The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #7,006 of 22,596
Thanks man. I won't venture down the Stax route. I'll instesd put my pennies behind my existing rig. And if I get the chance to demo the staxx of course I will.

I strongly suggest you give a Stax rig a good listen...they are fantastic when setup right. That said, I'm quite happy with my setup now.

Aug 27, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #7,007 of 22,596
I strongly suggest you give a Stax rig a good listen...they are fantastic when setup right. That said, I'm quite happy with my setup now.

O for sure, if I have the opportunity. What I'm not doing is shelling out for a good staxx rig blind. Prefer to hear it first.

Aug 27, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #7,009 of 22,596
O for sure, if I have the opportunity. What I'm not doing is shelling out for a good staxx rig blind. Prefer to hear it first.

Agree, but the Stax sound may not be for everyone...

Aug 27, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #7,010 of 22,596
Abyss Sound Quality: 9.6
Abyss Phi Sound Quality: 9.9
Abyss Phi CC Sound Quality: 10.4

So, it looks to me that you are saying that the new pads (cc) are a greater sound improvement than the new Phi driver was. Is that correct?

I know that's how the numbers turned out (keeping in mind that my CC numbers are still early, have not put it through my full suit of tests yet), but i dont think your statement is accurate. I can see how it looks that way just by looking at the numbers. But what your statement would imply is that if you take the CC pads and put it on the OG Abyss that you'll get a bigger jump in SQ than going to the Phi drivers. And i'm guessing you looked at the Phi upgrade price of $1500 and the earpad price of $350 and determined that the earpads are a cheaper upgrade for more sq increase. But from what i've heard, i dont think putting the earpads on the original abyss would have the same effect. That's something someone will have to test. It may very well make the original abyss sound worse by highlighting the flaws even more, the flaws that the phi drivers fixed to my ears. What the pads did ontop of the Phi is just added "more phi", refined and polished what was already there, bringing the cans up to just an unbelievably good level. And if i apply the same change to the original abyss, i.e. "more OG" , i think i'd prefer the base Phi to that.

It's something worth exploring though, if anyone still has an original on hand to slap on the new pads and compare to phi padded, that would be great.
Maybe @Joe Skubinski can shed some thoughts on this as well?

:)

Agree, but the Stax sound may not be for everyone...

Yea, and from what i've been reading it may not be for me, but i wont just dismiss it either, if i get the chance to audition any headphone i'll take it :D.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #7,011 of 22,596
I think you summed it up quite well
smiley_abyss1.png

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Aug 29, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #7,013 of 22,596
Just received my Abyss phi cc several hours ago. I’ve been burning them in for about four hours.

Initial impressions:

1. Excellent soundstage- wide and somewhat speaker like; not as deep as my LCD-4- but much more speaker-like.
2. Full and smooth sounding contrary to many reports I read that they are a bit sharp. They sound NOTHING like a HD800 except the soundstage contrary to all I have read.
3. Surprisingly comfortable.
4. Contrary to the reports I have read- these are NOWHERE as fast as a STAX. I have no idea where these reports came from.
5. The most common comment on these is how hard hitting they are. They certainly seem punchy- but not necessarily more than other reference headphones.
6. Definitely sound at this early stage as a candidate for best non-electrostatic headphone I have ever heard. Definitely do not have the speed, detail, and clarity of SR-007 or SR-009; not even close. But reference level in these areas for a planner with the obvious advantages over STAX of more depth, weight, and bass. More three dimensional than STAX also.
7. Excellent frequency balance. No equalizing needed...

How many hours do these need to break in to full potential????

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #7,014 of 22,596
What amp are you using for the Phi? I know this has been talked about repeatedly on this thread, but I would be interested in hearing what amplification folks are using and recommendations. I am currently using the Rogue headphone amp. My guess is there is better out there.
Thanks!

Aug 29, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #7,015 of 22,596
Just received my Abyss phi cc several hours ago. I’ve been burning them in for about four hours.

Initial impressions:

1. Excellent soundstage- wide and somewhat speaker like; not as deep as my LCD-4- but much more speaker-like.
2. Full and smooth sounding contrary to many reports I read that they are a bit sharp. They sound NOTHING like a HD800 except the soundstage contrary to all I have read.
3. Surprisingly comfortable.
4. Contrary to the reports I have read- these are NOWHERE as fast as a STAX. I have no idea where these reports came from.
5. The most common comment on these is how hard hitting they are. They certainly seem punchy- but not necessarily more than other reference headphones.
6. Definitely sound at this early stage as a candidate for best non-electrostatic headphone I have ever heard. Definitely do not have the speed, detail, and clarity of SR-007 or SR-009; not even close. But reference level in these areas for a planner with the obvious advantages over STAX of more depth, weight, and bass. More three dimensional than STAX also.
7. Excellent frequency balance. No equalizing needed...

How many hours do these need to break in to full potential????

How do you feel the midrange/vocals on the Abyss are compared to those headphones? Do they feel a little recessed?

Aug 29, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #7,016 of 22,596
1. I've been running my new Phi CC for 15 days now, 24x7, and yesterday they seemed to change and offer more depth. However, I put a new amp in at the exact same time so it could have been the amp/tubes burning in also.
5. I wonder if this is an amp issue on your side? These sound so big and dynamic and hit so hard in my rig that they do not even sound like headphones.

I'm using an Allnic HPA-3000 GT amp. It is a perfect match. The volume control lies between 11 and 12 o'clock for my listening. 3 watts of power on the 50 ohm tap.

Aug 29, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #7,017 of 22,596
How do you feel the midrange/vocals on the Abyss are compared to those headphones? Do they feel a little recessed?

Midrange is fine. Does not sound recessed by much to my ears- just not as full as the LCD. I like it better...- more real to life.

I believe I spoke to quickly in my last post. I just burnt in another two hours- and the improvement is substantial. Much faster response, better definition. Still not STAX speed but improving quickly. Much punchier as well.

I think I need to give them 100 hours before commenting again. My initial impressions were just that- initial.... and not at all final.

By the way I have a augio-gd HE-9 amplifier...

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #7,019 of 22,596
the violectric 281 is quite good

Aug 29, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #7,020 of 22,596
What amp are you using for the Phi? I know this has been talked about repeatedly on this thread, but I would be interested in hearing what amplification folks are using and recommendations. I am currently using the Rogue headphone amp. My guess is there is better out there.
Thanks!

I auditioned the Questyle Golden Reference Stack and the Eleven XI Audio Formula S with Powerman. Both were a big step up from my Sennheiser HDVD800. The Eleven XI Audio system was a bit warmer, and with the Powerman faster as well. I ended up getting the Eleven XI Audio system. Great synergy with the Abyss, perhaps unsurprising as it apparently was designed for this headphone.

I toyed with the idea of a tube amp, e.g., WA33, but there are no accessible dealers here. I would still love to try one day.

Next step is a DAC! I have been using the DAC on the Sennheiser so far. I am currently auditioning a Linn Klimax DSM streamer, reputed to have a top quality DAC. Sounds great, but I am not really interested in the streaming functionality or any of the other bells and whistles - would rather spend the money on a straight DAC. I will look at the Chord Dave next. Does anybody have other recommendations?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back