The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #9,842 of 22,482
I think I need to steal my wife's mirror so I can see of the headphone is centered each time I put it on. LOL..

If you adjust the width of the headphone correctly, and potentially implement a mod i've posted earlier, you'll never really have to do this.
Every-time i put the headphone on my head now they sit perfectly center with zero effort.

Having a curve in the headband conforms to the shape of your head and it just naturally centers.

Let me see if i can take a picture of what im speaking about.

20200106_191859.jpg

That natural curve makes the weight evenly distributed without the abyss having to "balance" on my head, and also allows a perfect center fit every time. The mod also allows me to have the abyss at the right "height" around my ears. Because if the abyss sits too low, the inside of the earpads jam against the top of my ears and it gets uncomfortable after a while. if it sits too high, the same happens with the bottom of my ear. So i have it dialed where my ears sit more or less center inside of the earpads.

Jan 6, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #9,843 of 22,482
The toughest thing for me was getting the bass equal on both sides. I had to bend the frame on left out and bend in on the right. Before this I was getting all the bass on the right side. Also added a stick on head pad to the stock head band which centered my ears. It also got rid of hot spots from top of my head and temple region. The 1266 is able to glide back and forth just touching the skin so not to much moving around.

So after the replacement, the bass on both sides still remains unequal?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #9,844 of 22,482
Gotcha. I'm sure they will sound better with the new amp. I thought mine sounded good until I got me speaker amp. Huge difference.

Curious what is it or what parameter am I looking for, that makes a speaker amp sound better?

Jan 6, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #9,845 of 22,482
If you adjust the width of the headphone correctly, and potentially implement a mod i've posted earlier, you'll never really have to do this.
Every-time i put the headphone on my head now they sit perfectly center with zero effort.

Having a curve in the headband conforms to the shape of your head and it just naturally centers.

That natural curve makes the weight evenly distributed without the abyss having to "balance" on my head, and also allows a perfect center fit every time. The mod also allows me to have the abyss at the right "height" around my ears. Because if the abyss sits too low, the inside of the earpads jam against the top of my ears and it gets uncomfortable after a while. if it sits too high, the same happens with the bottom of my ear. So i have it dialed where my ears sit more or less center inside of the earpads.

I also don't like it if the abyss sits too low; the earpads press on the top of my ears. Solved it by rotating the stock headband twice so the rubber bands become more taut, and then placing into my head. Works a treat!

Settled with pads at 10 and 2 o'clock, and the metal braces angled forwards slightly (more pressure on back of ear and slight opening in front). Solved the echoey tinniness of the highs/vocals, and although the bass is slightly reduced from the pads at 9 and 3 o'clock, it gave an overall more balanced sound for me.

Jan 6, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #9,847 of 22,482
For me, the presentation sounded flat in comparison. I don’t mean flat as in boring, I mean there was so much more dimension.

With that said, it also depends on the amp.

Oh I meant, what parameter of the amp am I looking for?

Eg I have a Benchmark hpa4, and say I wanted to get a speaker amp, how would I go about choosing the amp?
Based on wattage etc?
For eg amp A and amp B may have same wattage, but cost vastly different.
Or is there some other parameter I should be looking out for?

Jan 6, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #9,848 of 22,482

The natural curve is a great idea as opposed to the balancing act on the head. So does it stay curved as in the picture without your hand on it?

Jan 6, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #9,849 of 22,482
Curious what is it or what parameter am I looking for, that makes a speaker amp sound better?

That I can’t answer for sure except driving the headphones with more power is good. You won’t get as much out of a headphone or speaker with under powering it.

I ended up with the amp I have from seeing other people in this thread with it.

Jan 6, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #9,850 of 22,482
The natural curve is a great idea as opposed to the balancing act on the head. So does it stay curved as in the picture without your hand on it?

I'll take another photo shortly with my hand not on it, but no, the curve is created when the headphone sits.

Jan 6, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #9,851 of 22,482
That I can’t answer for sure except driving the headphones with more power is good. You won’t get as much out of a headphone or speaker with under powering it.

I ended up with the amp I have from seeing other people in this thread with it.

Ah.. yes I do remember seeing some people saying they had the sim audio amp too. I had a look at the price and it is quite an investment. no worries, just curious, because if I did go down that route, there then comes another huge selection and variety of speaker amps to choose from and read up about and ask questions on...
I ended up ordering a GSX mini to try out with the Abyss as I've read it has a warmish sound signature.

Jan 6, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #9,852 of 22,482
Ah.. yes I do remember seeing some people saying they had the sim audio amp too. I had a look at the price and it is quite an investment. no worries, just curious, because if I did go down that route, there then comes another huge selection and variety of speaker amps to choose from and read up about and ask questions on...
I ended up ordering a GSX mini to try out with the Abyss as I've read it has a warmish sound signature.

You can find the V1 for around 4K

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #9,853 of 22,482
the formula s/powerman is the way to go...it was designed with the TC in mind..sounds great

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #9,854 of 22,482
So after the replacement, the bass on both sides still remains unequal?
I am not having the issue as much. The headphones bass is so ridiculous that I get a great center but then I get a lot of bass notes coming out the right side. But it is better hopefully with break in they will loosen up on the left side produce more excursion. I'm comparing the bass between my 1266 and Final audio D8000 pro edition to see how well balanced the 1266 is. The d8000 pro edition has better bass then LCD 4 and not too far behind the 1266.

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #9,855 of 22,482
I am not having the issue as much. The headphones bass is so ridiculous that I get a great center but then I get a lot of bass notes coming out the right side. But it is better hopefully with break in they will loosen up on the left side produce more excursion. I'm comparing the bass between my 1266 and Final audio D8000 pro edition to see how well balanced the 1266 is. The d8000 pro edition has better bass then LCD 4 and not too far behind the 1266.
Don’t take this the wrong way, I’m just brainstorming, but is there a chance you may have some hearing damage in one ear, and that’s what is causing the issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back