The Audio Lounge
Feb 22, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #5,552 of 36,107
You should upgrade to my waterproof mp3 player, the lg v30 :wink: haha
Tell you what you throw yours in a river and let me know how it goes. Mine's staying nice and dry for the moment (treating it like my chainsaw PPE, I trust that it'll work in an emergency, I'm sure as hell not going to test it!)

Feb 22, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #5,553 of 36,107
Tell you what you throw yours in a river and let me know how it goes. Mine's staying nice and dry for the moment (treating it like my chainsaw PPE, I trust that it'll work in an emergency, I'm sure as hell not going to test it!)

I've dunked it in water. Caused a glitch with the USB port (The charging was blocked due to the moisture sensor), but otherwise, everything worked great.

Feb 22, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #5,554 of 36,107
Would of been good to try them out realy intrigued by them and the fit, they look cumbersome how is the fit in general?
Fit I think is probably hit/miss depending on the person. I find it to be middling. They give a couple options for how to secure them, either using a silicone structure that wedges into your concha or the more traditional earhooks. I tried the concha style and wasn't happy with those and they also admit that the earhooks are probably the way to go for most people. The hooks work fine, but I find their shape a bit off. They seem to be fine on the face of things, but you actually realize after using them that they should be 3-dimensionally curved. I probably have to explain that; you know how an ear loop is shaped when you sit it flat on a table? Well imagine that, then put in a curve to make the end of that shape (the part that goes behind the ear) slope up off the table at a very slight angle. That's how I think they should have made it. Right now, it's just that 2D standard ear loop shape which, when paired with how much the nozzle actually sticks out of your ear, makes that end part of the hook press a little against the back outside edge of your outer ear cartilage. Not uncomfortably so, but it's there. But golly, the weird feeling of having the silicone eartip seal and still having it feel open!

@Karendar, does the APEX module tech feel similar to iSines in terms of the pressure equalization? I've had times when I put in my iSine and have the pressure seal like I expect from a normal closed IEM and then that pressure feeling just sort of dissipates.

Is Kayak a new audio gear brand?? What's their sound like??? You have a website?!?!? REVIEWS!!!???!?! :D
Have a good day, guys! :wink:
You should have a listen with some of those Kayaks. Really good open and natural sound :D

Feb 22, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #5,555 of 36,107
Fit I think is probably hit/miss depending on the person. I find it to be middling. They give a couple options for how to secure them, either using a silicone structure that wedges into your concha or the more traditional earhooks. I tried the concha style and wasn't happy with those and they also admit that the earhooks are probably the way to go for most people. The hooks work fine, but I find their shape a bit off. They seem to be fine on the face of things, but you actually realize after using them that they should be 3-dimensionally curved. I probably have to explain that; you know how an ear loop is shaped when you sit it flat on a table? Well imagine that, then put in a curve to make the end of that shape (the part that goes behind the ear) slope up off the table at a very slight angle. That's how I think they should have made it. Right now, it's just that 2D standard ear loop shape which, when paired with how much the nozzle actually sticks out of your ear, makes that end part of the hook press a little against the back outside edge of your outer ear cartilage. Not uncomfortably so, but it's there. But golly, the weird feeling of having the silicone eartip seal and still having it feel open!

@Karendar, does the APEX module tech feel similar to iSines in terms of the pressure equalization? I've had times when I put in my iSine and have the pressure seal like I expect from a normal closed IEM and then that pressure feeling just sort of dissipates.

You should have a listen with some of those Kayaks. Really good open and natural sound :D

That's the thing about any iems in general and where customs come in.. all ears are different.
I had the in ear hooks on some dunus and quite liked it , worked well for me they were a bit loose without them.
I would still like to try the isines but I have small ears so always makes me cautious when buying.

Feb 22, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #5,556 of 36,107

Not sure you can consider a pressure equalization feature as the same thing as the Apex... Pressure from a good seal doesn't really drop after seal with the Apex module, it just seems to be less present than with other IEM's. The Apex module is after all a glorified air/vent hole with a membrane to absorb some of the pressure going to your eardrum... From my understanding of Planar, it does create added pressure due to driver design, which needs to be pressure relieved to not damage your ears...

As for the Kayaks, I'm tempted to listen to them, but I hear the sound is bubbly, leaks and ends up muddy. :D

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #5,557 of 36,107
That's the thing about any iems in general and where customs come in.. all ears are different.
I had the in ear hooks on some dunus and quite liked it , worked well for me they were a bit loose without them.
I would still like to try the isines but I have small ears so always makes me cautious when buying.
I don't consider myself to have large ears; probably small to average. The Audeze in-ear hooks just aren't shaped all to well and are a pain to actually get into your concha. You get some fatiguing ache in a relatively short period of time. For the price I found them, I just had to get them haha.

Not sure you can consider a pressure equalization feature as the same thing as the Apex... Pressure from a good seal doesn't really drop after seal with the Apex module, it just seems to be less present than with other IEM's. The Apex module is after all a glorified air/vent hole with a membrane to absorb some of the pressure going to your eardrum... From my understanding of Planar, it does create added pressure due to driver design, which needs to be pressure relieved to not damage your ears...

