The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #14,328 of 22,434
Mar 4, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #14,329 of 22,434
These mainstream servers are pretty overpriced IMO, especially in light of their small, albeit existent, contribution towards SQ . Ideally I would say do research and build your own server but in lieu of that time sink, I would suggest an alternate consideration which is to commission a custom build with e.g. Larry @ Pareto Audio. His builds use an optimized Audiolinux OS and proven LPS of your choice such as Sean Jacobs or Paul Hynes. He'll work w/ you to spec out your needs on CPU, storage, memory, casing, I/O, noise reduction measures, and more. All dependent on your use case e.g. Roon core, HQP upsampling, etc. Worth an exploratory conversation w/ him if you're looking for a server.
You had me at "audiolinux OS"...

Thank you so much for the recommendation and contact info. This really seems like the way to go. I run a 3 node Nutanix/VMware ESXI cluster on stupidly resourced array of Dell R420s. One of the VMs I'm running is an Emby media server running on top of Ubuntu Server 20.04. I was thinking about running HQplayer on a Ubuntu Desktop VM to handle the upsampling from the media server (and make use of all the spare CPU cycles and RAM that are mostly just sitting there), but I was worried about:
  • Audio file quality streaming across my inherently noisy network. Probably no different than Roon now that I think about it.
  • Noise/EMI of using a VM media player as a source/upscaler traversing individual servers, server array, switch, router, firewall, UPS, modem, WAPs/Zigbee receivers, IT rack, etc.
  • Physically connecting my DAC to the server array in another room. Unfortunately my DAC doesn't have a network uplink (Holo May KTE). I could always sell the KTE and upgrade to a DAC with a network port I suppose.
Given the above, I thought it best to get a dedicated streamer/transport in a separate, mostly-shielded rack with my amp, DAC, and conditioner.

What do you think? Use the fancy IT stuff or build a custom dedicated streamer/transport? The real question is, will a dedicated streamer provide any appreciable difference in quality or enjoyment over my super nerd solution? Given the revealing nature of my setup, I assume the answer is yes (Abyss 1266 Phi TC > WA33 EE w/JPS wires > AudioQuest Fire cables > Holo May KTE > VM media server/custom streamer/pc for now). But If the answer is no, I'd rather save the money and buy a bouncy castle or go to Outback for a steak...lol

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #14,331 of 22,434

Thank you so much for the recommendation and contact info. This really seems like the way to go. I run a 3 node Nutanix/VMware ESXI cluster on stupidly resourced array of Dell R420s. One of the VMs I'm running is an Emby media server running on top of Ubuntu Server 20.04. I was thinking about running HQplayer on a Ubuntu Desktop VM to handle the upsampling from the media server (and make use of all the spare CPU cycles and RAM that are mostly just sitting there), but I was worried about:
  • Audio file quality streaming across my inherently noisy network. Probably no different than Roon now that I think about it.
  • Noise/EMI of using a VM media player as a source/upscaler traversing individual servers, server array, switch, router, firewall, UPS, modem, WAPs/Zigbee receivers, IT rack, etc.
  • Physically connecting my DAC to the server array in another room. Unfortunately my DAC doesn't have a network uplink (Holo May KTE). I could always sell the KTE and upgrade to a DAC with a network port I suppose.
Given the above, I thought it best to get a dedicated streamer/transport in a separate, mostly-shielded rack with my amp, DAC, and conditioner.

What do you think? Use the fancy IT stuff or build a custom dedicated streamer/transport? The real question is, will a dedicated streamer provide any appreciable difference in quality or enjoyment over my super nerd solution? Given the revealing nature of my setup, I assume the answer is yes (Abyss 1266 Phi TC > WA33 EE w/JPS wires > AudioQuest Fire cables > Holo May KTE > VM media server/custom streamer/pc for now). But If the answer is no, I'd rather save the money and buy a bouncy castle or go to Outback for a steak...lol
I can't wait to connect the May to my Elite(didn't splurge for jps). I ordered the KR tubes yesterday so hopefully tomorrow I can swap out acme 2A3's. Have EML 300b 2.5 enroute. Should receive sometime during this year as long as EML doesn't F it up again.

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #14,332 of 22,434
I demoed the Innous Statement and then heard the Aurender N20 and bought that instead. Similar pricing.

The ACS10 has a DAC incorporated in it and so it is different than than the other servers you mentioned. Unless you don’t care about Roon, you’ll have to pass on Aurender.

