The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #13,816 of 22,461
Are smaller or bigger o rings more comfortable ? And how many sizes for the orings do you get ?
Smaller o-rings have been working better for me because before they earcups were sitting too low for my preference in all positions other than fully pulled out. From what I've experience it's really going to be how it sits on your head and if you can adjust it to the point you need to or not. I'd stick with stock unless you're experiencing issues with the headphones sitting too low compared to your ears.

Feb 3, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #13,821 of 22,461
I realize I'm going to sound like a fanboy but I've been listening to my 1266TC with the full X1 Audio stack and it just sounds incredible. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. Usually it's the other way around.

Feb 3, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #13,822 of 22,461
The amp from Wells to get is the HeadTrip 2 for 1266 TC. You have a very neutral tube like sound. The Milo could tame the highs as it's a warm amp. I have both amps and like the 1266 on the HeadTrip more. For the Solitaire P I like the Reference Milo more as it increase bass pretty close to TC levels. Milo is not dull in the top end or rolled off.

Feb 3, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #13,823 of 22,461
Smaller o-rings have been working better for me because before they earcups were sitting too low for my preference in all positions other than fully pulled out. From what I've experience it's really going to be how it sits on your head and if you can adjust it to the point you need to or not. I'd stick with stock unless you're experiencing issues with the headphones sitting too low compared to your ears.
Thanks ! I see that you have GSX-Mini. Is this enough for 1266 TC ?

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #13,825 of 22,461
Thanks ! I see that you have GSX-Mini. Is this enough for 1266 TC ?
Mini can power it pretty well, I just find it can get a little too hot in the treble for my taste. I’ve generally been using my ModWright Tryst to power 1266 while Mini has been on Diana duty.

Feb 3, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #13,826 of 22,461
Hello all. New guy here looking to jump straight into the extreme TOTL headphones from a lifetime of midranged products (Sony 1000xm4 and the sort).

After all the praise and hype and months of research, the 1266 TC is looking like the best for me. I want that for sure but I'll need starter equipment that I can upgrade down the line. Any all-in-ones that can power the Abyss? So far I only know of the FCN-10.

If not, I'll take some amp reccomendations.

Feb 3, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #13,827 of 22,461
The Schiit Jotunheim with one of the dac modules has enough power to drive them and is probably the best budget sub-$1k option you can get for an all-in-one solution.

I'd make sure you get the 1266 TC from somewhere with a good return policy, I know I'd be hesitant to jump straight to something like that as my first 'real' headphones.

Feb 3, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #13,828 of 22,461
Hello all. New guy here looking to jump straight into the extreme TOTL headphones from a lifetime of midranged products (Sony 1000xm4 and the sort).

After all the praise and hype and months of research, the 1266 TC is looking like the best for me. I want that for sure but I'll need starter equipment that I can upgrade down the line. Any all-in-ones that can power the Abyss? So far I only know of the FCN-10.

If not, I'll take some amp reccomendations.

Looks like a good move. Wish I could have saved the loss from buying and selling 20 headphones (although I value the experience).
Share your impressions here!

Feb 3, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #13,829 of 22,461
I'd make sure you get the 1266 TC from somewhere with a good return policy, I know I'd be hesitant to jump straight to something like that as my first 'real' headphones.
Second this, as there have been a few who have experienced regret or have attempted to adjust the presentation to their liking and that can be a frustrating and expensive endeavor. With that said, consider this as an option - https://www.thecableco.com/the-cable-company-headphone-lending-library

From the site: "A deposit equal to 5% of the selling price of the borrowed products will be charged to your credit card when we ship. This deposit is not refundable but will be applied in full against purchases (headphones, or any other new or used products) from The Cable Company, Usedcable.com, or our Ultra Systems affiliate."

I have neither have an affiliation nor experience with the lending library but many do and the responses have been favorable.

Feb 3, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #13,830 of 22,461
Any more specific details, like title/album or name of the musician?

True, but it's still easier to understand his reference if we know what he listen to.
I found a segment relevant, while discovering new tracks on roon, I dislike the track but, now that I fixed my treble quite well, I do have one last issue elsewhere.

In track name *Listen to Me*
By. D-zybell
On *minimal techno)

Problem starts at 1:01 and lasts until (an beyond) 1:12
Those claps.. Those claps really do tire me out quickly and plain makes my jaw tight. I find it very irritating...
What frequency group is that?
I cânt sweep it in an eq.. I don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back