1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by scolaiw, Jun 5, 2013.
First

Back
601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610
612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621
Next

Last
  1. Roasty
    Wow! Congrats in advance. I've not heard a Silverfi cable before. If they cost more than the abyss.. I can only hope to imagine what it would sound like. Looking forward to your listening impressions.

2. Mikey99
    I was in the local headphone shop today and heard a rather unusual request from another customer. He really liked the AB1266, but wanted a “vegan” option - ie, no leather. The shop owner was going to see if he could do a mod, replacing the headband and pads.

Anyone ever heard of such a thing? Any ideas on how to do it?

3. FLTWS
    Really? Buy some heavy duty vinyl / latex cleaning / working gloves and fabricate a headband and ear pads. One would need to do some custom cutting / gluing and sewing. Sounds like an uncomfortable, sticky, sweat-fest but ...

4. jlbrach
    beyond silly to tinker with the pads of such a high end product IMHO

mulder01 and FLTWS like this.
  5. Litlgi74
    Especially when you consider the cow has already been killed... Seems like a waste to not use it after the fact. Lol

6. attmci
    77FBEDC928264FF381CB948E206939B6A4A73DE4_w526_h632.png
    Easy, put a rubber between the pads and the ear, and pretend it's not there, it's not there............

BTW, someone please help this young lady, pls, she is so young

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  7. chimney189
    Good day Abyss owners,
    I've owned the Abyss Diana V2 for just over a month now. I honestly don't see myself ever selling them, but it's hard not to want to listen to the Abyss 1266.

Does anyone have a comparison of these? Also, does the headphone wobble on the head when moving?

Thanks!

8. mulder01
    I believe Joe has made them as a special order before, but he didn't recommend them, and also, $$$. A lot of research and development has gone into making the pads exactly as they are (the lastest pad revision is even an optional upgrade for owners of older models), so it would be silly to have a third party try out a mod.

I have had a cloth headband at one stage though (official) and I don't imagine that would effect the sound.

9. isquirrel
    A long overdue system update:

Well its finally happened. As most of the regulars here know I love my valves and I honestly didn't think I could get any better sound than from my Woo 234's, I even tried the WA33 Elite but the 234's beat the WA33 out. I received about a month ago the relatively new MSB Dynamic HP Amp. Out of the box the soundstage went wider, the resolution increased noticeably and most importantly the Amp was mad foot tapping musically. However I couldn't play my Abyss as I lost the adapter needed for them to work with my DHC cables. Frustrating but being Solid State mean't I could leave the Amp playing 24/7 at least to get the burn in part done.

I eventually found the Abyss TC adapter and wow was it good to be listening to the Abyss TC's again. The Amp has a huge dynamic range 0-139 dB and the Abyss sound just spectacular, jaw dropping good.

I didn't think I would ever say it but this Solid State Amp beats out my beloved 234's in every area.

I only have one upgrade planned next which is to replace the Aurender W20 with a new server, the Taiko Extreme. I hope to have this by Christmas.

Anyone interested in the Aurender W20 just PM me.

Roasty, phase0, simorag and 1 other person like this.
  10. simorag
    Here is a beautiful example of what makes a properly driven AB-1266 TC a special thing.

Immense headstage, plenty of dynamics, layering, almost speaker-like visceral impact (those tympani!) combined with very fine detail retrieval and nuanced timbre :ksc75smile:

Cattura.PNG

STR-1 and Litlgi74 like this.
  11. FLTWS
    Yes it does. I have almost all of Ref. Recordings classical releases.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  12. Litlgi74
    And it's on Tidal!!!!

https://tidal.com/album/45719631

13. gonzalo1004es
  14. Roasty
    That's some serious high end stuff.. I had to Google everything as I'd never heard of them before u posted that..

On a side note.. Am much preferring the 1266 with my wa22 over the hpa4. The tube amp seems to give it a more 3d feel and there is some edginess in the highs which seems to make it more "real". The hpa4 on the other hand, although detailed and clean, seems just a tad bit boring after a while.

asebastian0 likes this.
  15. Roasty
    20191105_200122.jpg

I get to try these out for a couple of days.. JPS superconductor cables. Looking forward to comparing with stock cable and the moon audio silver dragon. I'm secretly hoping I don't like these cables...

astrostar59, cj3209 and simorag like this.
First

Back
601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610
612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621
Next

Last