The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #14,314 of 22,434
For those with the WA33, what Impedance (H/L) and Level (H/L) do you find the best with the 1266?
I used to go high impedance and high gain. I switched it to low impedance and high gain recently, and I think it sounds better.

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #14,315 of 22,434
I run low impedance and high gain. Plenty of volume control left even at high volume listening.

Mar 3, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #14,316 of 22,434
Does anyone have experience with any of the servers/transports below? I'm wondering how well they play with the Abyss 1266 Phi TC's in particular, but I would appreciate any insight anyone could provide.
I thought about adding the Innous Statement as well (based on a very highly respected recommendation) but the K50 and 432 EVO seem like more versatile and "nerd friendly" boxes for the money. Not sure how the sound quality would compare though and that's obviously the most important thing.

Mar 4, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #14,317 of 22,434
Does anyone have experience with any of the servers/transports below? I'm wondering how well they play with the Abyss 1266 Phi TC's in particular, but I would appreciate any insight anyone could provide.
I thought about adding the Innous Statement as well (based on a very highly respected recommendation) but the K50 and 432 EVO seem like more versatile and "nerd friendly" boxes for the money. Not sure how the sound quality would compare though and that's obviously the most important thing.

I demoed the Innous Statement and then heard the Aurender N20 and bought that instead. Similar pricing.

The ACS10 has a DAC incorporated in it and so it is different than than the other servers you mentioned. Unless you don’t care about Roon, you’ll have to pass on Aurender.

I’m sure the K50 sounds good. I used to own one of the earlier models. They change their lineup with a new “best” frequently and the price keeps climbing.

The 432 EVO it’s totally different than all the other servers. It plays music at 432 Hz versus the standard of 440 Hz. I was going to demo it, but I decided against it.

All of the servers that you mentioned range from around $6000-$15,000. Do yourself a favor and do the work yourself, and listen to these instead of the highly respected person. I’ve followed your posts, and you need to spend time and listen to what you like. There really is no good or bad equipment. It’s what you like to listen to. Everyone has different tastes. Your well respected friend’s opinion is no better or worse than anyone else’s opinion, including mine. It’s just an opinion based on what we like individually.

Mar 4, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #14,318 of 22,434

These mainstream servers are pretty overpriced IMO, especially in light of their small, albeit existent, contribution towards SQ . Ideally I would say do research and build your own server but in lieu of that time sink, I would suggest an alternate consideration which is to commission a custom build with e.g. Larry @ Pareto Audio. His builds use an optimized Audiolinux OS and proven LPS of your choice such as Sean Jacobs or Paul Hynes. He'll work w/ you to spec out your needs on CPU, storage, memory, casing, I/O, noise reduction measures, and more. All dependent on your use case e.g. Roon core, HQP upsampling, etc. Worth an exploratory conversation w/ him if you're looking for a server.

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #14,319 of 22,434
Just received my set today and I am very happy to report that I am in this TOTL headphones club ! These headphones are truly amazing and definitely worth the wait !

Attachments

• IMG_7223.jpg
    IMG_7223.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 4, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #14,321 of 22,434
Mar 4, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #14,323 of 22,434
The main and the only reason why I refused to buy 1266 🤣 Hope one day Abyss would learn how to make headphones comfortable.
Only wimps need comfort. I like living on the edge if I could afford it I'd have a TC for everyday of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back