The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #1,216 of 22,449
Yes. Norwegian tax is required when buying anything valued more than 35$. And laws that protects the consumers states that every thing you buy that is expected to last at least 5 years has a 5 year warranty against production failure. (Even mobile phones...)

I'm strongly considering to buy the Abyss from an US dealer, but the norwegian guaranties are also nice to have...

So let me get this straight...

If you purchase from the Norwegian dealer, you can potentially get the Abyss for around $7,000 along with the benefit of the five year guarantee.

If you purchase from an American dealer, you can get it for the normal retail price, but still have to pay the Norwegian tax on everything you purchase, don't get the five year guarantee, and on top of that, you may have to pay more for shipping, customs, etc.

Is that right? If so, there doesn't seem to be any benefit to you in importing it yourself.

Jul 29, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #1,217 of 22,449
HI GUYS!NOMAX IS HERE!after 3 weeks with my ABYSS i can say it again THE 1266 is the FOR ME the best sounding HP in the World!

And all the Posts about Problems with FIT&SEAL i can not understand that!i think THE REAL OWNERS of THE ABYSS are knowing what i mean!

Its very easy to Bend OUT or Bend IN the headband FOR THE 100%PERFEKT SEAL&FIT&PRESSURE!!

At This Point i would say THANK YOU to JOE&HIS SON FOR THIS MASTERPIECE!

REGARDS NOMAX

Jul 29, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #1,218 of 22,449
HI GUYS!NOMAX IS HERE!after 3 weeks with my ABYSS i can say it again THE 1266 is the FOR ME the best sounding HP in the World!

And all the Posts about Problems with FIT&SEAL i can not understand that!i think THE REAL OWNERS of THE ABYSS are knowing what i mean!

Its very easy to Bend OUT or Bend IN the headband FOR THE 100%PERFEKT SEAL&FIT&PRESSURE!!

REGARDS NOMAX

Nomax is back! =D

Since I plan on getting the Abyss before the year ends, it's reassuring to consistently see such enthusiastic impressions.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,220 of 22,449

REGARDS NOMAX

Totally agreed, Nomax! :)

Jul 30, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #1,221 of 22,449
haha happily scrolling along reading about the Abyss and Norway then all of a sudden

HI GUYS!NOMAX IS HERE!

...I just imagine him bursting into a room waving his arms around yelling at everyone in broken English about how great the Abyss is.  So crazy.

Music Alchemist, I take it from all your detailed questions that you'll be making the purchase without auditioning.  What amp do you plan on getting?

Jul 30, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #1,222 of 22,449
  haha happily scrolling along reading about the Abyss and Norway then all of a sudden

HI GUYS!NOMAX IS HERE!

...I just imagine him bursting into a room waving his arms around yelling at everyone in broken English about how great the Abyss is.  So crazy.

Music Alchemist, I take it from all your detailed questions that you'll be making the purchase without auditioning.  What amp do you plan on getting?

very_evil_smiley.gif

Although I've already made up my mind, I do have auditions planned, and I do want to get a ton of other headphones eventually.

Nomax is apparently a "trade name for a fabric that is used in race drivers' apparel."

Jul 30, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #1,223 of 22,449

:veryevil:

Although I've already made up my mind, I do have auditions planned, and I do want to get a ton of other headphones eventually.

Nomax is apparently a "trade name for a fabric that is used in race drivers' apparel."

Good on you Music Alchemist! mulder01 raises pertinent point: the Abyss is a power hungry can that needs plenty of power to excel. So, don't forget that part of the formula. :)

Jul 30, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #1,224 of 22,449
Good on you Music Alchemist! mulder01 raises pertinent point: the Abyss is a power hungry can that needs plenty of power to excel. So, don't forget that part of the formula.
smily_headphones1.gif

As you can see, I haven't neglected that consideration. (In case you didn't see my earlier post of it, I made that wallpaper myself.)

Know what's funny? Because of me, there were various discussions in the anime thread about the Abyss, and Joe popped in to explain a few things.

Jul 30, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #1,225 of 22,449
Really?  That is quite a combo... Wish I had $20k to spend... 

mulder01 raises pertinent point: the Abyss is a power hungry can that needs plenty of power to excel. So, don't forget that part of the formula.
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, honestly, if I ever get the Abyss I'll be using a cheap(er) portable amp at first... eventually looking to upgrade down the track.  I could build an extension on my house for the price of these with the woo monoblocks...

Jul 30, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #1,226 of 22,449
As you can see, I haven't neglected that consideration. (In case you didn't see my earlier post of it, I made that wallpaper myself.)

Know what's funny? Because of me, there were various discussions in the anime thread about the Abyss, and Joe popped in to explain a few things.

Heheh! Yes, i did see the Woo Audio mono block. Hmm... Try a few SS amps as well. :)

Jul 30, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #1,227 of 22,449

Actually, honestly, if I ever get the Abyss I'll be using a cheap(er) portable amp at first... eventually looking to upgrade down the track.  I could build an extension on my house for the price of these with the woo monoblocks...

You don't need that much. Just get a good solid state amp. Desktop amps are more bang for the buck that a portable amp anyway. :) the woo audio monoblock is an example, from which we shouldn't generalize. :)

Jul 30, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #1,228 of 22,449

I have plenty of work to do before I'll be able to afford it! The upgrade tubes are an extra $1,200, and then you have to add in the DAC, cables, etc.

I'll use portable setups with it too - but that won't begin to bring the best out of it. Rudi should be able to offer advice on that end.

Heheh! Yes, i did see the Woo Audio mono block. Hmm... Try a few SS amps as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

The first solid state amp I plan on getting is the HeadAmp GS-X mk2. I've heard so many great things about it!

Jul 30, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #1,229 of 22,449
You don't need that much. Just get a good solid state amp. Desktop amps are more bang for the buck that a portable amp anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif
the woo audio monoblock is an example, from which we shouldn't generalize.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah I guess you're probably right about the desktop amps being more bang for your buck.  I would probably be using an ALO Audio Rx Mk3 portable, and for just a little bit more you can get a Schiit Mjolnir, which could probably be a better option.  I have heard the Mjolnir is a good place to start if you can't afford a high end amp straight up.

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #1,230 of 22,449
Yeah I guess you're probably right about the desktop amps being more bang for your buck.  I would probably be using an ALO Audio Rx Mk3 portable, and for just a little bit more you can get a Schiit Mjolnir, which could probably be a better option.  I have heard the Mjolnir is a good place to start if you can't afford a high end amp straight up.

So I hear too. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back