The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #9,752 of 22,482
Do yourself a BIG favor. Don't change servers. Get the Innous Phoenix Reclocker. It is amazing. Makes instruments/music really sound like how they are supposed to sound. I got mine on Saturday. I hooked it up to my son's NUC with LPS and it sounded better than my Antipodes DX without the Phonenix. See if you can demo one. You can use the money from the rack as it's $3150. I say without a doubt you will love it.

Here is some info below:

"The PhoenixUSB Reclocker takes the USB signal from any source and completely regenerates it to an extremely high-precision signal to feed into your DAC, allowing it to perform at its best.

The PhoenixUSB offers in one unit the equivalent of 3 separate components: A USB regenerator, a linear power supply and an external master clock with its own linear power supply.

Innuos applied 3 main design approaches learning from their experience with the Innuos flagship music server, the STATEMENT:

· The USB chip regenerating the signal contains no switching regulators. All 3 independent voltages to the chip originate from an independent linear power supply with further regulation provided by 3 sets of LT3045 regulators.

· The use of a 3ppb OCXO clock running directly at 24MHz and connected via a board track just a couple of inches away from the USB chip. Therefore, no precision is lost within cables and connectors, as is the case when using an external master 10MHz clock with an additional 24MHz clock generator.

· Two independent Statement-level linear power supplies, one dedicated to the OCXO clock and the other used for powering the USB chip/5V USB line."

I will actually be trying one out tomorrow. I don't have any plan of changing my server. I currently use my mac as the roon core and that feeds the Auralic Aries G2 over the network into the Chord TT2. I am also curious about the Auralic master clock / reclocker but that is over $8k

Dec 31, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #9,753 of 22,482
You're trying the Phoenix tomorrow?

Btw, I see you have the Magico S1Mk2. Have you listened to the Wilson Sabrina? They are about the same price.I demoed them a few weeks ago when I bought my amp. They sounded great. Never got the opportunity to listen to any of the Magico speakers.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #9,754 of 22,482
You're trying the Phoenix tomorrow?

Yes I am my friend is an innuos dealer. I am going to try it with the zenith mk3 and my Aurali Aries G2. With a pair of Magico M2, Dave, and D'Agostino amplification. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Dec 31, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #9,755 of 22,482
Yes I am my friend is an innuos dealer. I am going to try it with the zenith mk3 and my Aurali Aries G2. With a pair of Magico M2, Dave, and D'Agostino amplification. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I was wondering because there’s not many out there. They were just released to the states last week, and they were filling the pre-orders first. I happen to find one available. :)

Dec 31, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #9,756 of 22,482
I was wondering because there’s not many out there. They were just released to the states last week, and they were filling the pre-orders first. I happen to find one available. :)

Yeah he ordered on for his store and a buddy also ordered on as soo. As they were announced.only one came in so far. They are really hard to get as of now. This is like the launch of the TT2 in the US earlier this year.

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #9,757 of 22,482
20200101_095556.jpg

My TC just arrived, time to burn it in.

Jan 1, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #9,758 of 22,482
Jan 2, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #9,761 of 22,482
24 hours break in times, the treble still sound harsh but its still a long way to go to 100+ hours and I still playing with the pads and adjusting the frames. This is my first Abyss 1266 I hope I ended up like it.

Jan 2, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #9,762 of 22,482
what thread will you post your impressions? there is a server thread. very curious what you find!

Is there a thread for the Phoenix?

So far I’ve found, and without It fully broken that the sound is very spacious, and the music and notes sound very real and with texture. When you hear a guitar being plucked or a drum being hit, it sounds how you would hear it live. Also detail that might have sounded faint without the Phoenix, now are more prominent. Also nice spacing and instrument placement.

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #9,763 of 22,482
Is there a thread for the Phoenix?

So far I’ve found, and without It fully broken that the sound is very spacious, and the music and notes sound very real and with texture. When you hear a guitar being plucked or a drum being hit, it sounds how you would hear it live. Also detail that might have sounded faint without the Phoenix, now are more prominent. Also nice spacing and instrument placement.

i already have a Zenith mk3 into M-Scaler/TT2. Not sure how much benefit I’d get from the Phoenix for +$3,000 in this setup, but definitely curious.

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #9,764 of 22,482
i already have a Zenith mk3 into M-Scaler/TT2. Not sure how much benefit I’d get from the Phoenix for +$3,000 in this setup, but definitely curious.

I did audition the Aries G2 against a zenith mk3 and found the Aries to be my preference. I found the Aries to be more precise with imaging and sound signature the zenith was a bit softer to me. If I want to I can set the filter to smooth in the Aries and get some of that softness if I want. The build quality though hands down goes to auralic. The G2 series are built like tanks.

I am going to try and get my hands on a Leo GX to test with a Vega G2 if I can. I am interested to see what the Phoenix can do with the Aries though. Maybe next week I will get an in home audition.

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #9,765 of 22,482
What the Phoenix does is different than a component that upsamples, or upgrading a server or DAC. It serves a different purpose. It is basically "fixing" for lack of a better word the signal that is coming out of the server.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back