I’m sure the K50 sounds good. I used to own one of the earlier models. They change their lineup with a new “best” frequently and the price keeps climbing.

The 432 EVO it’s totally different than all the other servers. It plays music at 432 Hz versus the standard of 440 Hz. I was going to demo it, but I decided against it.

All of the servers that you mentioned range from around $6000-$15,000. Do yourself a favor and do the work yourself, and listen to these instead of the highly respected person. I’ve followed your posts, and you need to spend time and listen to what you like. There really is no good or bad equipment. It’s what you like to listen to. Everyone has different tastes. Your well respected friend’s opinion is no better or worse than anyone else’s opinion, including mine. It’s just an opinion based on what we like individually.
Thanks for the guidance and info (yet again). You're mostly correct with everything in your post:). I guess I should have been a bit more transparent (HIYO!!! That was my first audio joke...) with my decision-making and purchase process:
  1. Get often lightly-biased recommendations from folks on Head-fi, and other forums, to narrow down the impossibly large list of options into something much more manageable and actionable. I learned sig snooping is extremely valuable here.
  2. Validate Head-fi/other forum recommendations with online dealer (the guy I'm actually buying stuff from), absorb his often semi-biased opinion, then make adjustments as needed.
  3. Obsessively consult the Googlizer, YouTube, Head-fi, headphones.com, reddit, and whatever else I can find, to read/listen to every review and bit of info I can get my hands on.
  4. Visit multiple local dealers to test and validate recommendations and information gathered above. This typically involves:
    1. Listening to uncomfortably-biased sales pitches and horseshit from approx. 60-70% of local dealers. Some were obviously better than others...
    2. Testing what I want to test, often including local salespeople's recommendations for thoroughness (incidentally, I found this approach particularly valuable when I was deciding on cables).
    3. Leave.
    4. Form my own opinions based on the information gathered.
  5. Consult the Googlizer, YouTube, forums, etc. again to validate my personal findings, address concerns, etc.
  6. Place order with online dealer.
Which brings me back to the streamers...I am currently soliciting recommendations and information in accordance with step 1:)
  • You are right about the ASC10. The N20 would be a far better choice. Options list updated -thanks!
  • Thanks for the info on the K50. This was the front-runner before Koven's custom recommendation. If I do go with a COTS streaming box, the K50 or the N20 will likely be it.
  • 432Hz on the EVO is an optional post-processing mode. Aside from the purported ultra-high quality and performance, that was mainly why I was looking at it. Seemed like a bit of a novelty to be sure, but the option would be nice to have. That said, this seems like a rather expensive and somewhat obscure box. Me thinks a warranty claim would be a nightmare as they don't have any official US distributors. I'll probably just cross this off the list for my own sanity.
  • I think I'm going to take Koven's advice and go the custom route. Will likely be cheaper and I'll get a purpose-built box with everything I want and hopefully very little of what I don't (plus audiolinux OS = nerdgasms!!!).

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #14,333 of 22,434
I can't wait to connect the May to my Elite(didn't splurge for jps). I ordered the KR tubes yesterday so hopefully tomorrow I can swap out acme 2A3's. Have EML 300b 2.5 enroute. Should receive sometime during this year as long as EML doesn't F it up again.
Ohhh very nice!!! Let me know how it sounds, pretty please! The May is the only thing I wasn't able to test before ordering and I'm extremely interested in the sound and synergy between that and the WA33 EE. The JPS wiring will likely sound a bit different, but your feedback and opinions would still be a phenomenal place to start!

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #14,334 of 22,434

Well on one hand leveraging your existing systems should be sufficient, but on the other hand, a dedicated solution should theoretically perform superior. Plus as someone in the quest towards pinnacle SQ, the curiosity of not going dedicated will surely cause you to lose sleep so you might as well concede to that in advance and bite the bullet. I can kind of relate because I have a Plex media server which is powerful enough to throw in Roon/HQP but I choose to keep my music separated/isolated. Coincidentally my setup is nearly identical to yours down to the AQ Fire, only difference is my WA33 is the standard version. I've used Antipodes in the past, Innuos more recently, but these custom Audiolinux servers w/ LPS sound magnificent when built and tweaked properly. Truly an incredible value proposition and, excuse the cliché, but giant-killers really.

