788 of 22,424
Hi gang, I’m flying back home and am excited to meet my new Abyss headphones. I’ve managed to arrange a custom amp, but am still researching a stand alone dac. Any recommendations for something in the $1,000-$2,000 range that’s strictly brand new would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #9,789 of 22,424
The right fit is subjective of course to the listener, and also the type of music being played. I used to have them at 9 and 3 oclock like the images, but as others have found, with some tracks the bass was boomy to the point of distorting (I listen to a lot of electronica, so this happened frequently). I've since moved the pads to 11 oclock and 1 oclock. The bass did go down but for me, everything else evened out and the mids fleshed out nicely. The bass is a little less, but overall the sound is much more balanced.

Also as noted, headband width and angle also affect the sound. I've found toeing in just slightly makes a big difference vs if the band is straight across.

Jan 3, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #9,790 of 22,424
The right fit is subjective of course to the listener, and also the type of music being played. I used to have them at 9 and 3 oclock like the images, but as others have found, with some tracks the bass was boomy to the point of distorting (I listen to a lot of electronica, so this happened frequently). I've since moved the pads to 11 oclock and 1 oclock. The bass did go down but for me, everything else evened out and the mids fleshed out nicely. The bass is a little less, but overall the sound is much more balanced.

Also as noted, headband width and angle also affect the sound. I've found toeing in just slightly makes a big difference vs if the band is straight across.

As you say that, it reminded me that on the phi cc I had the orientation on 10/11 as well, but with the TC I had to adjsut it as in the photos.

Jan 4, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #9,793 of 22,424
Hi gang, I’m flying back home and am excited to meet my new Abyss headphones. I’ve managed to arrange a custom amp, but am still researching a stand alone dac. Any recommendations for something in the $1,000-$2,000 range that’s strictly brand new would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My general .02 would be to avoid a DAC that is hyper-detailed and/or tending toward cool and clinical. IME that can push the Abyss in the wrong direction and things can sound thin, edgy or bright. This can also be said for your amp.

Synergy is key with the 1266, which is a detail monster and not what I would consider warm.

Jan 4, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #9,795 of 22,424
Anyone here has experience with NOS dacs with the abyss?
Am curious about the NOS sound and am looking at the metrum onyx/pavane, denafrips, and holo spring.
I've not heard any NOS dacs before but I've read the NOS sound is warmer and soundstage is bigger, with better bass extension than OS dacs. Seems like it would add some more goodness to the Abyss?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back