The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #1,231 of 22,409

Hello SCOLAIW

In your outstanding AB 1266 review, you state that "an end-game SR-009 setup is still (in my opinion) easily better than an end-game Abyss/HD 800 setup". But I can't find a mention of the amp used to power the SR -009: standard Stax amps (SRM-727, SRM-007tII...) of the famous -and far more expensive- Headamp BHSE (~6000 posts in Head-fi at this time)

Sorry for my delayed reaction to your review!

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #1,232 of 22,409
  Hello SCOLAIW

In your outstanding AB 1266 review, you state that "an end-game SR-009 setup is still (in my opinion) easily better than an end-game Abyss/HD 800 setup". But I can't find a mention of the amp used to power the SR -009: standard Stax amps (SRM-727, SRM-007tII...) of the famous -and far more expensive- Headamp BHSE (~6000 posts in Head-fi at this time)

"End-game SR-009 setup" implies one of the TOTL amps, so there ya go. It's all about personal preference, though. I've read a ton of reviews for both models, and out of those who have owned both, the preference is split down the middle. I'm getting the Abyss first because it's more versatile: it's a better all-rounder for different genres, has much better bass and impact, can be used with portable setups and more types of amplifiers, etc. It seems to me that the more refined sound signature of the SR-009/SR-007 complements the Abyss.

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #1,233 of 22,409
Always gets me why the AB-1266 and SR-009 get compared to the HD800.  Shouldn't the Abyss and Stax be WAY better?  Why would you buy a $6k headphone when you could get a $1500 headphone which is apparently comparable.  I can't comment because I haven't heard the HD800 but it's now definitely on my list to audition when I get the chance given the league they are apparently in. Or is it just because they're a popular can and a convenient reference point?  Surely they're not in the same league... Are they?

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #1,234 of 22,409
  Always gets me why the AB-1266 and SR-009 get compared to the HD800.  Shouldn't the Abyss and Stax be WAY better?  Why would you buy a $6k headphone when you could get a $1500 headphone which is apparently comparable.  I can't comment because I haven't heard the HD800 but it's now definitely on my list to audition when I get the chance given the league they are apparently in. Or is it just because they're a popular can and a convenient reference point?  Surely they're not in the same league... Are they?

Each of those three models excel at different things. It's just that the more expensive two are generally perceived as sounding better overall. If I got just one headphone along with the AB-1266, it would be the HD 800, due to its comfort, excellent detail retrieval, availability of cable/mod upgrades, and many other factors. From all I have heard, it's one of the best-value flagship headphones available. The entire purpose of collecting headphones is to have a variety of sound signatures at your beck and call. No headphone is superior to all others in every way.

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #1,235 of 22,409

And I can´t figure out how people who actually listens to and enjoy music like HD800 :wink: 
I´v listened to HD800 in many different setups and I have really tried to like them because I´v heard so much good about them.
But they are cold and analytcal to my ears. Not very musical. AB-1266 on the other hand, is VERY musical. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #1,236 of 22,409
  And I can´t figure out how people who actually listens to and enjoy music like HD800 :wink: 
I´v listened to HD800 in many different setups and I have really tried to like them because I´v heard so much good about them.
But they are cold and analytcal to my ears. Not very musical. AB-1266 on the other hand, is VERY musical. 

The most important thing to know about the HD 800 is how different it sounds from different amps. Yes, it's very analytical, but paired with something like a HeadAmp GS-X mk2, it really sings, from what I've heard.

By the way, once I get the Abyss, I'm getting this cable too. It's supposed to make it sound even better!

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #1,237 of 22,409

I hope they are in the same leauge because i can only afford the HD800 lol

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #1,238 of 22,409

Some people consider them to be in the same league; others insist it's a night and day difference, calling the HD 800 a children's toy and the like. To be safe, I'm taking the middle ground: they're both great headphones that do different things.

I hope it's okay for me to paste one quote from a review that compared them.

These futuristic looking German masterpieces are widely regarded as THE BEST dynamic headphones in the world. The HD800 has all the attributes of a top-of-the-line product. They are hands down the most comfortable headphones that I have ever used. The HD800's frequency response is as flat as it can get. Some have complained that it is too bright and causes fatigue after a short period of listening, although I never had that problem.
  The difference in the bass response between the HD800 and the AB-1266 was huge. Switching from the Abyss to the HD800, I had the sense that someone had muted the bass. I knew this couldn't have been true because I had enjoyed listening to the HD800 for months and never had an issue with its bass response before. However, relative to the AB-1266, the bass was practically non-existent on the HD800.

