The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #13,771 of 22,507
Go here - https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/crinacle/ears-711_harman_over-ear_2018/Abyss AB-1266 Phi CC Lite

Try some/all of these in Roon - https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/crinacle/ears-711_harman_over-ear_2018/Abyss AB-1266 Phi CC Lite#parametric-eqs

Or use the convolution engine in Roon. Download these two files referenced below from the first URL and zip them up. Then open the convolution engine in Roon and point to the zipped file.

Don't do both at the same time, as it will double up the correction. Good luck.

Abyss AB-1266 Phi CC Lite minimum phase 44100Hz.wav
Recomputed all results with the new limited slope equalization.
15 days ago

Abyss AB-1266 Phi CC Lite minimum phase 48000Hz.wav
Recomputed all results with the new limited slope equalization.
15 days ago
I tried those first 2 links prior. Those were actually the eq I tried.
Never tried thr convulsion, on it! Thanks so much

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #13,772 of 22,507
For me HP on the same lvl as 1266 are only Susvara for now but i didn't listen some other hi-end HP like top Stax or RAAL etc...

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #13,773 of 22,507
I tried those first 2 links prior. Those were actually the eq I tried.
Never tried thr convulsion, on it! Thanks so much
IMO, the EQ settings are way off but what do I know; I only have my ears to make happy and not a frequency plot. With that said, you could work the those frequencies in the mids and higher and lower them to taste.

What worked best for me was X-PHD=2 and Filter-2 on the Hugo TT2. That's with a M-Scaler feeding it.

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #13,774 of 22,507
Really, that is really surprising. What were you driving them with? I had the Abyss and the Ether 2 at the time and felt like they were nearly as capable in bass. I was really impressed at the texture and resolution that I heard from them from midrange to bass. It felt like it had hair on it, reached out physically, much like the Abyss.

As with all DCA headphones, IMO, they do start out kind of underwhelming, but about 100-200 hours of burn-in, along with the brain burn-in, is when you start hearing what makes them special.

Violectric V281. Plenty of bass from that amp.

Feb 1, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #13,775 of 22,507
For me, the biggest problem in 1266 was always the bass balance, I always had more bass in the right earphone, playing with the pads, headband spacing or tilt only made it worse. It turned out that I had to bend the left earpiece so that I had more space around my ear.

Feb 1, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #13,776 of 22,507
For me, the biggest problem in 1266 was always the bass balance, I always had more bass in the right earphone, playing with the pads, headband spacing or tilt only made it worse. It turned out that I had to bend the left earpiece so that I had more space around my ear.
Agree, fit is the biggest issue with the headphone and has such a huge impact on the low end.

Feb 1, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #13,779 of 22,507
Feb 1, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #13,782 of 22,507
Especially with that horrible Jps labs stock cable
To manage the cables, I use this from Amazon

Alex Tech 10ft - 1/4 inch Cord Protector Wire Loom Tubing Cable Sleeve Split Sleeving For USB Cable Power Cord Audio Video Cable

Cut to desired length, place cables together inside, use some Super 33 tape on the ends to keep from fraying. Works well for me.

Feb 1, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #13,783 of 22,507
To manage the cables, I use this from Amazon

Alex Tech 10ft - 1/4 inch Cord Protector Wire Loom Tubing Cable Sleeve Split Sleeving For USB Cable Power Cord Audio Video Cable

Cut to desired length, place cables together inside, use some Super 33 tape on the ends to keep from fraying. Works well for me.
Hey that's a cool workaround, but I don't think this stock cable is worth any effort. I'm definitely replacing it.
Never heard the famed SC, but I'm not a fan of anything Jps labs. I've had some other interconnects and found them inferior sounding.
But this TC cable is so hard to work with. Moving it around and managing, it's like swatting a schit fly that won't go away. I'm glad to move on from the cable at least.

But that's a cool sleeve thing I guess.. I don't see how it would make it easier and more flexible.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #13,784 of 22,507
Hey that's a cool workaround, but I don't think this stock cable is worth any effort. I'm definitely replacing it.
Never heard the famed SC, but I'm not a fan of anything Jps labs. I've had some other interconnects and found them inferior sounding.
But this TC cable is so hard to work with. Moving it around and managing, it's like swatting a schit fly that won't go away. I'm glad to move on from the cable at least.

But that's a cool sleeve thing I guess.. I don't see how it would make it easier and more flexible.
I didn't care for the two distinct cables and this solved the issue for me. Nothing is going to make it more flexible, it's the nature of the cable.

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #13,785 of 22,507
Well Genefruit gave me a few files of convolution eq to mess with in roon and Wow. It pretty much fixed the issue for me. It does appear that sibilance in some of the treble is more pronounce but it doesn't bother me. This is game changing for me.
Anyone know of a collection of these files I can try out and find the *best* one?

Wow!

Thanks a lot genefruit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back