The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #13,758 of 22,596
Most Tidal /roon electronic music gets a little sharp at times I'd say 70% of the genre, for me.

Any more specific details, like title/album or name of the musician?

It’s not as much the song or artist, as it is the recording itself. Go on Tidal or Qobuz and you may see the same album a few times, and they all sound different. Some better or worse than the others.

True, but it's still easier to understand his reference if we know what he listen to.

Feb 1, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #13,759 of 22,596
Any more specific details, like title/album or name of the musician?

True, but it's still easier to understand his reference if we know what he listen to.
Well I don't have anything quite in mind.
I usually listen to various albums, this is how I discover new tracks I like. So out of any 7 tracks in the electronic department will be too punchy up top for me. Requiring to fiddle with the fit on my head to tame the top (pushing the ears as far back in the cups as they go, at a pretty significant loss of resolution) or skip thr track all together to avoid fatigue. If I don't... În about 45 Mins I have to stop my sessions as my ears are shot as far as treble and shoutyness goes.
From time to time I listen to some jazz, some classic rock, you know (some *real* music) and good recordings are a blessing on this TC, not a shrill, or Bite in sight. It's a wonder.
Sometimes I'll come across good recordings in electronica and it's a joy to hear the expert layering of the TC
It is what it is. I'm hoping the copper cable will take it (the lush 2 usb cable from pc to dac sure helped a lot) maybe this copper cable is gonna be better add on too, (headphone cable)

The poor can only keep 1. The rad0 (or other smooth cans) or the TC

It is what is. One thing is for sure.
Regarless, of a sale or a new cable
I'm so so glad that my days with the garbage stock Jps labs cable are numbered

Feb 1, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #13,760 of 22,596
@InstantSilence Have you considered a bit of EQ? I know a pure copper, low capacitance cable will help tame the highs, like the Dana Lazuli cable, but I think you're right - you might be looking for something warm and the TC is not a warm headphone, it's clear and transparent, which can be a bit much if you prefer a warmer signature. I think a bit of EQ to your taste would be the only good solution that doesn't involve you spending a lot more for very minor changes to the sound signature. I'm not into EQ, so I can't help with the settings, but I'm sure someone here is EQ'ing their TC to make it a bit warmer and can probably share if you want to try.

Feb 1, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #13,761 of 22,596
@InstantSilence Have you considered a bit of EQ? I know a pure copper, low capacitance cable will help tame the highs, like the Dana Lazuli cable, but I think you're right - you might be looking for something warm and the TC is not a warm headphone, it's clear and transparent, which can be a bit much if you prefer a warmer signature. I think a bit of EQ to your taste would be the only good solution that doesn't involve you spending a lot more for very minor changes to the sound signature. I'm not into EQ, so I can't help with the settings, but I'm sure someone here is EQ'ing their TC to make it a bit warmer and can probably share if you want to try.
I tried (not knowing what I'm doing or where I should apply it.)
In roon, by jsut 2db where I felt peaky. But as with most EQ, it degrades overall sound I feel.
Some, with professional eq programs and knowing what they do probably doesn't experience what I do.
Its a very resolving can, hell, the transparency, clarity is why I love the thing
I guess in this day and age, at any budget,
One cannot have both hyper resolving yet super smooth simultaneously.
The bass... My God. I'm gonna miss this quality bass...

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #13,762 of 22,596
In roon, by jsut 2db where I felt peaky. But as with most EQ, it degrades overall sound I feel.
Some, with professional eq programs and knowing what they do probably doesn't experience what I do.
Its a very resolving can, hell, the transparency, clarity is why I love the thing
Trade it in for a Susvara, very close in terms of technicalities, great quality bass, and a very smooth treble. That's the only can you're going to be happy with after the Abyss...everything else will feel like a downgrade. However, as I have mentioned previously, the easiest to listen to, smoothest (almost subdued treble), and warmest headphones that still deliver top quality midrange and bass that extends lowwww is the DCA Ether 2, imo.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #13,763 of 22,596
Trade it in for a Susvara, very close in terms of technicalities, great quality bass, and a very smooth treble. That's the only can you're going to be happy with after the Abyss...everything else will feel like a downgrade. However, as I have mentioned previously, the easiest to listen to, smoothest (almost subdued treble), and warmest headphones that still deliver top quality midrange and bass that extends lowwww is the Ether 2, imo.

