The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 29, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #9,137 of 22,449
My 1266 TCs arrived today. Looking forward to some time with them this evening :)

Oct 29, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #9,138 of 22,449
I've been looking into this myself. I think the best (and possibly only) option is to get a customizable Pelican Case.

https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1450...ocphy=9027719&hvtargid=pla-435644386450&psc=1

I need to look into exact dimensions, etc., but it should work and be better than a traditional headphone case (my LCD2s had the pelican case, and it worked pretty well, aside from being big and awkward).

Did you ever move forward with this.? If so, how did it work out?

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #9,139 of 22,449
I picked up this case from Amazon and while kind of big it has plenty of room for cables and such.
Monoprice Weatherproof/Shockproof Hard Case - Black IP67 Level dust and Water Protection up to 1 Meter Depth with Customizable Foam, 19" x 16" x 8"

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #9,140 of 22,449
Did you ever move forward with this.? If so, how did it work out?
No, I haven’t yet. I’m still contemplating it though. However, I’m not sure how often I would take the TCs with me on trips.

I need some Diana Phis for travel :thinking:

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #9,141 of 22,449
How are you guys protecting your Abyss against dust? I have my other half making some covers for the panels, a kind of cloth 2 sided cover that slips over the 2 sides of each ear piece. I'll post some pic when done for your appraisal.

I recomend the noble Khan for travel. Great resolution and it is similar to the TC in signature imo .

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #9,142 of 22,449
I picked up this case from Amazon and while kind of big it has plenty of room for cables and such.
Monoprice Weatherproof/Shockproof Hard Case - Black IP67 Level dust and Water Protection up to 1 Meter Depth with Customizable Foam, 19" x 16" x 8"

No, I haven’t yet. I’m still contemplating it though. However, I’m not sure how often I would take the TCs with me on trips.

I need some Diana Phis for travel :thinking:

I found this one which seems to be a good fit and has pick foam:

Nanuk 920
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003JH7ZOA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, I decided against it for now since I'd been using this wine tote for my Utopias and the 1266s fit fine:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B076F4NKFJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The dividers are removable and it has numerous pockets for cables etc, The only downside is that the interior is not soft and fluffy.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #9,143 of 22,449
Just wondering if there is a frequency response chart for the TC. I searched around to no avail.

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #9,145 of 22,449
You are definitely in for a treat. Notice how I tied that in with the date. Sometimes I am too clever for my own good.:jecklinsmile:

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #9,147 of 22,449
I sent back the Danacable LR yesterday. After burning in over several days, and doing quick A/B comparisons with the stock cable.. It just felt like.. How do I put this.. Like it was missing about 2 to 3 percent off the top and 5 percent from the bottom.. For the price, I just couldn't justify keeping it.

I received a Moon Audio Silver Dragon today. I ordered a 10ft length (adding a 5ft length cost an extra 75 bucks which I think is very reasonable considering what other companies are charging for additional length).

Came in a Fedex soft envelope, in a zip loc bag (as did all my previous moon audio cables/adaptors). Nothing fancy. And I'm not actually complaining about it..

Ok the Furutech XLR plug is super solid and hefty and the mini 4 pin Furutech connectors are built so well too! Slides in like a knife thru warm butter.. Really happy with the included connectors/plug.

I've only listened to it for about an hour or so and did some quick a/b as well, and I actually prefer the Silver Dragon over the stock cable. There is this very subtle reverb at the low low end which makes deep bass sound so good and makes it sound like it extends even lower than the stock cable. But it does not lose out on punchiness either. Also, I find there is a bit more meat/thickness in the mids to midbass region, giving the music overall more body. Up top it sounds very similar to stock, and I'm just glad it didn't take away any sparkle/clarity.

I'm going to run in these cables over the next few days, but based on these early impressions, I'm pretty confident they are a keeper.

Seems like Moon Audio is not as talked about or mentioned these days. Personally, I find that quite odd, considering I did very much enjoy their cables with my other headphones..

20191101_203613.jpg

20191101_203701.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #9,148 of 22,449
@Roasty great information, thanks. Appreciate your impressions, sounds like the Moon Dragon fits my preferred sonic profile. I can't imagine burn in would change your mind about them. Is there a trial period offered?

Nov 1, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #9,149 of 22,449
Ive been noticing more cable talk for the abyss so im here to contribute. I have an order of the hr4 signature flagship(14 wires) from silverfi coming in a week or so. Silverfi made the most natural sounding cables ive heard for iems and i thought silverfi's slighly warm and sweet house sound might complement the abyss well. If anyone is interested, ill share pics and initial impressions. I wish i could compare them to LR, silver dragon, and dhc for the community, but since the hr4 cost me more than the abyss, im broke and will have to wait a bit till my next cable purchase.

Nov 1, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #9,150 of 22,449
@Roasty great information, thanks. Appreciate your impressions, sounds like the Moon Dragon fits my preferred sonic profile. I can't imagine burn in would change your mind about them. Is there a trial period offered?

I'm not sure if there is a trial period. U can try write in to Drew. The guys at Moon are really helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back