The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 27, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #9,121 of 22,406
I'm still breaking on the Danacable. But so far, am still preferring the stock abyss cable.. Just that little bit more of air, upper end sparkle, and low end thump from the stock cable. It's really a good cable. Maybe just lacking a little in the mids. Would be nice if there was a bit more heft and weight in the mids.

I agree, the Abyss stock cable is surprisingly respect-worthy (or maybe it shouldn't be a surprise; but anyway). Sound-wise, it's the least-lacking stock cable of any flagship headphone I've owned. Very lively, dynamic, and resolving. The Phi was also the only high-end headphone I've had where I did not settle on any third-party cable as a replacement.

I have a TC on the way, and I think this time around I'm going to try avoid cable rolling for a little while (famous last words, though). I have a few nice cables that are either going unutilized (Neotech 23-gauge solid core silver) or am trying to sell (Lazuli Ultra, Lavricables Grand Silver), and it would be simple enough to get them reterminated, but knowing what I do about their inherent sound and that of the stock Abyss cable, I'm not sure how compelled I'll feel to try any of them out with the TC.

As for ergonomics (since this comes up a lot), doing something this simple was enough for me to be satisfied/no longer annoyed:
Velcro strip cable mod. Should only be attempted by those with advanced arts-and-crafts skills.

Oct 27, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #9,122 of 22,406
What's most surprisng about the stock cable is that it projects a huge sound yet the conductors inside are much thinner than any after-market cables. I've demo'ed the Lazuli extensively for 2 weeks, and for a cable that thick you would think it's got more bass and better extension, but no. Not only is the bass more nimble and quick on the stock cable, it also punches harder. I consider the stock cable part of the Abyss just as flat cable is a part of STAX. We wouldn't know what a 009 would sound like with other cables, but we definitely know Abyss wouldn't sound as powerful with most other after-market cables. These are not a throwaway after thought like many stock cables other headphones come with. JPS obviously put a lot of thought into this cable when they're designing it, cuz back in 2013 its stated on the website that the stock cable is already the best there is.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #9,123 of 22,406
If stock is so good already.. And jps super conductor cable is supposedly better.. I fear for my wallet. Again.

Oct 27, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #9,124 of 22,406
I agree, the Abyss stock cable is surprisingly respect-worthy (or maybe it shouldn't be a surprise; but anyway). Sound-wise, it's the least-lacking stock cable of any flagship headphone I've owned. Very lively, dynamic, and resolving. The Phi was also the only high-end headphone I've had where I did not settle on any third-party cable as a replacement.

I have a TC on the way, and I think this time around I'm going to try avoid cable rolling for a little while (famous last words, though). I have a few nice cables that are either going unutilized (Neotech 23-gauge solid core silver) or am trying to sell (Lazuli Ultra, Lavricables Grand Silver), and it would be simple enough to get them reterminated, but knowing what I do about their inherent sound and that of the stock Abyss cable, I'm not sure how compelled I'll feel to try any of them out with the TC.

As for ergonomics (since this comes up a lot), doing something this simple was enough for me to be satisfied/no longer annoyed:

Are there any difference between the lite 4-pin XLR and 3-pin XLR cable?

Oct 27, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #9,125 of 22,406
If stock is so good already.. And jps super conductor cable is supposedly better.. I fear for my wallet. Again.
$5K for a great DAC, ok.

$5K for a great headphone amp, ok.

$5K for a great pair of speakers, ok.

$5K for a great sounding tube amp, ok.

$5K for an Abyss Headphone, ok.

$2K for a cable...?? I can't get over that...arggg...
:moneybag::moneybag:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #9,126 of 22,406
$5K for a great DAC, ok.

I know right... I have exactly the same sentiment. Worse still the length I want is an extra 1k.

Am trying to arrange a home demo with the jps superconductor cable.. Will share my thoughts if the demo materialises.

Oct 27, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #9,128 of 22,406
DELETED.
:L3000::L3000::L3000:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #9,129 of 22,406
You may have to upgrade all those power,xlr, usb cables to >>$2000/foot ones plus a nice audiophile fuse first before the demo.

Forgot the I2S cable. That's very important too.

How did u get to that?

Oct 27, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #9,133 of 22,406
Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #9,134 of 22,406
$5K for a great DAC, ok.

$5k for great speakers or headphones I agree with. The rest really doesn't have to cost that much.

Oct 28, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #9,135 of 22,406
How are you guys protecting your Abyss against dust? I have my other half making some covers for the panels, a kind of cloth 2 sided cover that slips over the 2 sides of each ear piece. I'll post some pic when done for your appraisal.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back