The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #9,812 of 22,482
The DAC can have a huge impact and can definitely be the deciding factor that can tilt the scales towards "for" or "against". I'm still learning to appreciate this fact.

I'm borrowing a friend's Terminator at the moment, which I'm enjoying a lot, and have found I like it very much with my speaker amp and the TC -- whereas I'm more ambivalent about my speaker amp with the TC with my normal DAC, which is a DAVE.

And conversely, when it comes to my tube amp and the TC, I think I prefer the DAVE over the Terminator.

Jan 4, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #9,813 of 22,482
The DAC can have a huge impact and can definitely be the deciding factor that can tilt the scales towards "for" or "against". I'm still learning to appreciate this fact.

I'm borrowing a friend's Terminator at the moment, which I'm enjoying a lot, and have found I like it very much with my speaker amp and the TC -- whereas I'm more ambivalent about my speaker amp with the TC with my normal DAC, which is a DAVE.

And conversely, when it comes to my tube amp and the TC, I think I prefer the DAVE over the Terminator.
For what reason do you prefer the Dave with your tubes/tc?

Jan 4, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #9,814 of 22,482
For what reason do you prefer the Dave with your tubes/tc?
The Terminator has this really impressive free and relaxed sound. But so does my 300B tube amp. So, as is often the case, combining the two things with similar characteristics can lead to too much of a good thing. Well, I wouldn't say "too much", just that the DAVE's incisive and possibly slightly "leaner" sound (can't lie!) compliments or counter-balances the tube's warmer, fuller sound better. Both sound very nice, though.

Jan 4, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #9,815 of 22,482

The Terminator has this really impressive free and relaxed sound. But so does my 300B tube amp. So, as is often the case, combining the two things with similar characteristics can lead to too much of a good thing. Well, I wouldn't say "too much", just that the DAVE's incisive and possibly slightly "leaner" sound (can't lie!) compliments or counter-balances the tube's warmer, fuller sound better. Both sound very nice, though.

And that’s it in a nut shell. Balancing out.

Jan 5, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #9,817 of 22,482
As I am exploring high power speaker amps for my RAAL SR1a, I found another very good pairing with the Abyss TC: the NAGRA Classic Amp.

20191230_183501-01 (1).jpeg

I still like my AIC-10 best with the TC, due to a lusher sound signature, but the Classic Amp has been a fantastic listening as well.

In this post there are some more details, including some comparisons between the Abyss and the SR1a.

In short, the Abyss TC is still the best all-rounder for me personally, and the headphone I prefer - to date - for musical content where the best possible rendering of the heft, depth and scale of sub-bass energy is called for. However, the SR1a provides - within its sweet spot (to me acoustic music, baroque, solo stringed instruments, vocals) - a very unique listening experience, which makes me very reluctant to let them go :)

Jan 5, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #9,818 of 22,482
As I am exploring high power speaker amps for my RAAL SR1a, I found another very good pairing with the Abyss TC: the NAGRA Classic Amp.

I still like my AIC-10 best with the TC, due to a lusher sound signature, but the Classic Amp has been a fantastic listening as well.

In this post there are some more details, including some comparisons between the Abyss and the SR1a.

In short, the Abyss TC is still the best all-rounder for me personally, and the headphone I prefer - to date - for musical content where the best possible rendering of the heft, depth and scale of sub-bass energy is called for. However, the SR1a provides - within its sweet spot (to me acoustic music, baroque, solo stringed instruments, vocals) - a very unique listening experience, which makes me very reluctant to let them go :)
That is the amp that @Zhanming057 has been using with his Abyss, Raal, and MySphere setup.

Jan 6, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #9,824 of 22,482
with this position, does the back of the cups touch the back of the skull near the ears. Asking cause for me it does, but its comfortable and sounds bloody good.

Never really thought about it, cause like you say its comfortable, ill see when i get home later tonight.

Jan 6, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #9,825 of 22,482
80 plus hours burned in, the high starting to tamed down and overall the sound is more fuller and warmer without losing the transparency and detail retrieval. I don't perceives 1266 TC as a bright HP anymore, I can even starting to listening at higher volume now. Man! I starting to enjoyed this very much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back