The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #1,261 of 22,450
I've said many times ( some will think too many ) that when I go for headphones and also amp and source, I don't just go for SQ but looks as well.
I was never happy with how the 009's looked with it's original headband which is why I did something about it.
Now I'm not going to knock the Abyss's looks anymore but let's assume we were all given $250,000 or £150,000 but we could only spend it on one of two new vehicles, either a Ferrari California of a Tractor. Farmers not included, hands up how many would be going for a tractor.

I saw your custom SR-009 headband! I always thought the stock headband made it look like a penguin wearing a tuxedo, and much sillier when sticking out above your head.

Personally, I think both headphones look really cool in their own way. I wouldn't wear either in public, though.

Speaking of supercars and tractors, Lamborghini actually started out making those.
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #1,262 of 22,450
About the Stax 009 needing 5kUSD amp to sound right, it's typically not first hand experience comments. What I mean by this, is that people assume de facto that a 5kUSD woo amp is miles better than a Stax srm323s or 727 when driving sr009, and that's not necessarily true.

For some reason, it happens to be that the 009 does not suck at all with the 727 Stax amp for instance ime, even comparing against a properly tubed Electra for example. It's definitely perfectible, but that special quality of the sr009 to be a chameleon when it comes to showing you the recording in all it's glory details is certainly much better than anything else I've ever hear.

IMO, not all 5kUSD 3rd party stat amps are worth anywhere near what they cost, regardless of blanket statements you might read around...

Having said that, if you could not be bothered with dedicated amp or having a preference for the beefier / more meaty sound of some planar phones, that stats probably aren't for you.

Arnaud

In Europe, for 3000 Euros, you can have a very good amp to operate very correctly the very easy to drive headphones Stax SR-009: either the amplifier Stax SRM 727, or, even better, after the firsts listening, the AudioValve combo (RKV-II + Verto box) (for the same price in Europe than the SRM 727).

In addition, for the latter set (combo RKV-Verto), you can for 0 Euros extra, to work very properly an orthodynamic headphone (planar) of low sensitivity and low impedance as the Abyss.
Will still remain to spend 6000 Euros to buy the Abyss (which is not given
wink.gif
).

Eric

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #1,264 of 22,450
  Thank you for sharing your knowledge on Lamborghini starting out making tractors, I didn't know that.
But I don't think Lamborghini would've been as successful if they'd designed their super cars to look like a tractor.

From this...

...to this...

(This is the Lamborghini Egoista. Only one was ever made, and among other things, it uses jet fuel!)

The SR-009 definitely exudes luxury; the Abyss has a more rebellious look with less mass appeal.

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #1,266 of 22,450
  That tractor looks beautiful. I think I might just end up getting an Abyss. Just Kidding.

Want to know the most amusing thing about you popping in at this time?

Before you did, I was taking a walk and randomly thought of your post about using your BHSE to somehow drive Apple earbuds and being surprised at how good they sounded...or something like that.

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #1,267 of 22,450

That tractor looks beautiful. I think I might just end up getting an Abyss. Just Kidding.

Want to know the most amusing thing about you popping in at this time?

Before you did, I was taking a walk and randomly thought of your post about using your BHSE to somehow drive Apple earbuds and being surprised at how good they sounded...or something like that.

Please show me that post I've supposed to have written.
I did write one where I used the apple earbuds with my Pico Slim.

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #1,269 of 22,450

Please show me that post I've supposed to have written.

Come to think of it, it could have been a post by another BHSE owner. I should have given it more thought, because I can't find the post now...

You won't find a post written by me about using my BHSE with apple earbuds because I never wrote one.
I did write one saying the earbuds sounded very good while using my Pico Slim which they did, but my Pico Slim was connected to my K-01.

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #1,270 of 22,450
You won't find a post written by me about using my BHSE with apple earbuds because I never wrote one.
I did write one saying the earbuds sounded very good while using my Pico Slim which they did, but my Pico Slim was connected to my K-01.

It must have been someone else, because I just found that post of yours.

Anyway, I apologize for allowing this thread to become so derailed with my random musings.

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #1,272 of 22,450
  I shouldn't be knocking the Abyss's looks, [ again ] it's just that for what the Abyss costs it should be perfect in every way.

How would you change their looks? If you altered them too much, they would lose their uniqueness and look like the average headphone.

A crucial thing to consider is that every aspect of the design was intentional, in order to enhance the sound quality, ease of use, etc.

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #1,273 of 22,450
  How would you change their looks? If you altered them too much, they would lose their uniqueness and look like the average headphone.

A crucial thing to consider is that every aspect of the design was intentional, in order to enhance the sound quality, ease of use, etc.

I've said before, do one that looks like a HE-90.
Regarding it's ease of use, I wouldn't know because I've never touch or even seen one apart from photos, but my friend has and has also tried them and he told me they were very awkward to get a perfect fit.
Also about the possibility of changing it's SQ, I was told this about my 009's before I did the new headband, I was told the 009's headband was designed that way for a reason and in changing it would alter it's SQ, well I have and the SQ hasn't changed.

Now I think I should shop writing on this thread because otherwise I can see me getting banned, unless someone is already in the process of doing that.

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #1,274 of 22,450
  I've said before, do one that looks like a HE-90.
Regarding it's ease of use, I wouldn't know because I've never touch or even seen one apart from photos, but my friend has and has also tried them and he told me they were very awkward to get a perfect fit.
Also about the possibility of changing it's SQ, I was told this about my 009's before I did the new headband, I was told the 009's headband was designed that way for a reason and in changing it would alter it's SQ, well I have and the SQ hasn't changed.

Now I think I should shop writing on this thread because otherwise I can see me getting banned, unless someone is already in the process of doing that.

I actually had a dream last night about buying the HE 90 for $200...whereas in real life, the Orpheus system can be listed on eBay for upwards of $30K. I like the way it looks, but the Abyss is a unique headphone. I for one appreciate the risk they took in designing something so different.

The Abyss headband is rigid to address the issue of vibration control and so on. I haven't heard anything about how the SR-009 headband affects its sound.

I don't think you've said anything wrong. Just discussing your own findings. It's difficult for any given thread to stay totally focused on its original topic.

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #1,275 of 22,450
  I actually had a dream last night about buying the HE 90 for $200...whereas in real life, the Orpheus system can be listed on eBay for upwards of $30K. I like the way it looks, but the Abyss is a unique headphone. I for one appreciate the risk they took in designing something so different.

The Abyss headband is rigid to address the issue of vibration control and so on. I haven't heard anything about how the SR-009 headband affects its sound.

I don't think you've said anything wrong. Just discussing your own findings. It's difficult for any given thread to stay totally focused on its original topic.

I may come across that I'm a fanboy of the 009's, and that when someone says a different headphone sounds better, then it annoys me, that's not the case.
If the Abyss does sound better than the 009's then that's all good with me.
I do very much like my 009's but I've also got the LCD-XC's and HD-600's which I also use, not as much as the 009's but I still use them.
Ironically since selling the GS-Xmk2 I once had, I use both the LCD-XC and HD-600 with my Pico Slim, again connected to the K-01.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back