The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 27, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #16,232 of 22,596
What is your opinion of the TC with the Luxman p750u Vs. the XI Audio Formula S?
I can audition the Luxman but not the Formula S. Do you find a significant difference between them?
The TC's on the Luxman is brilliant. The Luxman is full bodied with a warmish tonality. It really helps fill in the TC's midrange. At the same time the Luxman is dynamic with excellent resolve, notes are weighted, imaging is solid and the sound spacious.

The Formula S trades in some warmth for a more neutral presentation. The Formula S is dynamic sounding with excellent speed and attack. The Formula S is punchy, spacious, and more open sounding than the Luxman. They both do bass very well, but the Luxman does bass with more heft. The Formula S doesn't have the meaty sound or the drive of the Luxman. The Formula S is more about finesse and delivering a highly detailed sound. I has a hint of warmth to make music sound very enjoyable. The Formula S has very good imaging, excellent instrument separation, resolution and air. It's more true to the source or transparent so to speak. The Luxman does a house sound and it's easy to pick out when comparing the two amps.

The Luxman is just as detailed but delivers music in a very musical, natural way. It has a tube like sweetness to its sound, but doesn't lack any clarity. It just begs you to turn up the volume and oozes power. I like them both as I get two different sounds. Both play well with all of my headphones. The tonality of the Luxman puts it ahead of the Formula S because it's more enjoyable with a wider range of musical genres. It does a better job with the older, compressed recordings and makes them more listenable. Both are worthy of ownership.

Adding the Powerman to the Formula S is like having a secret weapon. It really ups the ante and improves the Formula S's performance big time and is highly recommended. What it doesn't do is change the tone of the Formula S. All the sonic attributes of the Formula S are enhanced. It's just something about the Luxman's sultry tone and musicality that puts the Formula S/Powerman combo slightly behind the Luxman overall. I feel lucky to own both. :)

May 27, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #16,233 of 22,596
The TC's on the Luxman is brilliant. The Luxman is full bodied with a warmish tonality. It really helps fill in the TC's midrange. At the same time the Luxman is dynamic with excellent resolve, notes are weighted, imaging is solid and the sound spacious.

The Formula S trades in some warmth for a more neutral presentation. The Formula S is dynamic sounding with excellent speed and attack. The Formula S is punchy, spacious, and more open sounding than the Luxman. They both do bass very well, but the Luxman does bass with more heft. The Formula S doesn't have the meaty sound or the drive of the Luxman. The Formula S is more about finesse and delivering a highly detailed sound. I has a hint of warmth to make music sound very enjoyable. The Formula S has very good imaging, excellent instrument separation, resolution and air. It's more true to the source or transparent so to speak. The Luxman does a house sound and it's easy to pick out when comparing the two amps.

The Luxman is just as detailed but delivers music in a very musical, natural way. It has a tube like sweetness to its sound, but doesn't lack any clarity. It just begs you to turn up the volume and oozes power. I like them both as I get two different sounds. Both play well with all of my headphones. The tonality of the Luxman puts it ahead of the Formula S because it's more enjoyable with a wider range of musical genres. It does a better job with the older, compressed recordings and makes them more listenable. Both are worthy of ownership.

Adding the Powerman to the Formula S is like having a secret weapon. It really ups the ante and improves the Formula S's performance big time and is highly recommended. What it doesn't do is change the tone of the Formula S. All the sonic attributes of the Formula S are enhanced. It's just something about the Luxman's sultry tone and musicality that puts the Formula S/Powerman combo slightly behind the Luxman overall. I feel lucky to own both. :)
Great comparison. Tks.

May 27, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #16,234 of 22,596
Re: the Utopia vs. TC. I owned both for quite some time and the TC is simply better. It's just on a slightly different level. That said I really enjoyed the up front mids, the speed and energy of them. But with the TC and Susvara, and 009 on hand, I simply wasn't reaching for them enough, hence the sale. Still a fine headphone, but one level below the above headphones for sure.

May 27, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #16,235 of 22,596
So I managed to organise a couple of hours audition of Hifiman Shangri-la Sr (with the amp and everything, 50k setup). Will be auditioning it sometimes next week. I am trying to get the same opportunity for Sennheiser HE-1, so that I can compare Bartók + AB-1266 vs Shangri-la Sr vs Sennheiser HE-1, but HE-1 won't be ready until June. Is there anything you want me to look for in my comparison? I guess most people do not have access to shops that own these systems, so trying to share my findings with my fellow head-fi friends. If things go well, I may get a chance to listen to Spirit Torino Valkyria (12k headphone) on Bartók sometimes in June/July as well.

As a former Stax-009 owner, I would caution you that if you’re a bass-loving EDM fan, electrostats may not be for you. I am sure the Hifiman and Sennheiser flagships are in a class of their own, but you do have to factor in your tastes with with the tech. That is a wonderful opportunity to hear some fantastic gear though.

I wouldn't necessarily say they might not be for you, but it's something to be aware of. Many stats are really, really different than the TC's and from what I've read on the Shangri La Sr, I'd expect it to sound a bit like the 009 or similar which definitely is different. I would probably focus more on just listening to the Shangri-la Sr rather than looking to compare them.. especially if it's just a short few hour session.

In any case I'm very jealous. I have a pair on the way but hifiman is having some part sourcing issues. Hopefully I'll have them shortly after you've gotten the chance to listen to them :)

May 27, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #16,237 of 22,596

There have been so many low-effort, virtually content-free posts on this forum praising the Formula S, but this one's the first that I've come across that actually gives me a decent idea of what it might actually sound like. Much appreciated.

May 28, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #16,238 of 22,596
There have been so many low-effort, virtually content-free posts on this forum praising the Formula S, but this one's the first that I've come across that actually gives me a decent idea of what it might actually sound like. Much appreciated.
The Formula S is a really good amp, especially when paired with the Powerman. I had it a couple of months before I got the Powerman and I still felt on its own it was better than the V281 I had at the time. The Powerman just pushed even further ahead of the V281. The Formula S was clearer, more resolving, more snappy, imaged better, sounded more nuanced, had better bass definition, and almost matched the V281's bass output. This was without the Powerman :)

May 28, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #16,239 of 22,596
I was looking for an amp for the 1266 I have on order and Flux Lab Acoustics released their long awaited Volot amplifier today so I placed an order. The wait for that to ship is about 3 weeks but I'm looking forward to pairing the 1266 with the Volot when they both arrive. Here's a link to the amplifier if anyone's interested in reading more about it: https://fluxlab-acoustics.com/product/volot-dual-mono-class-a-headphone-amplifier/

May 28, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #16,243 of 22,596
I you want some crazy metal for your Friday, this just released today, and it is indeed crazy.... :smiling_imp:

RzrwArX.png

May 28, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #16,244 of 22,596
I was looking for an amp for the 1266 I have on order and Flux Lab Acoustics released their long awaited Volot amplifier today so I placed an order. The wait for that to ship is about 3 weeks but I'm looking forward to pairing the 1266 with the Volot when they both arrive. Here's a link to the amplifier if anyone's interested in reading more about it: https://fluxlab-acoustics.com/product/volot-dual-mono-class-a-headphone-amplifier/
I don’t know anything about it, but it looks awesome.

May 28, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #16,245 of 22,596
Well, there is hope after all; my AB 1266 could be on the way to me shortly after what seems like eternity…
I hope you get them soon cause then mine won't be far behind :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back