the jerry harvey truth
Aug 24, 2010 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

klipschjoker

New Head-Fier
i am reading around the internet that jerry harvey is not making his own driver like they are claiming he is actually buying from knowles and sonions. shame on him for lying to all audiophile and the engineers who brought this lying junk and ultimate ears is no better i got an question then who is an truthful company that make their own driver instead  buying them plus lol he man is rich on this custom pre-made crap anyway exactly what genre of music can the jh5 pro handle and can't

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 38
Either your a shill or a troll, either way, I'm pretty sure you are wrong.
Even if you are right, JH and UE's customs are well worth the money.
I have AlienEars customs and after demoing the JH-5 recently I should have gone with JH.
I also demo'd the 13's and 10x3 at the same time and the 13's would be well worth it.

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 38
I don't remember reading anywhere that JHA makes their own drivers :) They probably tweak the drivers to their own liking but I don't know any company that sells customs that make their own drivers.

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 38
Yeah I was under the impression that they outsource them.

When the Iceland volcano happened, their JH16's were delayed for a long time, frustrating many people.  The drivers were coming in from some place that obviously had their route go through Europe.  

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 38
From my understanding the drivers are custom made to spec by another company like Knowles but I have no idea what company for sure.

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 38
Does it matter if something is manufactured in-house or whether another company builds them to spec? Lots of things are subcontracted these days. As long as the product is good, I don't care.

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 38
JHA customs are absolutely awesome.  Well worth the money!  I don't care if he's making his own drivers.  Actually I don't think anyone makes their own drivers, most companies order custom drivers from other sources. 

I have the JH5s and they are ridiculously good sounding for $400.  I haven't found they don't work with any kind of music.  They are not the most neutral IEMs though, I find they are towards the warmer side.  Vocals and jazz sounds excellent with them.  

I've just ordered a pair of JH13s as well and they're on their way to me right now.

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #11 of 38
Nobody *makes* their own drivers. I'd like to see you make a flat-screen TV here in the US. You can't. The equipment doesn't exist here. Same with IEM drivers.
JHA has Knowles (AFAIK at least, may be another company, though I'm fairly certain that UE used some Knowles drivers in stuff designed when Jerry was around) custom build their BAs. That's what 90% of companies do, the other 10% use Sonion. (Those aren't actual figures, just used to give you an idea of how nobody does it themselves.)
I see nothing wrong with taking advantage of years of experience with building the transducers and the equipment to do it reliably and with excellent results. In fact, you'd be crazy NOT to use the services Knowles and Sonion offer.

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #12 of 38
Not once has Jerry Harvey (or anyone else from JH Audio) said to me (in countless hours of conversations) that JH Audio manufactures its own drivers.  There are very few manufacturers of these types of drivers in the world.  That said, the drivers can be made to custom, unique specifications.

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 38
Jerry Harvey does design his own BA drivers and has leading manufacturer building them in small series to his exact specifications under an exclusive contract.  Doing the research and the design itself including the Bill of Materials and the Manufacturing Specifications is expensive and time consuming enough but JHA is nowhere near big enough to finance their own manufacturing facility.

Outsourcing the manufacturing of different parts and components such as PCB boards, extrusions, and casings that require special manufacturing facilities and processes is common practice.  The SSD in my Apple MacBook Pro is actually manufactured by Samsung, yet it is still an Apple product because of the combination of its unique design, features and capabilities not found elsewhere.

I would question the OP's ability to read based on the exhibited ability to write.

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:
i am reading around the internet that jerry harvey is not making his own driver like they are claiming he is actually buying from knowles and sonions. shame on him for lying to all audiophile and the engineers who brought this lying junk and ultimate ears is no better i got an question then who is an truthful company that make their own driver instead  buying them plus lol he man is rich on this custom pre-made crap anyway exactly what genre of music can the jh5 pro handle and can't

Unless you have some hard evidence that Jerry claim to make BA driver himself, you shouldn't be pointing your finger around. This thread should be closed.

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #15 of 38
Pretty sure it's the designing and actual implementation of the crossover network that's employed in custom IEMs that makes them sound good, and the pricetags associated to them. Not to mention the equipment to make the molds. Drivers are a small part to the complete package to any IEM, universal or custom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back