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #14,335 of 22,434
Well on one hand leveraging your existing systems should be sufficient, but on the other hand, a dedicated solution should theoretically perform superior. Plus as someone in the quest towards pinnacle SQ, the curiosity of not going dedicated will surely cause you to lose sleep so you might as well concede to that in advance and bite the bullet. I can kind of relate because I have a Plex media server which is powerful enough to throw in Roon/HQP but I choose to keep my music separated/isolated. Coincidentally my setup is nearly identical to yours down to the AQ Fire, only difference is my WA33 is the standard version. I've used Antipodes in the past, Innuos more recently, but these custom Audiolinux servers w/ LPS sound magnificent when built and tweaked properly. Truly an incredible value proposition and, excuse the cliché, but giant-killers really.

You are absolutely spot on and I agree wholeheartedly. I would likely end up losing my will power at some point and going dedicated eventually, so I might as well rip off the Band-Aid:)

I actually just finished speaking with Larry over the phone. We nerded it up for a good hour+ and I am definitely going the custom route through Pareto audio. Thanks again for the recommendation. Sincerely. You just saved me a butt-load of money while increasing the overall quality and subsequent enjoyment of my system. Is there like a Koven tip jar somewhere?!? I think I need one for a few others on this forum as well...

Also, Larry echoed what we both assumed; a dedicated streamer will indeed yield vastly superior sound quality and performance. The only remaining questions and/or concerns I have are:
  • Stability. What is the long-term stability and projected lifespan of these systems (if known)? Do they require constant tweaking or updates (provided I can actually restrain myself from messing with and breaking it long before this ever becomes relevant)? Can you treat them as true "set it and forget it" systems just like a normal COTS server?
  • Performance. What is the actual apples-to-apples difference in performance compared with any of the aforementioned high-end servers (K50, N20, Statement)?
  • Survivability and Support. What is the long-term support model if Larry gets hit by a truck? I assume it is the same as every other manufacturer that goes out of business, offers limited support and/or terrible warranties; you are on your own.
I also just want to emphatically agree with and reiterate what you said about value proposition for others that may come across this thread. You can get the exact performance, power, connectivity, storage, components, etc., etc. that you want at a much lower price without any of the ancillary cost of marketing, R&D, etc. stacked on top. Furthermore, the custom route is likely the best way to go for most people running higher-end systems who are looking for the very best price-to-performance. The overall value here is just nuts...

Same system, eh?!? Holy crap!!! Now I have even more questions...
  • Are you currently using a custom server from Pareto Audio? Contextually, I assumed you are and if so:
    • Can you answer any of my questions above?
    • What is your overall level of satisfaction with the system and any support you received (if any)?
  • What is your overall impression of the WA33 + May KTE pairing?
    • How well do they synergize/pair compared to other DAC combos you may have tried?
    • Are there any nuances or "gotchas" with this paring that I should be aware of?
    • Have you noticed any increases or decreases in soundstage, clarity, and 3D imaging using the 1266 Phi TCs with this pairing?
  • Do you use any other types of cables and/or different materials elsewhere in your system to "balance out the silver" or are you full AQ Fire/silver cables all the way through? I tried approx. 15 other cable types from 7 different manufacturers before I settled on the AQ fires. I found the transparency and clarity of AQ fires intoxicating, bordering on addicting, and ultimately just too good to pass up. The only cables I didn't get to try that I wanted to were the JPS alumiloys.

Lastly, sorry for the wall(s) of text and for barraging you with questions. It's just hard to find 1st-hand information that is this relevant to my specific setup...

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #14,336 of 22,434
You are absolutely spot on and I agree wholeheartedly. I would likely end up losing my will power at some point and going dedicated eventually, so I might as well rip off the Band-Aid:)

I actually just finished speaking with Larry over the phone. We nerded it up for a good hour+ and I am definitely going the custom route through Pareto audio. Thanks again for the recommendation. Sincerely. You just saved me a butt-load of money while increasing the overall quality and subsequent enjoyment of my system. Is there like a Koven tip jar somewhere?!? I think I need one for a few others on this forum as well...

Also, Larry echoed what we both assumed; a dedicated streamer will indeed yield vastly superior sound quality and performance. The only remaining questions and/or concerns I have are:
  • Stability. What is the long-term stability and projected lifespan of these systems (if known)? Do they require constant tweaking or updates (provided I can actually restrain myself from messing with and breaking it long before this ever becomes relevant)? Can you treat them as true "set it and forget it" systems just like a normal COTS server?
  • Performance. What is the actual apples-to-apples difference in performance compared with any of the aforementioned high-end servers (K50, N20, Statement)?
  • Survivability and Support. What is the long-term support model if Larry gets hit by a truck? I assume it is the same as every other manufacturer that goes out of business, offers limited support and/or terrible warranties; you are on your own.
I also just want to emphatically agree with and reiterate what you said about value proposition for others that may come across this thread. You can get the exact performance, power, connectivity, storage, components, etc., etc. that you want at a much lower price without any of the ancillary cost of marketing, R&D, etc. stacked on top. Furthermore, the custom route is likely the best way to go for most people running higher-end systems who are looking for the very best price-to-performance. The overall value here is just nuts...

