The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #7,036 of 22,511
I went back and re-read the review again.

Not sure if your equating "smaller sounding" with "The CC pads give you a holistic view of the performance – a few rows back". And, " You hear the big picture.", I took both of Jay's comments as a good thing. I don't like "in my face" perspectives and in particular with full symphonic music things get muddled up to me. The way I hear the new pads "a few rows back" and "big picture" is the sound stage (and my distance from it) is now larger in all dimensions, placement is a bit more more specific, instrument outlines are sharper and don't overlap as much, the stage now has more breathing room.

I don't find the CC's thin sounding at all, but the tighter control of lower frequencies might give that that impression. If the original pads are warmer and give a sense of "bloom" to the lower frequencies and the CC's don't, tightening up those areas a bit, it's working well for me as my equipment in general including cables have signatures that tend towards the warm side of neutral, so using the same gear with the new pads presents a cleaner (but not antiseptic) sound to my ears allowing for a slightly better reveal.

Just a heads up that my CC update will be live tomorrow on Headphone.Guru in case anyone is interested.... :)

Sep 7, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #7,039 of 22,511
I think you summed it up quite well

Hello Mr. Skubinski,

Reports about the Abyss are excellent and are even getting better with each new version, congratulations!
I sometimes consider purchasing them, but each time the same thing holds me (and maybe likewise for many other potential customers) back from doing so: the headband.
I would appreciate if you would produce another version with an easily adjustable and not big headband ( I mean a " normal" headband, if you allow me to say so), or at least keep us informed, would you start going into this direction.

Keep up with you excellent work and have a nice weekend,
bidn

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #7,041 of 22,511
True that. The construction keeps many customers away for sure.

Initially it did with me as well, but when you get them and get the fit right, they are quite good for long term sessions...and the sound quality is most definitely worth it! Truly the most "speaker-like" presentation I've gotten through a pair of headphones!

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #7,042 of 22,511
I like to lay down with my headphones and it is just hard with the Abyss 1266/ Phi/ CC. The cable hits my shoulder, the head construction hits the bed backrest. The whole thing is just kind of monstrous. Nothing new. The fit is better than expected though.
Not talking about the sound now.

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #7,043 of 22,511
I like to lay down with my headphones and it is just hard with the Abyss 1266/ Phi/ CC. The cable hits my shoulder, the head construction hits the bed backrest. The whole thing is just kind of monstrous. Nothing new. The fit is better than expected though.
Not talking about the sound now.

I use IEMs for that. no headphone can fit right for me that way.

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #7,045 of 22,511
Having been out for over 5 years we sorta heard all this before, moreso in the early days. Should be obvious that traditional headphone design just doesn't do it for us.

In terms of appearance, it is what it is. This is one badass all machined aluminum made in USA headphone.
In terms of functionality, it's way more than you would think. The only way to appreciate the AB-1266 is to spend some quality time with it, all depends on your patience and how far you wish to take it. I'd say given a decent budget, a willingness to listen, and a few months you could potentially align a very good system around it, longer otherwise.

The tens of thousands of 2 channel people I've worked with over the last few decades spent years seeking the sound this headphone offers out the box, and in many cases never reach this level. In other words, IMO this is about as short of a cut as we can offer to world class music playback. So the real question is of trade-offs (as real or as imaginary they may be).
BTW, if more of a curved look is your priority, keep an eye on the Diana ball... smily_abyss1.gif

Abyss-Heapdhones-AB-1266-Carbon-04694.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Sep 7, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #7,046 of 22,511
I use IEMs for that. no headphone can fit right for me that way.

I don't care for IEM's but even with my Utopia or HD800, if I lien my head back into something soft it pushes on the back of the ear cups and moves them out of position so ...

Sep 7, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #7,050 of 22,511
I often say, high-end is not fast food so it should not be consumed that way. If someone lives their life eating fast food hamburgers, their first taste in a high-end, freshly-made burger may taste bland but when their palet adjusts, they could appreciate the true flavors. Take your time, learn the product and carefully listen. You'll be rewarded....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back