The HD800 is very revealing and neutral. Whilst these are cherished qualities for studio monitors, they do not make the music listening experience too enjoyable. This was most obvious when I compared it to the Abyss. The HD800 sounded harsh, metallic and overly bright by comparison. The vocals also seemed more grainy and too forward. I was astounded by this revelation.

I was also surprised that the Abyss had deeper and wider sound stage than the HD800 (which is generally regarded as the King of sound stage)! I couldn't believe it and took a lot of time to confirm that it was not my imagination. I would probably still prefer the HD800 for critical monitoring purposes when I want to hear the smallest flaws in a recording, but for listening to music in general, I'll definitely go for the Abyss.

Aug 1, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #1,239 of 22,409
Hello SCOLAIW

Hi Phil,

To clarify, the TOTL amps that I have used with the SR-009 are the BHSE and WOO WES primarily. I did try either the SRM-727 or SRM-007tll when I was in Japan (I don't remember which) but it was not in an ideal listening environment and it wasn't for nearly enough time. 

Quote:

Yeah, this is an odd one to answer. Many people tend to assume that a $6000 pair of headphones must be better than a $1500 pair of headphones, but I don't think that's necessarily the case. It's more that the HD800 offers much better value for money. Just like a pair of Grado SR60s at $100 might sound just as good (not really) or better (definitely) than say a $400 pair of Beats.   

The problem as many people have mentioned is that the HD800 is so revealing that it really needs to pair with a nice sounding amping and often people are put off when they audition the HD800 due to poor amp choice. That is not to say that the HD800 is a better pair of headphones than the aforementioned SR-009 and Abyss, but I would definitely say it's in the same league.

I hope it's okay for me to paste one quote from a review that compared them.

"The difference in the bass response between the HD800 and the AB-1266 was huge. Switching from the Abyss to the HD800, I had the sense that someone had muted the bass. I knew this couldn't have been true because I had enjoyed listening to the HD800 for months and never had an issue with its bass response before. However, relative to the AB-1266, the bass was practically non-existent on the HD800."

I feel I must say something here. One of the very oft quoted pros of the Abyss is its amazing bass. Much like the LCD 2/3/Xs people often say that the bass is "better". I totally agree; however, it should be noted that the HD800 is NOT lacking bass at all. In fact, it is my honest opinion that the HD800 offers the most accurate presentation of bass and delivers the correct amount of bass. It offers bass exactly as it is on the recording. The reason the Abyss has better bass is partly because there is MORE bass (which to most ears is a good thing and I do enjoy more bass) and furthermore, the bass presentation is more more dynamic and fluid.

So the real question is can you truly have too much of a good thing? 

Aug 1, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #1,240 of 22,409
  The problem as many people have mentioned is that the HD800 is so revealing that it really needs to pair with a nice sounding amping and often people are put off when they audition the HD800 due to poor amp choice. That is not to say that the HD800 is a better pair of headphones than the aforementioned SR-009 and Abyss, but I would definitely say it's in the same league.

I feel I must say something here. One of the very oft quoted pros of the Abyss is its amazing bass. Much like the LCD 2/3/Xs people often say that the bass is "better". I totally agree; however, it should be noted that the HD800 is NOT lacking bass at all. In fact, it is my honest opinion that the HD800 offers the most accurate presentation of bass and delivers the correct amount of bass. It offers bass exactly as it is on the recording. The reason the Abyss has better bass is partly because there is MORE bass (which to most ears is a good thing and I do enjoy more bass) and furthermore, the bass presentation is more more dynamic and fluid.

So the real question is can you truly have too much of a good thing? 

Hiya! I always liked your avatar. Did you make it yourself? :)

Neutrality and accuracy are the primary reasons I would get the HD 800 even if I had the Abyss. I've seen plenty of positive impressions about the HD 800's bass, with certain setups.

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #1,241 of 22,409

Hiya! I always liked your avatar. Did you make it yourself? :)

Neutrality and accuracy are the primary reasons I would get the HD 800 even if I had the Abyss. I've seen plenty of positive impressions about the HD 800's bass, with certain setups.

Haha, and I do like yours also! Although I have to admit the actual character I borrowed from an image someone posted on head-fi once and then I photoshopped in the background because the original was too bland. 

And indeed, the HD 800's bass is actually truly amazing with the right setups and so to answer my own question, I do believe that you can sometimes have too much of a good thing. This is why I ultimately settled down with with the HD 800 because I don't believe there is another headphone as neutral or accurate overall as the HD 800.

Comparing headphones is like comparing tvs or monitors. Some offer larger screens, some offer higher resolution and some offer both. Some might have a low refresh rate whilst some might offer lightning fast 200Hz refresh rates. Some might boast the most accurate colours whilst others might offer even more vibrant colours than real life! The only exception is the HD 800. The HD 800 is not like any tv at all. It is instead a window.

