The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #7,051 of 22,596
Hello Mr. Skubinski

Reports about the Abyss are excellent and are even getting better with each new version, congratulations!
I sometimes consider purchasing them, but each time the same thing holds me (and maybe likewise for many other potential customers) back from doing so: the headband.
I would appreciate if you would produce another version with an easily adjustable and not big headband ( I mean a " normal" headband, if you allow me to say so), or at least keep us informed, would you start going into this direction.

Keep up with you excellent work and have a nice weekend,
bidn

Have you had a listen to them?

"Normal" headbands use pressure against your head to hold the headphones in place.

Put the phi on your head and it sounds amazing - get your fingers and press the drivers hard against your head with normal headphone clamping pressure, and bass and soundstage (and overall sound quality really) drop off significantly. If you had tried them, you would understand why the design can never change to a spring loaded headband.

I think 99% of people looking to run one of the world's best headphone systems, are only going to use them in the privacy of their own home anyway, so for most consumers at this end of the market, sound is more important than form factor. Everyone (you and I included) says the same thing about the design until they spend some time with them.

If form factor is important, then you can't go past the Diana - extremely subtle looking to wear, and a sound that rivals all the other flagships several times their size. If the ultimate in sound reproduction is the end goal, then the 1266 is it.

IF I'm wrong (unlikely :p) and JPS labs do come up with a game changing headband idea, I'm sure it will be offered as an update to existing owners - just like the driver upgrade program and the ability to buy new phi cc pads. The drivers are attached to the headband with 3 screws each side. So if a new headband design came along one day, I think you'd be able to buy it and easily swap it over. But I think that is a probably a bit of a pipe dream...

They do look to have always kept the current owners in mind when doing any updates though.

Sep 7, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #7,052 of 22,596
^ I think the concern is over fit, not appearance. I remember fiddling with the original AB-1266 trying to get a good fit, will be interesting to spend more time with the Phi CC.

Sep 7, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #7,053 of 22,596
Given that head shapes and sizes vary getting a good fit is a matter of patience and following the suggestions of others including the abyss video. And it may not work for everyone.

Of all my phones the HD600 is the least comfortable because of clamping pressure, The PM-1 is average, the Utopia is third because of weight and the narrow headband. But the Phi and HD800 are pretty much as good as it gets even though the the Senn is significantly lighter than the Abyss. In my case the wide leather headband really disperses the downward weight nicely. Different head shapes could respond differently.

My go around with the original 1266 in 11/16 had me doing everything wrong. In 11/17 with the Phi (No difference really from the shape or weight compared to the original) I paid attention to the video and input from other posters on how to fit it properly (it clamps more lightly than other phones I'm familiar with to get the best bass response). It was a 180 degree turn around in both sound and comfort. How much was the Phi driver and understanding how to get a good fit? Probably 50/50.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #7,055 of 22,596
moon audio cables are far more comfortable to use and quite good in terms of sound IMHO although I constantly go back in forth between thinking i hear differences and thinking all cables of decent quality sound pretty much the same

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #7,056 of 22,596
Hi everyone I have a serious question. Is it possible to have a cable under $500 sounds similar or maybe even better than stock cable? The stock cable is just too thick and long......

I've been very pleased with the several cables I've ordered from Norne Audio, HD800, LCD-3, and an incoming one for my Abyss. Great sound and construction at very reasonable prices.

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #7,057 of 22,596
Hi everyone I have a serious question. Is it possible to have a cable under $500 sounds similar or maybe even better than stock cable? The stock cable is just too thick and long......

I can't speak for the Abyss cable, but Norne Audio is excellent. The Solvine comes at well under that price. The Cardas Clear is just over $500, and I would think any Cardas Clear product is amazing.

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #7,059 of 22,596
I can't speak for the Abyss cable, but Norne Audio is excellent. The Solvine comes at well under that price. The Cardas Clear is just over $500, and I would think any Cardas Clear product is amazing.
I had one for LCD and Aeon, yes they are great, all my interconnect and power cables are cardas, but if I’m going to spend that much, I may just go for Dana.

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #7,060 of 22,596
The Lazuli Reference cable definitely has its own 'point of view', and may not be for everyone. There have been a few impressions on this thread. My comments here. In the end, I opted to stay with teh stock (although I really think it its qualities might be perfect for the Utopia...).

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #7,061 of 22,596
I think the Abyss headband design is very comfortable, more so with the CC pads and it total makes sense to have it designed like that but i do question the amount of adjustment there is in the width on the frame.

I bet there are a lot more people that are having to bend the frame out than bend it in, ( has anyone needed to bend the frame in ? )

Are people preferring to have a tighter seal now with the CC pads compared to the original or just having too because of a lack of adjustment ?

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #7,062 of 22,596
I have a big head and I need to bend the frame but cant tell if more would be better, because more bending is not possible. Reading and writing this, I doubt that this is the best solution possible, especially at this price tag. But who am I.

Sep 8, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #7,064 of 22,596
Me too, with the CC's and the originals I need to fully extend the headband arms. The CC seems to compress a little better thanks I guess to the vent holes around the outside. But I have no excess length to play with as far as lightening up the clamping force from what it is to see what affect that produces, even though it sounds fine as is. If the CC V2 pads are thicker :wink: I'll have to pass on them.

Sep 8, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #7,065 of 22,596
Time for me to call The Cable Company today and borrow the Abyss Phi CC and spend some quality time with them paired with the WA33.
I had borrowed the 'original' +/- a couple of years ago, but really can't recall their sound, but I do remember liking their adjustability very much and I had no issues with their comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back