The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #13,804 of 22,461
Is SPL Phonitor XE good enough to drive ab 1266 TC? Thinking about upgrading my Topping A90.
Hi,
yes its good enough. I've used it for about a year with my TC and to me it sounded better than my V281.

I've now moved on to Formula S + Powerman and feel this is a further step up, I think I am done with chasing for a while at least :wink:

On the other hand I just got my new model headband and WOW!. On my head it makes the 1266 actually confortable and I feel it's finally sitting right! A pity on the new logo however!

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #13,808 of 22,461
Hi,
yes its good enough. I've used it for about a year with my TC and to me it sounded better than my V281.

I've now moved on to Formula S + Powerman and feel this is a further step up, I think I am done with chasing for a while at least :wink:

On the other hand I just got my new model headband and WOW!. On my head it makes the 1266 actually confortable and I feel it's finally sitting right! A pity on the new logo however!
what headband did you get ?

Feb 2, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #13,810 of 22,461
Also just got in a replacement headband. One thing the website doesn’t show in the pictures is that it’s more plush and wider while being the same length. It also seems they included smaller o-rings than what was on the older one as well, but mine may have been just that worn not entirely sure.
3F5A56FB-6A44-4FFC-BCD2-4D38AE98CD9D.jpeg
E79C0A0A-D2AA-4767-9F3E-6088B34685E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #13,811 of 22,461
Also just got in a replacement headband. One thing the website doesn’t show in the pictures is that it’s more plush and wider while being the same length. It also seems they included smaller o-rings than what was on the older one as well, but mine may have been just that worn not entirely sure.
3F5A56FB-6A44-4FFC-BCD2-4D38AE98CD9D.jpeg
E79C0A0A-D2AA-4767-9F3E-6088B34685E2.jpeg
Are smaller or bigger o rings more comfortable ? And how many sizes for the orings do you get ?

Feb 2, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #13,812 of 22,461
Are smaller or bigger o rings more comfortable ? And how many sizes for the orings do you get ?
You can get a multipack for fairly cheap. I got this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07GSKKHQM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I found that the next size up from the stock o-ring worked the best. No more clamping on my head. But, one of those o-rings broke and I had to replace it. That multipack gives you a ton of o-rings, so no problem there.

I’m not really sure if the Abyss O-rings are a different material or not. But, my stock o-rings never broke with the old headband design. I don’t know why one of the new o-rings broke, but it only happened once so far

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #13,813 of 22,461
You can get a multipack for fairly cheap. I got this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07GSKKHQM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I found that the next size up from the stock o-ring worked the best. No more clamping on my head. But, one of those o-rings broke and I had to replace it. That multipack gives you a ton of o-rings, so no problem there.

I’m not really sure if the Abyss O-rings are a different material or not. But, my stock o-rings never broke with the old headband design. I don’t know why one of the new o-rings broke, but it only happened once so far

I bought my TC 14 months ago and still have the original O Rings.

Feb 2, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #13,814 of 22,461
I bought my TC 14 months ago and still have the original O Rings.
Same here...but I do enjoy the new headband sooooooo much more. The ear cups are finally off the tops of my ears.

Feb 2, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #13,815 of 22,461
So it goes on beyond comfort.
These HPs have the ability to pretty EQ as you move the cups to the different positions as as your ears are placed throughout the cups and the ears positioning matters.... Endless combinations....
So the rings allow slack or tightness if needed once you land on your desired soundfit.
I suggest you get the rings... But first... Find the sound you like most and positions of pads,ears inside pads, xy axis... All of that mess. You gonna end up getting an associates degree in the TC by the time you are done with it.
Then, apply the rings to help you maintain tightness (uphead) or slack based on sound preference, and then comfort.
(ultimately these headphones are OK as comfort goes... The cable is poo as far as comfort goes)
No one buys the TC for comfort. Only for sound.

Guys,ive found me a de Esser software that can edit my tracks and smooth them with pretty much no downgraded SQ as it's very little processing and just smooths any shouting frequency.
Great news... Love my TC more than ever.

Also wondering id the Milo from wells audio would help further smooth out that top end. Snares seem to hit me most and certain lightweight drums.

While eqing... Ive never landed on my problem frequencies..there is soemthitn I'm missing. But I'm close to bliss here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back