The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 29, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #16,246 of 22,512
Reference Recordings - A label made for the AB-1266

This historical audiophile label is one of my very favorites when it comes to sheer technical recording quality.

Their style of recording has a special focus on staging grandeur, dynamics and transparency, all of which resonate very well with the AB-1266 strengths, thus making the case for an irresistible, compelling listening experience.

Some of my go-to tracks for bass visceral impact and dynamics are taken from these three recordings. Try the Fanfare for the Common man or the Funeral March for Rikard Nordraak from Trittico at fairly high volume and you will hear typany down to the lower notes thundering with such a violence and scale that no other headphones than the AB-1266 can hope to provide.

copland-fanfare.png organ.png trittico.png

In these recordings (try for example l'Histoire du Soldat) the striking feature is about transparency, instrument placement / separation and detail retrieval. Also, the sense of rhythm and drive is sparklingly exciting.

serendipity.png medinah.png

Nojima Liszt B Sonata and Transcendental Studies is one of my reference recordings (pun intended) when evaluating gear for piano reproduction. The dynamics of this recording is phenomenal, and also the tone and the size of the piano (possibly the most difficult instrument to record there is) are beautiful.

While the TC aren't my favorite headphones for piano, they make listening to this recording very satisfying in terms of low-end extension, speed of the transients and dynamics range.

nojima-liszt.png

This album from the American blues singer, the AB-1266 extract each minute detail of the guitar plucks, the body motion, the deep thumping of the foot on the floor (try Black Nights) in such a vivid way that makes you feel the presence of Doug in the room with you.

Again, I have heard better reproduction of timbre and of the vocals here, but no headphones beat the TC IMHO in making you feel the excitement as from a live experience.

theresatime.png

May 29, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #16,247 of 22,512
RR makes technically great recordings.

May 29, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #16,248 of 22,512
if you want to test the LCD-5 here is my solution for the last finish.:jecklinsmile: The disc fits maybe a µ too big and gives the stability over 100dB and the voices. just have to adjust the 3 holes in the disc for remove the isolation tape. its all from LCD-X with mesh.

Attachments

• 09_20210530_010131.jpg
    09_20210530_010131.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 11_20210530_010109.jpg
    11_20210530_010109.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #16,249 of 22,512
if you want to test the LCD-5 here is my solution for the last finish.:jecklinsmile: The disc fits maybe a µ too big and gives the stability over 100dB and the voices. just have to adjust the 3 holes in the disc for remove the isolation tape. its all from LCD-X with mesh.
One question. Why?

May 30, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #16,250 of 22,512
Some folks put ketchup on their hot dog. Some put beans in their chili. Just the other day I saw a lady eating a big ol’ hoagie roll, with nothing but scoops of vanilla ice cream inside (and she even offered to make me one, and I thought to myself but didn’t say, I’m white but I’m not THAT white). Judge not, friends. Keep head-fi weird.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #16,251 of 22,512
One question. Why?
against the distortion and resonances of the drivers. and it has a positive effect. the abyss has problems over 100dB.

you can try it or not.
Some folks put ketchup on their hot dog.
or you make a joke and leave it.
its a solution for those who want it.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #16,252 of 22,512
against the distortion and resonances of the drivers. and it has a positive effect. the abyss has problems over 100dB.

you can try it or not.

If you read closely, I was actually defending your spirit of experimentation. I live in a country that values life, liberty and the pursuit of CrappyAbyss.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #16,253 of 22,512

you can try it or not.

Interesting idea. A few more questions.

Does it distort at >100db with all amps?

How do you think the outer caps achieve reducing resonance if the sound pressure is being directed in the opposite direction? Do you think it's the LCD-Xs material (I believe it's magnesium?) that dampens resonance? I would think ceramic coated aluminum would be less prone being denser material.

I noticed there are only 2 screws securing the caps in place.

If I try this, does it void warranty?

May 30, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #16,255 of 22,512
I know that's the right answer but I got rebellious genes that I can't ignore

May 30, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #16,256 of 22,512
Do you think it's the LCD-Xs material (I believe it's magnesium?) that dampens resonance?

No, it is the mesh that dampens. this mesh sticks behind the LCD-X cover. to try for this take a isolation tape.
i notice that you have no interest, so don't ask any in the further .
it is a simple try without destruction. but you can more talk about amplifiers.😂

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #16,257 of 22,512
I just think it's kind of hilarious. And not in a bad way. Cover up the "Abyss" logo on the sides of the frame and you could really confuse a credulous fanboy or two.

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #16,258 of 22,512
The whole headphone supply chain is f’d up. I’ve been waiting for my Solitaire Ps and Focal Utopias for several months now too. I just got my LCD-4 after like 6 weeks, due to a wood shortage.

It’s all :deadhorse:

But, I guess Covid?...:thinking:
A clear case for prioritizing the Abyss crew and their support chain for vaccines, if you ask me! 👨‍⚕️💉😷

Jun 1, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #16,259 of 22,512
Screenshot_20210601-220445_Roon.jpg

Well this turned out to be an awesome album. The bass on the abyss is amazing with some of the songs here. Check out the fourth song, Mir. Thunderous bass and sub-bass. Insane! Am totally enjoying this album. Some of the rhythms are just so mesmerising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back