The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #14,296 of 22,406
I'm thinking of getting a pair of 1266. My current DAC/AMP is an Ayre Codex, which I don't know if will be powerful enough for these headphones. I'm debating on if I should get the XIAUDIO Formula-S with them or get a Chord Hugo TT2 or even a Dave if I find a good deal on used one, anyone tried connecting them directly to the Hugo TT2?

Mar 2, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #14,297 of 22,406
the formula s/powerman is wonderful...the abyss out of the dave is doable but not optimal...I understand the TT2 is better in that regard but of course isnt as good a DAC...dave and formula s /powerman is fantastic

Mar 2, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #14,298 of 22,406
I'm thinking of getting a pair of 1266. My current DAC/AMP is an Ayre Codex, which I don't know if will be powerful enough for these headphones. I'm debating on if I should get the XIAUDIO Formula-S with them or get a Chord Hugo TT2 or even a Dave if I find a good deal on used one, anyone tried connecting them directly to the Hugo TT2?
Don't waste your money on another headamp especially one that is rather simply overpriced.
You might as well upgrade in the line and follow up with AX-5 or similar integrated.

Mar 2, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #14,299 of 22,406
Don't waste your money on another headamp especially one that is rather simply overpriced.
You might as well upgrade in the line and follow up with AX-5 or similar integrated.
Oh, that's an interesting perspective. Do you think the Codex will be able to drive them? And also the AX-5 is an integrated that doesn't have a phone output specifically, are you recommending it for the the headphones or for the rest of the system?

Mar 2, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #14,300 of 22,406
Best bang for the buck is Milo - Reference Milo. It's got some bloom in bass and warm sound. Gives you 12 watts for 1266 TC. I went with the Reference for the upgrades but base is 1600.

Mar 2, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #14,301 of 22,406
Oh, that's an interesting perspective. Do you think the Codex will be able to drive them? And also the AX-5 is an integrated that doesn't have a phone output specifically, are you recommending it for the the headphones or for the rest of the system?
Keep in mind you are in the Summit. It will drive them to competence but highly unlikely to satisfaction depending on your reference.
Being Summit is also why I recommend you don't buy into headamps unless you'd like to pursue the DIY side of things.

I brought up the AX-5 as you seem to enjoy Ayre's zero feedback topology and their diamond output stage that is only continued to the Nth through the AX-5.
For headphone output you would use spade > 4-pin XLR adapter cables.

Mar 2, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #14,302 of 22,406
@paradoxper may be right about going with an integrated speaker amp. It appears others think the same. Me, I dunno. I had the TT2 and found it to not be powerful enough out of the 6.35 jack. You’ll probably have to go double XLR out the back of the TT2 to get adequate bass. I have the DAVE now, and there’s no way you can push the TCs to an adequate level; you definitely need to add a headphone amp.

Between choosing the TT2 or Formula-S, I think you’d be better off with the Formula, as it was designed with the TCs in mind. I’d look at other headphone amps too, to see if another amp better suits your need and preferred genres. If you like Electronica and hip-hop (for example), you’ll want a different sound compared to somebody that listens to jazz or classical. The TCs can render all genres well, but your amp can take it in different directions.

Mar 2, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #14,303 of 22,406
Hi there, I drive both the Abyss and my Susvara from the TT2's balanced outs. I've compared the output from speaker amps as well. I prefer them directly out of the TT2. Obviously, the appropriate cable/adapter must be purchased to drive headphones balanced out of the TT2, but there's plenty of power to tap into - especially for the Abyss, they're easy compared to the Susvara. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mar 2, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #14,304 of 22,406
The TT2 have a high current coming out of the xlrs on the back? Curious how it's pushing so much with small footprint.

Mar 2, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #14,305 of 22,406
The TT2 have a high current coming out of the xlrs on the back? Curious how it's pushing so much with small footprint.
Yep, TT2 does 18watts into 8ohms. It's the supercapacitors and a new output stage with some trickle down tech from their upcoming digital amps. It's unfortunate they didn't just put an XLR4 port on it and instead make you get a custom adapter or cables.

Mar 2, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #14,306 of 22,406
18 watts is what my Headtrip produces at 50 ohms. Cut your 18 down on the TT2 to 50 ohms. My Milo does more. You sure there isn't a load of current? You get an amp of current flowing into the 1266 and it will sing. Got my Dragon coming and that puts out 1 amp of current per channel. Plus there's 5 watts of power. My T+A HA-200 powers the 1266 really good with 700 mA per channel with only 1.5 watts. So I gotta believe there's current in that TT2 they must not be sharing. If it's digital which just means D class they sound like they being doing what Rockford Fosgate did in the beginning of last decade with a amp size of cd case that used the car battery.

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #14,307 of 22,406
18 watts is what my Headtrip produces at 50 ohms. Cut your 18 down on the TT2 to 50 ohms. My Milo does more. You sure there isn't a load of current? You get an amp of current flowing into the 1266 and it will sing. Got my Dragon coming and that puts out 1 amp of current per channel. Plus there's 5 watts of power. My T+A HA-200 powers the 1266 really good with 700 mA per channel with only 1.5 watts. So I gotta believe there's current in that TT2 they must not be sharing. If it's digital which just means D class they sound like they being doing what Rockford Fosgate did in the beginning of last decade with a amp size of cd case that used the car battery.
I feel like I should have paid more attention to Ohm's law...

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #14,308 of 22,406
I did 30 day cert program at metra learning electronics building custom audio calculating the sub box to the vehicle itself. This was what made calculus fun.

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #14,309 of 22,406

"The Hugo TT 2 no longer utilizes a battery power supply. Instead, an external large 15V 4000mA power supply charges six super-capacitors capable of delivering huge reserves of linear dynamic currents when the music demands it."

"peak output of 5A, 9.3V RMS." < from specs page

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #14,310 of 22,406
LMAO. Nope. Yet again.
8 watts nominal into 50 ohms.

Christ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back