I used to have the Ether Flow, liked them, and then got the Ether 2 when they first came out. I sent them back after 2 weeks as I felt they where bass lite.

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #13,764 of 22,596
I used to have the Ether Flow, liked them, and then got the Ether 2 when they first came out. I sent them back after 2 weeks as I felt they where bass lite.
Really, that is really surprising. What were you driving them with? I had the Abyss and the Ether 2 at the time and felt like they were nearly as capable in bass. I was really impressed at the texture and resolution that I heard from them from midrange to bass. It felt like it had hair on it, reached out physically, much like the Abyss.

As with all DCA headphones, IMO, they do start out kind of underwhelming, but about 100-200 hours of burn-in, along with the brain burn-in, is when you start hearing what makes them special.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #13,765 of 22,596
Trade it in for a Susvara, very close in terms of technicalities, great quality bass, and a very smooth treble. That's the only can you're going to be happy with after the Abyss...everything else will feel like a downgrade. However, as I have mentioned previously, the easiest to listen to, smoothest (almost subdued treble), and warmest headphones that still deliver top quality midrange and bass that extends lowwww is the DCA Ether 2, imo.
I may do the susvara if the rad0 is really far behind in resolution and layering
It is what it is. It's difficult for me, not having a shop around that has these things to hear
All I need is an hour with like 5 different cans to decide what's right for me.
Instead it will take months of buying, trading, selling to find out. And even then, can't do AB *test*

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #13,766 of 22,596
Really, that is really surprising. What were you driving them with? I had the Abyss and the Ether 2 at the time and felt like they were nearly as capable in bass. I was really impressed at the texture and resolution that I heard from them from midrange to bass. It felt like it had hair on it, reached out physically, much like the Abyss.
Wow I'm surprized you compare that ether 2 bass with tc, about a year back I spent a few tracks with the ether 2 and wasn't impressed. I think Mr speakers brand blows... I had the C flow 1.1 and that thing was poo too.
But... Ether 2 and abyss... When it comes to bass? Whaaaaa?
Im starting to think your TC is not well seated, correctly seated when you wear it.
Soemthing is awfully off.. I'm sorry you're missing out on sublime TC this whole time.

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #13,767 of 22,596
I may do the susvara if the rad0 is really far behind in resolution and layering
It is what it is. It's difficult for me, not having a shop around that has these things to hear
All I need is an hour with like 5 different cans to decide what's right for me.
Instead it will take months of buying, trading, selling to find out. And even then, can't do AB *test*
That sounds like fun, enjoy going through all those different headphones. You'll get personal experience with what makes each one interesting. Looking forward to your impressions.

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #13,769 of 22,596
Wow I'm surprized you compare that ether 2 bass with tc, about a year back I spent a few tracks with the ether 2 and wasn't impressed. I think Mr speakers brand blows... I had the C flow 1.1 and that thing was poo too.
But... Ether 2 and abyss... When it comes to bass? Whaaaaa?
Im starting to think your TC is not well seated, correctly seated when you wear it.
Soemthing is awfully off.. I'm sorry you're missing out on sublime TC this whole time.
Funny, if you were to ask me top three headphones in terms of bass quality, I would have no doubt in my mind...Abyss, Susvara, Ether 2. If you only spent a few tracks with them, you didn't hear them really. As I mentioned, you need some time with the Ether 2 to appreciate them. I totally get when people put them on and aren't immediately impressed. They take a certain amount of acclimation and then when you hear what they do, you look for it in other headphones and are frequently disappointed. They're one of my favorites and very underrated, or maybe I just had a magical pair.

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #13,770 of 22,596
Go here - https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...arman_over-ear_2018/Abyss AB-1266 Phi CC Lite

Try some/all of these in Roon - https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...2018/Abyss AB-1266 Phi CC Lite#parametric-eqs

Or use the convolution engine in Roon. Download these two files referenced below from the first URL and zip them up. Then open the convolution engine in Roon and point to the zipped file.

Don't do both at the same time, as it will double up the correction. Good luck.

Abyss AB-1266 Phi CC Lite minimum phase 44100Hz.wav
Recomputed all results with the new limited slope equalization.
15 days ago

Abyss AB-1266 Phi CC Lite minimum phase 48000Hz.wav
Recomputed all results with the new limited slope equalization.
15 days ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back