The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 2, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #12,226 of 22,531
I finally got a response from Abyss, since the headphone I bought is a used one and the original owner didn't register for the extended warranty at the time of purchase. I'm no longer able to get any more warranty on the headphone.

Anyone knows how much it will cost to have the headphone inspected and repaired without the warranty? I hope it's not too much

Why are you asking here? The only one that knows the answer is Abyss.

Oct 3, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #12,227 of 22,531
I tried to contact Abyss about the situation, but they didn't give me a straight up answer and take days for them to get back to me. My situation is a bit of tricky. One of the ear cups sound muted when I plugged into my Monolith DAC/Amp, but it has no problem producing balanced sound at all when its plugged into the speaker amp. After I unplugged from the speaker amp and plug back into the headphone amp, the sound is normal without the muzzled effect. Has anyone had this experience before?

Oct 3, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #12,228 of 22,531
Who sold you the headphone? He should/could help you out.

I don't see you have any trade history here. You just joined head-fi in August, and purchased one of the most expensive used headphone here??????

We DMed each other. Abyss don't accept used headphones for the extended warranty. The original owner didn't know he could register the headphone for 3 years warranty. The initial reason I joined head fi was to purchase a good used Abyss 1266 TC headphone

Oct 3, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #12,229 of 22,531
I tried to contact Abyss about the situation, but they didn't give me a straight up answer and take days for them to get back to me. My situation is a bit of tricky. One of the ear cups sound muted when I plugged into my Monolith DAC/Amp, but it has no problem producing balanced sound at all when its plugged into the speaker amp. After I unplugged from the speaker amp and plug back into the headphone amp, the sound is normal without the muzzled effect. Has anyone had this experience before?
As people said, it sounds like the “driver falling asleep” thing. This is not a Abyss only thing, I know this happen to some Audezes, like the LCD4z, as well.

I suspect that Abyss won’t give you a straight answer is because they probably don’t have one since that requires them to inspect your actual headphone first. Is not that people are not helping here. If Abyss is the only place that can fix the TC, I don’t know how we can help other than telling you to email them. How much they charge and whether you think it’s reasonable for your problem is between you and Abyss now. But hey, if there is one headphone that worth paying money to fix, it probably would be a TC. They offer warranty on their fixing work, too.

I feel you man, it’s really frustrating. There is always this kind of risk when buying used. I got burned many times until I wised up. You got burned and you learned, life goes on. Good luck.

Oct 3, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #12,230 of 22,531
Has anyone here actually had to pay for a driver replacement? If so, what was the cost for that?

Asking because my 1yr warranty expires this month. It'll be good to know, and mentally prepare for the worst case scenario ie pay for shipping back to USA and then pay for the fix.

Oct 3, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #12,231 of 22,531
So my Abyss faliure...
Left side plays lot quiter than right...
Soo many money throw into trash...

Oct 3, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #12,233 of 22,531
Sounds like "sleeping driver issue" .

Seems similar to mine, which had one channel with no sound until I bumped up the volume knob.

But as yours is just "low volume" and not "no music" until volume is bumped up, I dub thee "sleepy driver issue".

Oct 3, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #12,235 of 22,531
Oct 3, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #12,236 of 22,531
We DMed each other. Abyss don't accept used headphones for the extended warranty. The original owner didn't know he could register the headphone for 3 years warranty. The initial reason I joined head fi was to purchase a good used Abyss 1266 TC headphone

I might have missed your earlier comments. How long have you had them? Did you have the issue when you first received them from the other owner? How did you pay? I’m asking because maybe you can send them back and you have some protection from PayPal or your credit card company.

Oct 3, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #12,237 of 22,531
So my Abyss faliure...
Left side plays lot quiter than right...
Soo many money throw into trash...

Sounds like we have to use the 1266 often to avoid the "sleeping driver" problem.

I hope Abyss can explain what's the root cause of the problem (only the TC PM driver? Does Phi PM also has the same issue?).

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #12,238 of 22,531
Sounds like we have to use the 1266 often to avoid the "sleeping driver" problem.

I hope Abyss can explain what's the root cause of the problem (only the TC PM driver? Does Phi PM also has the same issue?).

If his warranty is over, then likely not a TC as they were released just last year and come with a 3 year warranty. :wink:

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #12,239 of 22,531
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back