Same system, eh?!? Holy crap!!! Now I have even more questions...
  • Are you currently using a custom server from Pareto Audio? Contextually, I assumed you are and if so:
    • Can you answer any of my questions above?
    • What is your overall level of satisfaction with the system and any support you received (if any)?
  • What is your overall impression of the WA33 + May KTE pairing?
    • How well do they synergize/pair compared to other DAC combos you may have tried?
    • Are there any nuances or "gotchas" with this paring that I should be aware of?
    • Have you noticed any increases or decreases in soundstage, clarity, and 3D imaging using the 1266 Phi TCs with this pairing?
  • Do you use any other types of cables and/or different materials elsewhere in your system to "balance out the silver" or are you full AQ Fire/silver cables all the way through? I tried approx. 15 other cable types from 7 different manufacturers before I settled on the AQ fires. I found the transparency and clarity of AQ fires intoxicating, bordering on addicting, and ultimately just too good to pass up. The only cables I didn't get to try that I wanted to were the JPS alumiloys.

Lastly, sorry for the wall(s) of text and for barraging you with questions. It's just hard to find 1st-hand information that is this relevant to my specific setup...

Yeah Larry is a pleasure to chat with, super nice and knowledgeable. I currently have a DIY Audiolinux build going w/ some spare parts/LPS, it's a pretty scrappy hodgepodge as I've never done this before and only began learning/tinkering by reading through massive threads on AudiophileStyle forum. I have a Zenith mk3 as well, but it's not possible to install HQP on it. Even if it was, the CPU is too weak for upsampling. So I started toying with this after I got the May, in pursuit of unleashing HQP 768khz into it. I've come to find that Audiolinux OS is a gem in terms of utter sound quality, even with my frankenstein rig. I can see the potential w/ a more targeted build and configuration. This is where I began feeling like I'm in over my head on optimizing a Audiolinux server, some of the more technical tweaks I've read about are beyond my confidence and patience. As a result I came across Larry and am in process of getting a server built by him.

I think May (and WA33) both have strong synergy with TC. I like the combo more than most of my past DACs and amps. TC is aggressive/extreme on resolution/transparency. It's a jaw dropper in bursts but sometimes a bit overbearing for long sessions. For me, both May and WA33 introduce a much appreciated smoothness and tonality to TC, w/o sacrificing it's hyper-detailed nature. I used to switch over to Susvara after a short listen w/ TC. But now I can listen to TC happily for many consecutive hours.

I use AQ Tornado power alongside the Fire XLR. I've also tried a bunch of popular cables in this price range but ultimately landed w/ AQ. They intentionally moved away from using silver in power cables w/ their latest Storm series lineup. I remember reading an article explaining their rationale but don't recall the specifics. But I totally echo your impression of the Fire. It's an eye opener, probably good enough to sway diehard objectivists. Shunyata was a close second for me on power, but Fire was by far my favorite interconnect.

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #14,337 of 22,434
Did you end up keeping the super conductor 1266 cable in the end?
To be honest, I'm probably going to sell it.

Does anyone know if JPS sells the SC HP cable terminated in female dual XLR3 (not the standard male)?

Mar 5, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #14,338 of 22,434
Mar 5, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #14,339 of 22,434
@Sajid Amit here are all the o-rings you could ever want.
https://www.theoringstore.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=175
Ships worldwide.

You should also look at picking up a kit of the urethane as they have a stronger elastic rating and therefore will last longer than Buna (industrial standard.)
Do you know what o-ring size corresponds to the stock o-ring? Have you tried the urethane o-rings? Is it easy to replace? I have the latest headband. Thanks!

Mar 5, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #14,340 of 22,434
Do you know what o-ring size corresponds to the stock o-ring? Have you tried the urethane o-rings? Is it easy to replace? I have the latest headband. Thanks!
IIRC 3mm CS x 24mm ID. It was desired for some to raise/lower cup height / fitment for comfort. I have no issues.
The urethane was just an option as a few members aren't having the best luck with longevity using what I surmise is stock Buna-N which is just nitrile.

Here's a video from Joe demonstrating headband replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back