As for the Kayaks, I'm tempted to listen to them, but I hear the sound is bubbly, leaks and ends up muddy. :D
So sorta same concept roughly, but on a different level/implementation. Logical enough.

You have to worry about the source a little more with the Kayaks. If you don't have the right output, you're more likely to get this sort of whooshing/rushing water and wet muffled sound rather than the spacious natural sound they're capable of :D

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #5,558 of 36,107
Hadn't heard about planars developing more pressure. That is surprising since planar drivers have very little excursion capability. They are basically like a loose drum head. Which is why planar loudspeakers tend to be so large. Trying to make back all the excursion they give up to dynamic drivers. Usually most pressure is built up in bass frequencies - unless one listens unbelievably loud.

Have a Nigel Dennis Romany 16 ft fiberglass kayak. Haven't used it in lately. Dad has a 18 ft carbon fiber Canadian. He can't use it anymore. Got mine to go with him. Getting old kinda sucks. Now we do headphones.
Thought the kayak talk might divert us slightly from buying more head fi. Don't think it worked. Although I haven't bought any headphones this year..yet. My favorite Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 are on Massdrop. Luckily I already have them. Whoo.

Feb 22, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #5,559 of 36,107
Hadn't heard about planars developing more pressure. That is surprising since planar drivers have very little excursion capability. They are basically like a loose drum head. Which is why planar loudspeakers tend to be so large. Trying to make back all the excursion they give up to dynamic drivers. Usually most pressure is built up in bass frequencies - unless one listens unbelievably loud.

Have a Nigel Dennis Romany 16 ft fiberglass kayak. Haven't used it in lately. Dad has a 18 ft carbon fiber Canadian. He can't use it anymore. Got mine to go with him. Getting old kinda sucks. Now we do headphones.
Thought the kayak talk might divert us slightly from buying more head fi. Don't think it worked. Although I haven't bought any headphones this year..yet. My favorite Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 are on Massdrop. Luckily I already have them. Whoo.

I imagine it's a behavior with Planar IEM's... And yes, pressure is due to air being moved by vibration of the speakers. So isolated within the ear canal beats up your eardrum pretty badly... Hence maybe why Planar IEM's like the iSine need tech to regulate pressure? Dunno.

Feb 22, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #5,560 of 36,107
I imagine it's a behavior with Planar IEM's... And yes, pressure is due to air being moved by vibration of the speakers. So isolated within the ear canal beats up your eardrum pretty badly... Hence maybe why Planar IEM's like the iSine need tech to regulate pressure? Dunno.
Speaking of planars: I auditioned Æon Closed during my lunch break.
Need to begin saving up...

Feb 22, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #5,561 of 36,107
I don't consider myself to have large ears; probably small to average. The Audeze in-ear hooks just aren't shaped all to well and are a pain to actually get into your concha. You get some fatiguing ache in a relatively short period of time. For the price I found them, I just had to get them haha

That's why I looked at them but didn't decide because I thought my ears might be too small , the trinity master were the limit for me and realy I think I was lucky because they were monsters in my ears.

My favorite Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 are on Massdrop. Luckily I already have them. Whoo.
Another product that I still would like to get my hands on, good job I'm quite good at saying no.

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #5,564 of 36,107
Hey man, good to see you back!
Regarding your consideration of a DAP, might I throw a couple more into the mix?
I own and love the iBasso DX200 ($999).
However, I've just heard that they're bringing out a somewhat smaller and lighter version called the DX150, which is going to be priced at $499
Some posts to give you an idea about it.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx2...amp5-fw-2-8-198.791531/page-761#post-14056746
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx2...amp5-fw-2-8-198.791531/page-761#post-14056871
I'd get that. And I'd get a set of their IT01 IEM's to go with it too :wink:
Not that I would ever encourage reckless spending :p

Having said all that, it of course depends what you're looking for in terms of sound signature and functionality? Let us know and I'm sure we can 'help you out' :D

After your message earlier I thought maybe I should hold out for dx200 , I have heard it sounds amazing but I didn't realise until earlier ( hadn't looked to much into it) that it only has one card slot!
I thought it had 2 , big no no for me i just sold my x7 mk1 partly because of one slot....i have 2 x 200 gb cards in my opus1 and growing.
I read the cayin n5ii can hold 800gb 2 x 400gb which was another attraction as well as the glowing sound reviews.

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #5,565 of 36,107
Looks like a really nice site to check stuff out. Those of you who have been here from the first moments of this thread, you'll get a chuckle here: if you scroll down a bit, you'll see the TAE Phantom Sabre :p

Shipping anything to/from Australia sucks. SO expensive cuz it's far away from everywhere.

There is this thread (the one I always used to lurk in) by the well-known |joker|, but I don't think he maintains/updates it anymore.

Now why did you have to go do that?? I was gonna list mine soon for sale! Incidentally, is anyone interested in a white/grey Hifiman Edition S? :D

Midgetguy, Are you still conceding selling your HifiMan Edition S? If so, what would you want for them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back