The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #12,211 of 22,531
Do you know if there is a number I can call? I tried to email them but didn't get a response back.

check the Spam folder. Recently i’m seeing good emails ended up in Spam folder, even replies which is silly that it would think a reply would be Spam.

Oct 1, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #12,212 of 22,531
check the Spam folder. Recently i’m seeing good emails ended up in Spam folder, even replies which is silly that it would think a reply would be Spam.

I finally got a response from Abyss, since the headphone I bought is a used one and the original owner didn't register for the extended warranty at the time of purchase. I'm no longer able to get any more warranty on the headphone.

Anyone knows how much it will cost to have the headphone inspected and repaired without the warranty? I hope it's not too much

Oct 1, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #12,213 of 22,531
Aww, I'm a little sad about the lukewarm opinions of the HPA4 on here. I quite like it with the TC. The treble is lovely, as is the bass. Relaxed, yet clean and detailed. Very wide soundstage. Though not as deep as the best solid state amps.

Having said that, after several months with it now, I'm beginning to think of the HPA4 as a "nice to have" but also as a "non-essential".

🤷‍♂️

Indeed it's good but I wouldn't miss it. I'm not using mine much anymore with WA33 around but still holding onto it for now.

Have you ever posted impressions of HA300 and TC anywhere? I would like to read that since I'm not aware of anyone else that uses this combo. And especially since you used to have the WA33.

Oct 1, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #12,214 of 22,531
I finally got a response from Abyss, since the headphone I bought is a used one and the original owner didn't register for the extended warranty at the time of purchase. I'm no longer able to get any more warranty on the headphone.

Anyone knows how much it will cost to have the headphone inspected and repaired without the warranty? I hope it's not too much
Isn't it just the headband that broke? You'll just have to buy another headband.

Oct 1, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #12,216 of 22,531
Isn't it just the headband that broke? You'll just have to buy another headband.

Not just that, one of the earcups has issue producing sound when it's plugged into my Monolith Dac/Amp, it will eventfully go back to normal after playing awhile or increase/decrease volume. I don't mind buying the headband, I'm afraid that Abyss will charge a huge amount for the potential repair cost. Not sure if anyone has previous experience with repair without a warranty.

Oct 2, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #12,217 of 22,531
Aww, I'm a little sad about the lukewarm opinions of the HPA4 on here. I quite like it with the TC. The treble is lovely, as is the bass. Relaxed, yet clean and detailed. Very wide soundstage. Though not as deep as the best solid state
You’re right. HPA4 is a great piece of kit and my previous comment is strictly just for my TC paring. If you tend to listen to more gentle music genres and prefer a relaxed, clean sound, the HPA4 is perfectly adequate to drive the TC and a good preamp for a two channel system.

Personally, like many other people, I enjoyed the bass slam and the weighty sound on TC quite a bit. My experience was the HPA4 just won’t do the “woofer on your ear” part justice.

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #12,218 of 22,531
You’re right. HPA4 is a great piece of kit and my previous comment is strictly just for my TC paring. If you tend to listen to more gentle music genres and prefer a relaxed, clean sound, the HPA4 is perfectly adequate to drive the TC and a good preamp for a two channel system.

Personally, like many other people, I enjoyed the bass slam and the weighty sound on TC quite a bit. My experience was the HPA4 just won’t do the “woofer on your ear” part justice.

It certainly will if your DAC and music indicate that it should. You won't find much (if any) colouration with the HPA4 in this regards....think incredibly transparent. :wink:

Oct 2, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #12,219 of 22,531
Just got my abyss TC. They're the best headphones I've ever heard, period. Culmination of 2 years in this journey, but they've certainly rendered the utopia moot. The detail retrieval, sounstage, and bass best the verite open. I'll probably sell both of those. What really separates them for me is the detail retrieval combined with the best bass I've heard on the headphone. Totally unfair comparison but the bass rivals the Legend X IEM. The big difference is the TC does everything well, I really can't find a fault. And I love how you can adjust the ear placement to change the dynamics.

I'll probably keep some of my ZMFs like the auteur and atticus because they're not trying to do what this does, but my first impression is these are my end game. Unless Abyss ups its own game, I don't see it getting much better.

Oct 2, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #12,220 of 22,531
Word. I think that's a fair characterization.

Oct 2, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #12,221 of 22,531
Have you ever posted impressions of HA300 and TC anywhere? I would like to read that since I'm not aware of anyone else that uses this combo. And especially since you used to have the WA33.

I posted some early impressions but they're not super-insightful. Disregard whatever I said about "mid-forward". I need to restrain myself from posting impressions prematurely so much, but you know how it is.

[Edit: I just realized I also posted this a little bit later. These opinions do still hold true for me.].

Anyway, the HA-300 does great with the TC. It has a rich, warm, "expressive" presentation. Moist is the word that comes to mind. IMO this works great with the TC, which can sound a little dry and unengaging in the mids/upper-mids (<ducks>), depending on things. Staging/imaging/depth is very nice. The images themselves are "meaty". Dynamics are great, bass is great (Though with the Susvara, only if I'm being honest, it could use just a shade more power, just a shade tho).

The WA33 is a different animal -- faster, leaner, more solid-state like in its technicalities. Whereas the HA-300 is... 300B-like.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #12,222 of 22,531
I recently input some EQ into Roon for use with the Susvara. Today was Abyss rotation day and I forgot to turn the EQ off. Turns out, the EQ settings sound pretty good with the TC too.. Hell of a lot more low end rumble. I'd be content with just the filter settings from mid bass downwards. If u have some free time, try it out and lemme know what u think.

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...tory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/HIFIMAN Susvara

The opening sequence when the music kicks in for Californian Soil (by London Grammer) is killer.

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #12,223 of 22,531
I recently input some EQ into Roon for use with the Susvara. Today was Abyss rotation day and I forgot to turn the EQ off. Turns out, the EQ settings sound pretty good with the TC too.. Hell of a lot more low end rumble. I'd be content with just the filter settings from mid bass downwards. If u have some free time, try it out and lemme know what u think.

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...tory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/HIFIMAN Susvara

The opening sequence when the music kicks in for Californian Soil (by London Grammer) is killer.
Link not found, curious to give it a try

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #12,224 of 22,531
Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #12,225 of 22,531

Who sold you the headphone? He should/could help you out.

I don't see you have any trade history here. You just joined head-fi in August, and purchased one of the most expensive used headphone here??????

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back