The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 3, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #1,291 of 22,449
lol, I have listened to my Abyss and HD800 through many amps. Among them are Eddie Current Balancing Act, Eddie Current 2A3MKIV, GSX-MKII, DNA stratus, Susy Dynahi, Auralic Taurus MKII, Audio-gd master 9. I have to say in terms of scalability, HD800 really destroys Abyss in every way. Abyss is not like the phone that requires absolutely best amp to sound its best. However, with the right amp, like Eddie Current Balancing Act and 2A3MKIV, HD800 is truly a pair of remarkable headphones. It does not have the feeling of strength that Abyss provides, but it has the best imaging and precision among all the headphones I have or owned. 

Regarding to the amping choice of HD800 and Abyss, my favorite is Eddie Current 2A3MKIV and balancing act. And I do not think GSX-MKII is a good choice for HD800 or Abyss. And I think even the balanced Dynahi is far better than GSX-MKII. I just had a private meet with one of my old friend who owned both GSX-MKII and Dynahi. I agreed that I was blown away by GSX-MKII when I first heard it, but then, I found Susy Dynahi is way better than GSX-MKII, but I have to say I did not give enough audition time for Dynahi, so I might be wrong. But when it comes to my Eddie Current 2A3MKIV and ECBA, man, there is no contest. 2A3MKIV and ECBA easily win. GSX-MKII is a remarkable amp for LCD's or TH900, but it just not good when paired with Abyss and HD800.

This is just my 2 cents, and I would like to say there is really hard to tell which one is absolutely the best when you are comparing those TOTL headphones. Just pick the one you like, and there is no point to defend them or attack them I think, especially when you are not even considering buying one. I also think HD650 is absolutely one of the best headphone I have ever owned. I like HD650 even more than LCD-2 and LCD-X. 

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #1,292 of 22,449
they're not stylish but the looks wouldn't put me off owning a pair. but the price definitely does. i've also got concerns about their long term wearability.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #1,293 of 22,449

Yeah, look, I don't know many people that will defend the looks of them.  But once you're listening to them in the comfort of your own home, you may not care what you look like.  I'm going to tell myself that they're metal, and that's cool.  

That's true, I've heard that as well.  Maybe I should be looking at the 007 instead.

Worry not, my comrade - I shall defend them to the death!
tongue.gif

I think the Abyss looks especially cool from a side angle. That foamed aluminum is godlike.

Check out the gnarly prototype:

All these headphones sound different, so I might as well collect 'em once I have the chance.

Putting lipstick on a pig, doesn't mean I'd want to give it a kiss 
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #1,296 of 22,449
so you keep saying. i got past the look once I heard them. cans tend to look pretty ridiculous on most folks imo.

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #1,297 of 22,449
so you keep saying. i got past the look once I heard them. cans tend to look pretty ridiculous on most folks imo.

True that I've said a few times that I won't knock the Abyss's looks anymore, it's just when I see posts justifying it's looks because it's supposed to sound so good, I feel I have to post something.
I haven't just been knocking the Abyss's looks, I've also done the same about the 009's headband, but not as much as the Abyss.

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #1,298 of 22,449
then push the keyboard away. :wink: agree that it's not sleek and stylish but it's well made. jude described it as over engineered and i gotta agree with him. it should outlast the owner.

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #1,299 of 22,449
then push the keyboard away. :wink: agree that it's not sleek and stylish but it's well made. jude described it as over engineered and i gotta agree with him. it should outlast the owner.

That's probably the best thing to do.

What I would like to happen is for every head-fier to post a photo of themselves wearing their headphones, after all it's something I've done with my 009's which is something I wouldn't have done with it's original headband.

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #1,300 of 22,449
I'd very much like to hear the Abyss, but there's no way I'll put that thing on my head.

Apologies in advance to up late for continuing the subject, but I gotta say - boy that is a passionate hate, especially for someone who looks like (from their profile at least) someone who's pretty serious about high end audio and in pursuit of the best.  To flat out refuse to even listen to such a pinnacle of audio products solely because of a styling issue is pretty outrageous.  

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #1,301 of 22,449
I wish I took som selfies wearing the Abyss. I will do that next time. I really like that they doesn't look like any other headphone in the world. They are built like a tank. You could probably throw them around and really abuse them...

It was kind of cumbersome to take them on and off due to the stiff frame, but once I had them on they where very comfortable. I wore them for like an hour without noticing any discomfort.

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #1,302 of 22,449
I'd very much like to hear the Abyss, but there's no way I'll put that thing on my head.

Apologies in advance to up late for continuing the subject, but I gotta say - boy that is a passionate hate, especially for someone who looks like (from their profile at least) someone who's pretty serious about high end audio and in pursuit of the best.  To flat out refuse to even listen to such a pinnacle of audio products solely because of a styling issue is pretty outrageous.  

Like I've done wearing my 009's, please post a photo of yourself wearing your Abyss.

Regarding me not wanting to try those headphones because of their looks, that's true, but from headphones I like as much detail and transparency as possible but without a very strong bass, the kind a bass head would like.
Now my friend head-fier IanG owns the 009's driven by the LL, has heard the Abyss and he told me they have a strong bass, so the Abyss probably wouldn't give me the sound I'm looking for.

Aug 3, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #1,303 of 22,449
Like I've done wearing my 009's, please post a photo of yourself wearing your Abyss.

Regarding me not wanting to try those headphones because of their looks, that's true, but from headphones I like as much detail and transparency as possible but without a very strong bass, the kind a bass head would like.
Now my friend head-fier IanG owns the 009's driven by the LL, has heard the Abyss and he told me they have a strong bass, so the Abyss probably wouldn't give me the sound I'm looking for.

A few members have posted pictures of people wearing the Abyss.  (I can't because unfortunately I don't own them yet).  But from your arguments, it seems like you regard fashion as a much higher priority than most other people here.  Now finally after all this talk about the way it looks, you now mention that it's not got a sound signature that you'd like anyway.  Shouldn't that have been the #1 thing?  Why are you posting photos of tractors to try and make your point to head-fi enthusiasts that are well aware of what it looks like but want to know how it sounds?

Aug 3, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #1,304 of 22,449

Now finally after all this talk about the way it looks, you now mention that it's not got a sound signature that you'd like anyway.  Shouldn't that have been the #1 thing?  Why are you posting photos of tractors to try and make your point to head-fi enthusiasts that are well aware of what it looks like but want to know how it sounds?

From what my friend has told me then yes, the abyss probably wouldn't give me the SQ I'm looking for, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have liked to have found out for myself.

Regarding me posting photos of a tractor, if you look carefully you'll notice it wasn't originally posted by me.

Now I'm trying to not post anymore on this thread but others seem to be provoking me into doing so.
Stop replying to the posts I've done on this thread and I'll stop writing anymore.

Aug 3, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #1,305 of 22,449
Now I'm trying to not post anymore on this thread but others seem to be provoking me into doing so.
Stop replying to the posts I've done on this thread and I'll shop writing anymore.

Well personally I don't mind everyone having their say as long as it's on topic.  I think all discussion about the Abyss is welcome in the Abyss thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back