An impossibly clear window to all your music.  

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #1,242 of 22,409
  Haha, and I do like yours also! Although I have to admit the actual character I borrowed from an image someone posted on head-fi once and then I photoshopped in the background because the original was too bland. 

And indeed, the HD 800's bass is actually truly amazing with the right setups and so to answer my own question, I do believe that you can sometimes have too much of a good thing. This is why I ultimately settled down with with the HD 800 because I don't believe there is another headphone as neutral or accurate overall as the HD 800.

Comparing headphones is like comparing tvs or monitors. Some offer larger screens, some offer higher resolution and some offer both. Some might have a low refresh rate whilst some might offer lightning fast 200Hz refresh rates. Some might boast the most accurate colours whilst others might offer even more vibrant colours than real life! The only exception is the HD 800. The HD 800 is not like any tv at all. It is instead a window.

An impossibly clear window to all your music.  

beerchug.gif
It's Tenma from School Rumble.

Nice write-up! What are the best-sounding amps you've heard the HD 800 with so far? I've heard especially impressive things about pairing it with the HeadAmp GS-X mk2 and, on the crazier end of the spectrum, the Woo Audio WA234 MONO.

Once I get the HD 800, I actually want to get two of them - one standard issue, the other with this and this, to compare how different they sound.
cool.gif

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #1,243 of 22,409
beerchug.gif
It's Tenma from School Rumble.

Nice write-up! What are the best-sounding amps you've heard the HD 800 with so far? I've heard especially impressive things about pairing it with the HeadAmp GS-X mk2 and, on the crazier end of the spectrum, the Woo Audio WA234 MONO.

Once I get the HD 800, I actually want to get two of them - one standard issue, the other with this and this, to compare how different they sound.
cool.gif

Hahahaha, you're definitely dreaming very big! Do let me know if you do hear a difference!

Anyway in terms of best sounding amps for the HD 800.... I've yet to hear the WA234 (although I think it's quite ridiculous if used purely for headphones) so I won't even go there. I've found all my favoured amps with the HD 800 to have been tube amps. The WA22 for example was a nice accessible pairing. Having said that, my favourite pairing ever was the Manley Neo:Classic 300B preamp/headphone amp. Lush, romantic, beautiful + Grieg piano concerto. If only I had the money to purchase it when I listened to them, I would have. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #1,244 of 22,409
  Hahahaha, you're definitely dreaming very big! Do let me know if you do hear a difference!

Anyway in terms of best sounding amps for the HD 800.... I've yet to hear the WA234 (although I think it's quite ridiculous if used purely for headphones) so I won't even go there. I've found all my favoured amps with the HD 800 to have been tube amps. The WA22 for example was a nice accessible pairing. Having said that, my favourite pairing ever was the Manley Neo:Classic 300B preamp/headphone amp. Lush, romantic, beautiful + Grieg piano concerto. If only I had the money to purchase it when I listened to them, I would have. 

Yeah, high-end amps are all kind of overkill, but if it ends up sounding significantly better than others, it could still be worth it for me.

How have I never heard of the last amp you mentioned?! Seems very nice, judging from their website.

Any comments on so many people not liking the HD 800 due to it sounding cold, analytical, metallic, harsh, etc. to them? It seems a common solution is to use a tube amp instead of a solid state one, but the Sennheiser HDVD 800 is also said to sound good with them, so I don't know all the factors that account for all the varying impressions.

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #1,245 of 22,409

Yeah, high-end amps are all kind of overkill, but if it ends up sounding significantly better than others, it could still be worth it for me.

How have I never heard of the last amp you mentioned?! Seems very nice, judging from their website.

Any comments on so many people not liking the HD 800 due to it sounding cold, analytical, metallic, harsh, etc. to them? It seems a common solution is to use a tube amp instead of a solid state one, but the Sennheiser HDVD 800 is also said to sound good with them, so I don't know all the factors that account for all the varying impressions.

Yeah, I hadn't heard of it either before when I first listened to it. But I won't forget it anytime soon that's for sure.

And I don't think it's necessarily a solution. It just seems like the HD 800 sounds better with more tube amps. I am sure there are plenty of SS amps that sound great and many tube amps that sound horrendous with the HD 800. Also bear in mind the HDVD 800 was tuned by Sennheiser engineers primarily to amp the HD 800 so of course it should sound good paired together.
Anyway, given this is the Abyss appreciation thread, feel free to continue this conversation with me via pm or in the HD 800 thread. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back